Fire garden or the Extremist? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Fire garden or the Extremist?

Fire garden or the Extremist?

Go nuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Fire garden or the Extremist?

I've seen this movie before...oh no wait, that was PAW vs FIBD...lol ;o)

First, I call this an unfair comparison because Fire Garden has 2 discs of music and Extremist has only one so you're comparing an album that has 18 tracks to support it with an album that only has 10 tracks to support it...again, unfair comparison, imho.

With that said, I would still pick the Extremist album because as a whole I find it more enjoyable to listen to from start to finish...it flows better to me with fewer self indulgent strange musical meanderings (but then Vai is known for that). Although I will say that Fire Garden has my favorite Steve Vai track of all time "Hand on Heart"... I love that song...and I like that particular track more than any single track from the Extremist - but as a whole, if I had to pick one album over the other, I would go with the Extremist...my $.02
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

For fun not fair Mr grey

(My fire garden album is all on 1 disc btw)

With fire garden I wonder why warm regards is not a 7th song. It's really my fave on the album and sits in there with all vais other 7th songs
The Extremist does have a really great feel good opening track!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m t soule View Post
For fun not fair Mr grey
of course m t =)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Thats a tough call... but I would have to say "The Extremist". Friends, The Extremist, Summer Song, and Why... Some awesome work there! Some of my Satch favorites!

But Fire Garden is awesome in it's own right. Mine only has 16 tracks though?? "The Crying Machine" is one of my favorite Vai songs ever... at the end when he drops into pentatonic stuff and goes back and forth with himself it gives me goosebumps. Also Dyin' Day, Hand on Heart, Little Alligator, All About Eve, and Aching Hunger are fantastic tracks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 AM

love them both, but the reality is that the extremist is the only one i can listen to now, so the extremist gets my vote, Plus newblues is my fave satch song ever, hence my user name
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 AM

The Extremist has bigger range of tunes you can sing badly in the shower so it gets my vote - its a cruel question!

I think the only real separator is Vai's work of genius is more of a themed concept album Satch's work of genius is more freeform groove fest....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 PM

Reviews: 3

Hand On Heart is THE song; doriangrey is right... and Dyin' Day is an step aside... would like to see Vai playing them live!
vy100 is online  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Reviews: 6

I really like both. In saying that, I prefer SV on a technical level to JS, but when listening to a JS album I never feel the need to skip tracks. All my absolute favourite guitar players have albums where I literally have to skip tracks otherwise I find myself saying "what the **** were you trying to do there?". With SV I love most tracks, but hate some with a passion, it's the same with FZ, JB, MF,PG, TA, BH, MAB,YJM, however with Joe Satriani and John Petrucci I like all their tracks and love some. So, I would vote for The Extremist as a complete package, however Vai's flashes of brilliance push him above and beyond as a player for me. I also enjoy the feeling that some players do things purely for their own entertainment and probably know that a lot of people will skip the track.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 02:37 PM

I couldn't have one without the other BUT I could drop tracks from FG and it wouldn't make it worse, I would just forget about them over time. "Warm Regards" as mentioned already could have been a 7th song on any of Vais albums for me.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 12:02 PM

War is a great song, but Dyin' Day is where it's at for me.

I'm more of a Vai-minded fella, though.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 4

There is more than enough room for both, buddy.....
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m t soule View Post

With fire garden I wonder why warm regards is not a 7th song. It's really my fave on the album and sits in there with all vais other 7th songs
The Extremist does have a really great feel good opening track!
It was going to be a double disc but the new CD format at the time allowed 80mins of recording so the album instead was broken up into 2phases and Warm Regards is the 7th song on the 2nd phase- it comes on after Boston Rain Melody if you keep letting the 7th Song archives disc play through

I go with Fire Garden just for Bangkok and the Fire Garden Suite alone, that's epic stuff right there!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:34 PM

Never heard satch even come close to the fire garden suite

But I also prefer Vai's style of songwriting

The into, verse, chorus, bridge stuff hardly does it for me (though satch throws curveballs to no question). Unpredictability is my favorite part of cracking into an album and since I'm a strange ass persons, I like the freaky wacko fire garden **** more.

Tags
fire garden , the extremist?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode