First accident advice - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
First accident advice

Hello gents, Im trying to get this to as many eyes as possible.

Long story short, some @$#-hole merged into my lane VERY quickly and without warning. He ended up hitting me and smashed my front fender in pretty good. Cop gives ME(!!!) the ticket!! HOW?! How is that possible???

Factors:
dude was driving a rental car
first cop harassed me (ill explain if I need to)
I had no means of stopping in time to avoid accident

Being my first wreck ever, I have no clue wtf to do about it. Obviously going to call insurance company and go to office tomorrow. I go through geico if anyone cares to chime in.

What should I expect?

heres my damage.

heres the EXACT spot I got hit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: First accident advice

He probably gave you the ticket, cause ur not supposed to drive in another driver's blind spot.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
He probably gave you the ticket, cause ur not supposed to drive in another driver's blind spot.

haha i had to read that like 3 times. I thought you were serious for a minute
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Amybe you were really in his lane, but were texting and din't notice......LOL! Sorry bro, couldn't resist...
Seriously though, sounds like BS to me. What did Johnny Law cite you for? Geico is a good company, so I wouldn't worry too much, but it's going to come down to what the cops cited you for. If it was me--I'd let it go before a judge and present the facts. It could've been a friend of the cop or someone of importance--but that shouldn't matter.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Amybe you were really in his lane, but were texting and din't notice......LOL! Sorry bro, couldn't resist...
Seriously though, sounds like BS to me. What did Johnny Law cite you for? Geico is a good company, so I wouldn't worry too much, but it's going to come down to what the cops cited you for. If it was me--I'd let it go before a judge and present the facts. It could've been a friend of the cop or someone of importance--but that shouldn't matter.
The citation I recieved was "careless operation". A very low level ticket here in LA, so Im not worried about it getting dropped. Im just literally floored! It was SOOOO evident the dude ran into me. In his police report he admitted to swerving into my lane!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM

Reviews: 21

I always throw a quick eye to my 5 or 7 o'clock when changing lanes just in case.
Looks like the jag off who hit you didn't even use his or her mirrors.
They gave you a BS ticket!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I always throw a quick eye to my 5 or 7 o'clock when changing lanes just in case.
Looks like the jag off who hit you didn't even use his or her mirrors.
They gave you a BS ticket!

Always. I've NEVER had an accident before. Kinda shook me up. Harassment by the first cop didnt help me either. If it was in anyway my fault, my headlight would have been busted, its very very clear that my car was side swiped up from the front wheel, is it not? Am i being biased?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM

dunno about the USA, but here in the UK if you hit another car in the rear its always your fault.

Doesnt matter if he was driving like a looney or braking in the fast lane,
its you fault, thats the way the law works. Guess they just decided that to make it easier for the courts and insurance companies.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
dunno about the USA, but here in the UK if you hit another car in the rear its always your fault.

Doesnt matter if he was driving like a looney or braking in the fast lane,
its you fault, thats the way the law works. Guess they just decided that to make it easier for the courts and insurance companies.

didnt hit his rear. He smashed up my side with his side. O.o
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM

when both cars are moving your insurance company and his insurance company will begin to discuss %age of blame.... expect it to not be 100% his fault but definitely fight it. what will not be in your favor is the fact that you got a ticket. did the bastard that hit you get a ticket? you might want to fight the ticket just to ensure that you get the most from his insurance company.... good luck.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 AM

Reviews: 1

I would contest the ticket if you just driving in your own lane and the guy just merged without looking. Then I would seek damages from his insurance. Unless your at fault or you were speeding or something? If you have comprehensive insurance and you file a claim to get your body work done your rates will go way up. Unless you can get the ticket dropped and get the blame placed on him your s.o.l. If you really wanna get deep get an attorney. Get a copy of the police report if you havent already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode