Flat Monitors - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Flat Monitors

Happy new year guys.

Well, got some good info on processors and graphics etcf, rom you guys, but the other thing I'm thinking of is the monitor.

For recording in my room, I'm going to have to move away from CRT, due to the induced noise. Now, we know that CRT pretty much gives the best colour, the best picture, but TFT or LCD must have come a long way by now, so what are the specs that I need to look for on a 19" or larger TFT or LCD to attempt to match the quality of a CRT? Some screens a while ago, I had noticed were nowhere as good as a CRT.

So far I've studied the mS times and dot pitch, but what else do I need to look for to get a good image?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Re: Flat Monitors

If you talk to a graphic expert about CRTs they call some CRT monitors 'over bright', usually meaning you have to have the brightness set to 10 - 20% to get a true black, it is impossible to get a true black on any LCD because they are all so overbright. This makes them useless for photo editing or desing but for recording, you dont need a really good monitor and the radiation factor is probably worth getting an LCD.

Ive settled for a LCD even tho I study design and am a gamer because the monitors I have to use at uni are LCDs so its more important that my desings look the same here and at uni than having them look good just at home, the markers use LCDs as well so it is really important.

If you were getting dual monitors then maybe get one of each, one for recording and one for gaming.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Try here for some high end lcd's if thats what your looking for. http://www.lacie.com/ I think the typical LCD blows away the typical CRT in every way. Maybe for super critical colour rendition the best CRTs are still tops but that doesn't realy apply to most users.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 AM

I agree, for 99% of PC users convience is the top priority.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

My PC is used for even photo editing aswell as music and office apps, so I would like to get the best quality that I can in terms of image and colour capabilities.

I currently have an old NEC Multisync 6FG, which is a 21" CRT, great when it was new, but in recent times, the image is dropping off as the tube is ageing, also of course being CRT, induces noise into pickups and mics, hence the search for LCD or TFT...

...have just been looking at the NEC MultiSync 90GX2, MultiSync 1990FX and MultiSync LCD 1990SXi. All 19" flat panels, although a significant price difference between each model, I've yet to establish the actual difference in image quality between them all and what they can offer me.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Do they even make CRTs anymore?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

I think they do, my dad says extreme high end users where he works (national newspaper) use top notch CRT's due to the colour correction for DTP, page, image setting etc.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i'd skip 19" lcd and go to 21-22" as they offer much higher resolution and hence more desktop space and a finer pixel pitch. these will crush your CRT, which you can visbly see drop off which means it's worse than you even realize. search a similar thread for discussion of LCDs that size.

unless you're programming or doing something where you want a dedicated monitor to one application, i'd also go with one larger LCDs over two smaller ones (ie. one 24" vs two 19"s or two 21"s)... glen
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure how another inch or two will give me alot more, but I noticed the significant jump in price for the extra inch, also the response time seems to get a little slower on them too. But say for cubase, wouldn't the two 19's still be better than one 24" due to horizontal scrolling along the time line?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

check the other similar thread for actual resolutions. i wouldn't do 2x19 the minimum would be 2x20 due to resolution per panel (1440x900 vs 1680x1050). this comes with using both 24" and 19"... glen
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I'll have a go at finding that thread, but, however, if I go up a size, it's almost double the price
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Cool, I'll have a go at finding that thread, but, however, if I go up a size, it's almost double the price
Yeah, thats for sure.

As soon as you go above 21" the prices start to double and go crazy. You should be able to find a quality, well-priced 20" or 21" around though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Even a 20" or 21" is double the cost of the 19" though, crazy. I need to really assess if that extra res is worth my money.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM

It's worth it. If you go widescreen you will see a BIG difference between a 19" and a 22" or 24". In the store it's hard to judge but when you setup your 22 or 24 inch flat screen monitor at home you'll be amazed at how nice it is. I think 22" widescreen will soon become the new standard. There are some good deals out there too.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Do they even make CRTs anymore?
I think mac are the only ones that make them now but theres probably alot left in stock around the place. If you look on a few site you'll eventually find someone with some left overs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode