Finally Moving to AZ! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Finally Moving to AZ!

After several close calls and false alarms, I am moving to Arizona, Tempe specifically.

It's going to be a big change of pace, that's for sure. From Chicago to Tempe, I'll wash the memories of cold away. Well at least partially!

I think it's safe to say I won't be needing my 5HP snow blower.

I am excited, but nervous all the same. I personally don't have a job lined up yet; we're moving due to my wife's job. But hopefully I can scrape something up soon.

Anybody out in AZ? Cool guitar shops? Good guitar techs?

I'm leaving May 1st, should be out there mid week, and then start the fun task of finding a paycheck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Finally Moving to AZ!

I'm rather intrigued by the close calls and false alarms...
Best of luck man, I would have gone to AZ over this crummy winter and come back to enjoy the construction season..err Summer...

Hope all goes well in the move and relocation.

Bamm
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
After several close calls and false alarms, I am moving to Arizona, Tempe specifically.

It's going to be a big change of pace, that's for sure. From Chicago to Tempe, I'll wash the memories of cold away. Well at least partially!

I think it's safe to say I won't be needing my 5HP snow blower.

I am excited, but nervous all the same. I personally don't have a job lined up yet; we're moving due to my wife's job. But hopefully I can scrape something up soon.

Anybody out in AZ? Cool guitar shops? Good guitar techs?

I'm leaving May 1st, should be out there mid week, and then start the fun task of finding a paycheck.
Make sure your car has a great air conditioner, make sure you don't have asthma..the smog here in Phoenix (I'm here on business) is unbelievable!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
I'm rather intrigued by the close calls and false alarms...
Best of luck man, I would have gone to AZ over this crummy winter and come back to enjoy the construction season..err Summer...

Hope all goes well in the move and relocation.

Bamm
I'm sure you'd find the posts if you did a search (unless Glen pruined them, because they're old) but my wife and I both have had opportunities to move west on several occasions, that, for whatever reason, fell through.

Most of them have been due to her job, since her company is across the country. There was a time when we almost moved to Long Beach, Tempe, and even Vegas.

This one finally went through, and it's ironically not even with the company she currently works for.

But yeah, there's been at least 3-4 times before this that there was a high likelihood of going.

Yeah, we're going to miss the winters......er, maybe not!! I have a nice snow blower I just bought, and now I'll probably be giving it away to a relative or something.

It's worth it though, I think. For $200,000 in Phoenix, you can have a house built that in Schaumburg would cost literally $400,000. Plus the taxes are lower too.

So I am hoping for the best.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:00 AM

good luck man! a friend of mine moved out there years ago and the houses and apartments were GREAT! and cheap! he moved back to chicago in a year though. he moved out there by himself to "make it" in music. he just packed his car one day with guitars and clothes and drove out there with gas money. he drove into the sunset with no job out there, no money, no place to live. he just got on the expressway and drove! that's guts man. i could never do that. you have it better than that.... hehe. have fun in the sun!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
good luck man! a friend of mine moved out there years ago and the houses and apartments were GREAT! and cheap! he moved back to chicago in a year though. he moved out there by himself to "make it" in music. he just packed his car one day with guitars and clothes and drove out there with gas money. he drove into the sunset with no job out there, no money, no place to live. he just got on the expressway and drove! that's guts man. i could never do that. you have it better than that.... hehe. have fun in the sun!
That's not just guts dude.....that huge balls!!! I could never do that. He moved out there for the music scene? I didn't know there was one out there. I hope there's something though.

The only struggle I'll have is finding a job.....even with experience and a degree, IT jobs are a bitch to come by.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 01:56 PM

polaris, yes they are. i'm lucky to have a good job in IT. i'm not even close to making killer money but i have a job.

back to my friend from years ago....i think he just wanted to be closer to california and AZ was cheaper to live in. i could never do what he did. as i said, he moved back in a year. his only job was making burgers at a truck stop. i give him TONS of credit.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:04 AM

Welcome to AZ (when you finally get here ) , unless you like digging your car out of snow drifts, you'll like our winters. It still gets cold but nothing like what you're used to. I moved out here from Minnesota 19 years ago, and only miss the snow on xmas day.

In Tempe you have a lot of things around you, I'm not sure where you'll be but there are plenty of guitar stores, there are 2 guitar centers close by too.
There's also bizzarre guitar in phx (which is close by), that usaully has a lot of cool guitars. I haven't been in there in awhile though, so who knows. I haven't had any luck with guitar techs lately, so I learned how to set up my own guitars. There is one place that I did like a lot, it's just a little more of a drive than I'd like, but if I need help I'll try "precision guitar" again, never had any problems with them. I gotta go, I'm at work and my shift is over.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM

Welcome to AZ!

Been living here since birth.

You'll love our winters. Summers will be a bit much though, with it being over 100 degrees every day, lol...

We have all the major guitar places here now (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc). Several of them really. There's also tons of smaller shops here and there. But I've never really been to a lot of the smaller shops since all I ever really do is buy pedals or picks, and Guitar Center fits that pretty well.

Tags
guitar shop , guitar tech , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode