Former guitar collecting partner now has massive pipe/tobacco collection...must see! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Former guitar collecting partner now has massive pipe/tobacco collection...must see!

My buddy and I collected over 80 guitars (mostly Fender, Gibson, Ibanez) but I got married...he he...and he discovered pipe smoking. I dumped gear to finish college and he got into the pipe thing.

Check out his drool worthy collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgo3SeWhOPs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Former guitar collecting partner now has massive pipe/tobacco collection...must s

Not my thing but that IS a very impressive collection
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Vendor

Re: Former guitar collecting partner now has massive pipe/tobacco collection...must s

I don't get it. Can he smoke more than one at the same time?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't get it. Can he smoke more than one at the same time?
At some point I figured out you should live within your means and only have what you need with maybe a couple of wants to satisfy the desire/addiction.

My buddy did his 30 guitars, then got into model building with me but went out on his own accord and bought $1,000 dollars worth of paint and glue which was stupidly over the top. Some of the merch was so unused it dried in its bottles/cans by sitting there on our hobby shelf for years. So then I don't hear much from him for a couple of years and then this pipe/tobacco collection surfaces. I think he switches addictions and needs to have a lot of something for the sake of having a lot of something. But if you do use all those pipes you will get yourself lung cancer very quickly.

It's certainly more than a grand worth of pipes, maybe several grand and to pay guys to restore pipes cannot be cheap either. My current drummer has 30+ guitars himself and it's the second most expensive collection I have seen other than another drummer (this one doesn't play) who only bought pre-CBS Fenders and 1950s Gibsons like his '59 flametops.

I could go on an on about collecting stuff you don't use but I had a pretty decent beer collection when I was under age 10 and I didn't drink. I liked all the labels and shapes and colors of the bottles. The construction crew across the street gave me anything they didn't drink and oddly my parents didn't have an issue with this collection. They knew I had no interest in drinking so my beer collection as a kid is similar to drummers owning tens of thousands worth of guitars.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Vendor

It was just a twist on guitar collectors that everybody rips on saying "but you can only play one at a time".
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It was just a twist on guitar collectors that everybody rips on saying "but you can only play one at a time".
Oh I know that.

I have two and that's good for me and I had three before but gave away unused one. Even if I have a few Ibbys that's OK.

But it was weird seeing some rich kid with a couple of Gibson flametops which I saw for $185,000 and $235,000 for ones similar to his. The thing is he didn't play but even if he did, it's still excessive. Of course when he had them it was 25 years ago so they were far, far less but still a lot of money (maybe $15K).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Vendor

Yea, they took a big hit during the crash. One sold at Skinners in pitiful condition for $400K right before the bubble burst. No special provenance, just a bubble waiting for the pin.

The guy that first got me seriously interested in playing guitar [in the dorms at OU, 1978] was a really good guitar player, could play just about anything, sitting around the dorm playing it on acoustic. One day we were in OKC and stopped at his house for something and were in his room, and there was his Gibson. I said "plug it in dude!" So he plugged it into some amp chassis that was just exposed tubes and the angels started singing. It wasn't till years later when I knew what was what, and it was definitely a Burst.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea, they took a big hit during the crash. One sold at Skinners in pitiful condition for $400K right before the bubble burst. No special provenance, just a bubble waiting for the pin.

The guy that first got me seriously interested in playing guitar [in the dorms at OU, 1978] was a really good guitar player, could play just about anything, sitting around the dorm playing it on acoustic. One day we were in OKC and stopped at his house for something and were in his room, and there was his Gibson. I said "plug it in dude!" So he plugged it into some amp chassis that was just exposed tubes and the angels started singing. It wasn't till years later when I knew what was what, and it was definitely a Burst.
They are special but mostly because the '58-'60 were the first in decades of cherry sunburst Les Pauls and millions of copies, and the black beauty Les Pauls of the old days were first in many black Les Pauls. The reissues sound as good. I did get an old '61 PAF and the angels always sang with that one but you can get a pretty close sound with SD antiquities or Fralins.

The fact that there are only so many first generation bursts or black beauties out there will keep them in high demand, no matter what guitars current players like to use. Some will still maintain that if a burst is ten times the price of the nicest newer Les Paul or custom reissue then it's ten times better. Side by side the reissue Kosoff (still an expensive $14K list) was pretty much the same as the real bursts that were in the same shop. Gibson went so far to even replicate the break in the headstock for those purists. The only thing Gibson can't get today is the uneven crack pattern on lacquer or pitting on old metal parts which you find on most bursts. Those are cosmetic and don't indicate anything in the sound or playability.

There's nothing to do in this small town so I will go down and A/B the bursts again. Nobody buys them and like the small art galleries here, they all keep a Picasso or Monet or Peter Max around just to bring people in to buy far, far more affordable stuff. It's not unlike some pit stop on a truck route that has a 15' foot statue outside the restaurant that costs more than the whole greasy spoon joint. Luckily for me, I like guitar and it's the second such small, uber-collectible shop in my town in the last 20 years. I do feel weird around guitars that cost as much as some houses and my stupid Crocs shoes almost knocked over a rock star guitar last week. I could see myself telling my wife, "I had to buy Nancy Wilson's guitar because I have done broke it!".

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-12-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Tags
pipes and tobacco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode