Flying with a guitar? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Flying with a guitar?

I recently got a job and moved from Sweden to London. I didn't bring any of my guitars with me thinking I was going to make it without one.

What was I thinking??! I just bought a used guitar rig 2 so the only thing I need is one of my guitars.

So.. my girlfriend is coming over from Sweden next weekend, and I thought that she could bring one.

Is it safe to check in a hardcase with your guitar? Maybe put a lock on it?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: Flying with a guitar?

I would try to avoid having them put it on the plane as luggage, I did that once on a trip from the USA to France then to Israel. When I landed in the Charles de Gaulle airport in France, the case of my guitar was dented badly, luckily the guitar was fine.

You could try having your girlfriend bring it as a carry on. Tell her to tell the people working at the airport that it's an expensive and precious guitar, and tell her to ask them if she could bring it on the plane as a carry on.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 PM

If you are flying Ryanair, Easyjet, or another of those budget airlines, I would recommend you pay the money to ship it and insure it.

In general, your girlfriend can attempt to carry it on, but her success will depend on how much room there is in the overhead bins. On many aircraft, the cased guitar will fit in the overhead, but if the flight is crowded, the attendants will make you check it.

If you have a good hard case, it ought to be alright, but of course there's no guarantee. I have carried on a full-size dreadnought case successfully and I have also checked a cased dreadnought with no problems. But other folks I have heard from have suffered damage to their guitars after checking them.

Peace

Good luck

Mike
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

She's not flying on a budget airline. Is a j-craft case sturdy enough you think?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

tell her to bring it through as hand luggage,that said its in a hard case might be to big,gigbag would be handy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotfish View Post
She's not flying on a budget airline. Is a j-craft case sturdy enough you think?
Then I'd ask her to walk it on to the aircraft and if it won't fit in the overhead bins, she can do something called "gate-checking." When somebody tries to take a baby stroller or some other big item on board, they sometimes are asked to check it planeside. Then you can pick it up immediately afterwards at the arrival gate rather than having to retrieve it at the baggage area. Less chance for damage that way.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 PM

I brought a Jem 7DBK with me from Las Vegas, NV to Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait in 2002 through 2003. I brought it as carry-on, and only in a gig bag. Didn't get a scratch on it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Don't let them stow it. Just beg and be strong and make sure you can take it on board. The J-craft case should fit in the overhead. Mine did from Tokyo to LA and from Tokyo to Nagoya on a small plane too. They'll pretend it puts them out but it actually doesn't.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

My girlfriend was afraid that the guitar was going to be damaged while it was in her hands. And come to think of it, I would hate for that to happen, for the guitar's sake but more importantly for her peace of mind's sake.

So I found another solution... I bought a 1999 Ibanez Jem7vwh instead! =D

Will post some pics in the Jem section soon! I'm very happy with this desperate solution!

*Edit: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/ne...tml#post914872

Last edited by pilotfish; 04-17-2009 at 04:32 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Reviews: 10

i hope you get it back to sweden safely
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotfish View Post
. . .

So I found another solution... I bought a 1999 Ibanez Jem7vwh instead! =D

. . . .
Ha! Any excuse to buy a new guitar! I laughed out loud when I read your post . . .

Hope you enjoy it. Peace.

Mike

Tags
check in , flying , hardcase , travelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode