FOOD FOR SCARY THOUGHTS! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation FOOD FOR SCARY THOUGHTS!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/sc...in&oref=slogin

Im not one to post weird things or off topic..... (clear throat) but

check this fhit out, after spending multi millions, billion? can you see them not firing it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

Re: FOOD FOR SCARY THOUGHTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnutteruk View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/sc...in&oref=slogin

Im not one to post weird things or off topic..... (clear throat) but

check this fhit out, after spending multi millions, billion? can you see them not firing it up?
i would dread to think what thats capeable of.what a waste of money
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 PM

I'd read about this a while ago. Bit of a nasty risk if its true: This might lead to great discoveries, but it might just wipe us all out of existence.

If there's a realistic element of doubt, I'd rather they left it turned off! All sounds like scaremongering to me though.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM

they should have built it on the moon, not much to lose there
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM

I say fire it up!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 PM

I am a little slow on these things. I still don't understand what this machine does. Is it going to provide a new energy source for us, or alternative fuel to run our cars on? I just don't see the point.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:44 PM

no its to study how protons react with each other in hopes of discovering new technologies that are lightyears away

even with the posibility of manipulating and processing atoms at a atomic size in hopes of creating new materials that are possible to co-exist but not found on earth

thats a peice of my understanding of it
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:50 PM

They need to finish that, it could usher in a whole new science, discover new form of energy and physics. Transistors were the biggest discovery of the 20th century, where electricity was the previous century, this machine could bring us to something new and just as big. There was one point is our lives that humans thought that if we traveled more than 10 miles an hour we wouldn't be able to breath, we need to grow up and try new things or continue to think like that. Turn this machine on.

I also want to make another note to that people thought the same thing in earlier collider experiments when experiments with partial/anti-partial collisions were first theorized, oh, look, were still here

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 03-29-2008 at 03:01 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM

That's weird. I was reading this acticle, and a segment about it came on on the history channel. They're saying it is completely safe.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Okay, this just goes to show you how weird and irrational we humans can be. . . so I'm reading this article about how an upcoming experiment might create a black hole that would swallow the earth, and then it mentions how CERN (the experimenter) hasn't filed an environmental impact statement!

I mean, do you catch the absurdity? How would you write that? " . . . side effects might include the end of all life as we know it." LOL.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM

That's great, it starts with an earthquake,
Birds and snakes and aeroplanes.
Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

-"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:14 PM

The guy who filed a lawsuit specializes in radiology. As in, taking x-ray shots of people's bones and stuff. There's no way he really understands what he's talking about here. This lawsuit should be thrown out by the first judge who hears it.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Well, if he's an M.D. radiologist, then he does have to have a pretty good understanding of atomic/nuclear physics, since he deals with it on a daily basis to do his job. On the other hand, it's probably not to the same level as the egghead PhD's running the accelerator. Fire it up, I say.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM
dex

Not wanting to be controversial or anything but this guy filing the lawsuit is nothing short of a conspiracy theorist.
Also I don't see how a law suit filed in Hawaii can have any bearing on a scientific facility built in Switzerland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_H...afety_concerns

The ultimate goal for this is to help us come up with a unified theory that can bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

I'm personally more excited about this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

If ITER and the subsequent DEMO reactor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEMO

work as expected we'll have access to much much cleaner and safer way of energy production by 2050 also by then I'm hoping fuel cells and ultra efficient batteries and ultra efficient electric motors would have replaced most internal combustion engines so we can finally make the jump from fossil fuels into cleaner energy production.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 PM

its going to be a long time before dual trailer semi trucks are replaced by electric motors

i mean for the most part, but its a interesting topic
electric semi's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode