Finished the Koi Pond! Lots o' Pics - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Finished the Koi Pond! Lots o' Pics

Well, I'm probably 90% done.

It looks too messy now, so I'll have to figure a way to make it look a little neater. It looks way worse in the picture than it actually is

it is really hard to take pics of moving underwater objects, so cut me some slack. I have both goldfish and koi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Re: Finished the Koi Pond! Lots o' Pics

Holysh!t man! I love goldfish and koi!!! I wish I do have the place to setup a pond as well. Good job on the pond.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

You know, it is really easy for the most part. Alot easier than I thought.

I only use one chemical to get rid of the algae.The sun takes care of the chlorine, and a single filter system takes care of everything else.

Pretty much all I did is

dig a hole
put the lining in
put in rocks
fill it with water
put some plants in the water
let the filter cycle for a couple days,
and throw some fish in.

a few 25 cent fish died, which was to be expected.

I wish I had room for a bigger pond so I can get larger fish.

Beautiful

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 PM

I didn't know sun can get rid of chlorine, I just love koi, they are beautiful fish. Infact I love all kind of fish, in fact I love animals, I wish to have a bigger place myself too
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

nice work. i just redid my little fish pond as the winter was brutal and the lining ripped after 6 years. i have 4 multicolor fish i added to it last year.... 2 goldfish and 2 koi they're about the size pictured just above. i use no chemicals at all (just let the water aerate for a few days before adding the fish) but do have a pressure filter w/ UV light... glen
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

post some pics!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Vendor

I'll bring my rod!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

hehe... i'll try to take pics soon. when i fill it up (the sun evaporates water off) they swim on the edges eating algea and stuff on the surface.

koi are always going to be bigger than goldfish but in any pond they'll all grow in proportion to the water volume. my bro-inlaw added a pond after he saw mine a few years ago and he didn't add plants or gravel and a heron ate several of his Koi this summer. LOL. last year he killed all of them treating the water... glen
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Nice Thep! I love working on ponds and waterfalls. I haven't done it in awhile, but these pictures make me wish I could get working again!

I worked on a pond full of Koi fish for awhile until a blue herring had a feast and punctured holes in the lining. The algae here is a battle to manage. Tried filters and UV light, but those only allowed more time until the water turned green. It looked like split pea soup!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Dude, you are miles ahead of me.

If I can get home long enough to get some projects done, I'll be happy.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 AM

great pics man.. I have 4 tanks so far Fish keeping is such a nice relaxing hobby. They are cute little buggers too. My Gf has a 800 gal pond with alot of koi. I am actually getting her a 55 gal tank for our anniversary next week.

I have (2) 30 gal, 20 L, and a 10 right now. I have goldfish, swordtails, gouramis, many various cories, 2 pictus catfish, green and tiger barbs, tetras, red tail shark.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Plagues View Post
great pics man.. I have 4 tanks so far Fish keeping is such a nice relaxing hobby. They are cute little buggers too. My Gf has a 800 gal pond with alot of koi. I am actually getting her a 55 gal tank for our anniversary next week.

I have (2) 30 gal, 20 L, and a 10 right now. I have goldfish, swordtails, gouramis, many various cories, 2 pictus catfish, green and tiger barbs, tetras, red tail shark.

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 AM

Reviews: 7

Nice C. Thep I love Koi! I'll see if I can get some nice pics of my koi pond (about 3000 gallons). I think we have about 30 fish or so. Over the winter all the biggest ones died (most likey age since they were bought at the same time). They usually do fine hibernating in winter and the pond freezes over. It's pretty cool, I never knew koi could hibernate in a frozen pond before my family bought this house.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

it's freaky to see them in suspended animation (near hibernation) isn't it. 3000 gal is real nice and quite large but 30 fish might be pushing the limit of the closed ecosystem by 2 dozen fish... glen
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 7

It might be something more like 20, and most are pretty small. But it's been many years like this and they seem to do fine, last winter was the first time any had died.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode