Is this forum dead?? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Re: Is this forum dead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I can kind of get that. Sometimes I wonder if I gush too much about my own guitars and back off here and there; especially the RG20th.
In all honesty I prefer seeing other people's guitars rather than posting about mine.
I've never been big on posting pics of my guitars. I post them when they're new and then really only if people ask to see a pic of a certain model. I've always been more into it for the discussion, history and technical side of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
Partly due to photobucket being ass hats and making people pay for hosting images, this has deterred people from making an effort in sharing info and images....facebook is too easy in that regard.
It's funny, one of the few active topics on here right now is someone asking about some oddball J Custom serial numbers. If this was FB, I could just walk over to my guitar, point my phone at it and have a pic of exactly what the guy is asking. But the hassle of making that happen here, it's just like eh, not worth the hassle.

A few months ago I made an argument that forums should stop trying to exist in their pre-FB sense and just evolve to co-exist with FB. To me the main purpose of a forum like this is a technical discussion and archive of technical info. Specs and model info is best handled by a Wiki and everyday discussion by FB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
Facebook has taken over as a communication platform.....and i use the term communication very loosely.

Being a part, admin and mod of car forum groups, there is a huge decline in members across the boards.

I've found that the real die hards, true fans stick to the home bases....ie online forums & not facebook groups.
Partly due to photobucket being ass hats and making people pay for hosting images, this has deterred people from making an effort in sharing info and images....facebook is too easy in that regard.

...plus, facebook has a group or page for just about anything, including businesses.

i wouldnt worry if this place is dead.....collectors and true fans will always stick around and come back/return
Your post reminds me of several parables...kind of...
Forums are more specialized in the subject matter discussed and I think there will always be a need for that on the internet. Jemsite is unique because the guitar the site is named after has taken a path few people seem to understand. And Ibanez killed its counterpart: the UV. None of that helped.

The name should stay the same, but for the most part, I think of Jemsite as a MIJ Ibanez forum and it might be the best place for that information.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 AM

Reviews: 21

There's obviously pros and cons to forums. From my experience dealing with both forums and FB...ive found the following to be true.

PROS
-Niche people, more genuine and well behaved. Forums dont tolerate BS. Its more moderated & stupid comments are a rarity.
-Archival properties. Pending on how long a forum has been running....invaluable data is always accessable. Searching said data is easier than other platforms
-People with solid, dependable knowledge. Years of brains trust info is shared and freely given, in the interest of progressing the forum group.
-Forums will always have a higher reputation than a FB page.
-Return clients. Once a passionate member gets derailed by life priorities, they mostly always return...wether to see how things are or to keep on going with their passion.

CONS
-Adding images has proven forums are behind the times. Theres only so much hosting power a forum has, before it has to start charging users a fee to keep it viable. As i said, photobucket has screwed a large percentage of all forums worldwide with their pay to use system. Not only has all previously uploaded images disappeared, its now too much of a hastle for people to figure it out. FB has the upper hand here, as Takin a ride has mentioned.
-FB in particular has a tendency to bring out the worst in people. Rude, opinionated, uneducated and just down right *******s who believe their own hype....have a way of derailing any positive work put into the group. Misinformation runs rampant.
-The social media connection has multiple platforms that are helpful...
-online live feeds
-event hosting
-marketing
-business pages.....just to name a few.
-Forum functions need to be updated to compete in the real world. Old tech that cant keep up.

I believe that all forums will see numbers decline...slowly...but as long as theyre online, the data within is invaluable. It's up to a select group of die hards and passionate people to keep it alive.
Of course that depends on what the forum represents. Ibanez guitars for example...honestly, the Jem is the 3rd highest selling guitar in the world behind the strat and les paul. There will always be an audience for this page. I wouldnt stress about it going away. It has a solid reputation, rarely seen elsewhere......geez, even Vai visits from time to time...that speaks volumes about the work and passion the place has.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 AM

Reviews: 21

I will definitely agree that social media like Facebook are POORLY moderated. Back in the early 00's I was a moderator on an MSNBC board that dealt with politics and economics - and that was far better behaved than Facebook. Not to get into any kind of political or other divisive debate (let's talk The Last Jedi maybe), but Zuckerberg and the like have some balls when they come off at shocked when bad behavior on their site devolves into something worse.
I like that such BS isn't tolerated here. FB group pages are much better modded too so that's a plus but it's left to the discretion of the mods, which on FB seems more fast and loose.

Tags
dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode