flu shots...for or against? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

flu shots...for or against?

i'm personally against them. i have not had one in YEARS and i'm fine (physically anyway.) sure i get sick, but it's not too often and i throw it off fast. anyone getting a flu shot will get sick as well, since they can't possibly cover the hundreds or thousands of different strains out there. correct me if i'm wrong, but the flu shot is a very small sample of the flu virus. small enough for your body to fight it off, and therefore preventing you from getting that flu again. there were some cases where people got sick from getting vaccinated.

this came up since my wife asked if i wanted to have my 16 month old son vaccinated. if it can help his immune system, to start him out well, then fine. If it's just shots to get shots, well, i am not sure i want that. is it necessary? he has been sick a few times in the last 16 months but i'm wondering if these are needed to form the "building blocks" of his immune system.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 PM

Re: flu shots...for or against?

I think everyone should get them. It's called herd immunity - if 70% of the population is vaccinated (for example) then the rest are protected by association - the virus can't spread as easily. People that say "I haven't gotten a flu shot and I didn't get sick" are reaping the benefits of all the people that DID get the shot. As for your son - I'd do it - you don't want young kids or the elderly getting the flu - it can get pretty serious.

Edit: And to point out the obvious - getting a cold and the flu are two entirely different things - you'd know it if you actually got the flu
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 PM

Best thing to do for a kids immune system is to let them get ill. But, for those with other medical conditions or compromised immune systems a flu shot makes sense, even though, as you mention, it will only be against one particular strain each time.

Not quite the same thing, but kids growing up in a completely sterile environment have all sorts of problems once they get into the real world and get exposed to things their immune systems have never met before. People forget we are animals, designed to live in mud!
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 PM

Reviews: 18

getting vaccinated certainly wouldn't hurt, unless of course you are being exposed to the new H1N1 vaccine that they are beginning to administer. But even that vaccine isn't potent enough to lead to serious side effects, and least at this stage in development.

The flu spreads like wildfire in schools, it would be wise to vaccinate the kids.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
my wife asked if i wanted to have my 16 month old son vaccinated.

Steve
What is your pediatrician telling you?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM

I'm all for it. Really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXklnXFuA4
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 1

i haven't read any posts except for the first one.

Before I continue I want to ask. How many of the persons here are actual Physicians? Who is a position to seriously have any criteria on this concerns? There are historical medical reasons why flu shots exist nowadays. Before you commit any stupidity please consult with a certified physician that you know is a good one.

Thank You.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL Jim.

Pediatrician would be a better sounding board than online forum since they should know your child's health better than any other health care professional. They also know what other vaccines are administered and the timeline.

I must say i'm fascinated by the immunization gestapo who get all angry when someone refuses a shot. I mean since they are vaccinated they are "protected" so then STFU ....glen

PS - some states require flu shots for school barring religious or other exemption.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Best thing to do for a kids immune system is to let them get ill. But, for those with other medical conditions or compromised immune systems a flu shot makes sense, even though, as you mention, it will only be against one particular strain each time.

Not quite the same thing, but kids growing up in a completely sterile environment have all sorts of problems once they get into the real world and get exposed to things their immune systems have never met before. People forget we are animals, designed to live in mud!

you do not know what a Vaccine is do you?
You mean designed to live in the mud like the children in Africa? Bony Skeletal and with a huge belly filled with parasites?
Oh well I guess that would solve the problem with the world's overpopulation if that's what you mean.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Aganist. It doesn't work very well and you really have no need to get one unless you have a serious health condition.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
LOL Jim.

I must say i'm fascinated by the immunization gestapo who get all angry when someone refuses a shot. I mean since they are vaccinated they are "protected" so then STFU ....glen

PS - some states require flu shots for school barring religious or other exemption.
There are people who are allergic to components of the vaccine, or are unable to take it for health reasons. The only way they are protected is if enough of the rest of population is vaccinated, so the virus doesn't spread. If the vaccine is FREE - I don't see why you wouldn't want to get one. I'm not worried about myself - but I'd feel bad if I transmitted the flu to someone who couldn't handle it . . .
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

how are they free? LOL.

allergic... pharma conglomerates say they're totally safe AND effective. hmmm

the virus (and many new strains for which the immunization has no effect on) will live & circulate & mutate with or without vaccines... make no mistake about that.

it's sorta disingenuous to spin getting a flu shot as protecting every other person alive... glen
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
how are they free? LOL.

allergic... pharma conglomerates say they're totally safe AND effective. hmmm

the virus (and many new strains for which the immunization has no effect on) will live & circulate & mutate with or without vaccines... make no mistake about that.

it's sorta disingenuous to spin getting a flu shot as protecting every other person alive... glen
Look - there are only a few types of influenza circulating at any given time - they make the vaccines by trying to predict which surface antigens the viruses will be expressing the next season, based on analyses of circulating viruses the previous year. The influenza doesn't mutate like you're thinking it does - there are a finite number of surface antigens that can be expressed. Often, they guess wrong, and the strain that spreads one year is one they haven't included in the vaccine.

Here in Canada - the flu shot is free, so there's no reason not to get it.

And protecting every other person alive? No. But if enough people are vaccinated, the virus won't be transmitted as readily - thereby increasing the effectiveness of the vaccine considerably - and protecting many of the people that haven't been vaccinated. When people are getting vaccinated the goal is not to vaccinate EVERYONE - it's impossible - but if enough are, you effectively eliminate the pathogen. Have you been vaccinated against polio? I doubt it.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Thumbs up Re: flu shots...for or against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post

Here in Canada - the flu shot is free, so there's no reason not to get it.
Our tax dollars pay for it. It's not free.

When it comes to vaccines I weigh the risk vs the benefit. There is a risk with taking any vaccine. The risk from the vaccine may be very small but it is there, and long term? who knows. The benefit should outweight this risk. For Polio it does. The flu? for most people no. Chicken pox? no way. I don't agree with vaccinating everyone for everything.
Of course for the drug companies it's a massive windfall every time a new vaccine is pumped into the masses.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I agree with that Rotti. I haven't taken the shots since I was a kid and don't plan to. I know people who get the shot religiously every year and get more sick more often then me. I ride public transportation everyday and very rarely get sick. Yes I have had the flu and know what the nasty symptoms are. I throw it off in a few days max. But this question was in regards to the little kids.

As far as our pediatrician, she gave us the option and wanted to know what we thought. I will be speaking with her. I was simply wondering not about the pros and cons, but simply, for those of you with kids, what did you do. My main question for the pediatrician will be, does it aid in the building blocks or building the immune system for babies / toddlers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

tutorial on how to get great photo shots of guitars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode