Is this forum dead?? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Is this forum dead??

I've been on here for many years. It seems like traffic has all but ceased on most of the topics. I'd think for one of the hugest guitar manufacturers that there'd be a fairly robust forum. Is there a different one people are on or somewhere else you get you Ibanez group info from??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Vendor

Re: Is this forum dead??

On life support. Other forums still seem to be doing well still but evidently much Ibanez participation has gone to Facebook groups.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
On life support. Other forums still seem to be doing well still but evidently much Ibanez participation has gone to Facebook groups.
Dang. I guess that makes sense though. This has always been a more JEMcentric forum which is a fairly small percent of the Ibanez world and most manufacturers of various products are participating on the FB groups.

Any suggestions?
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Vendor

This was always the strongest general Ibanez presence of any forum, including their own. Not sure it still exists but Ibanez had their own. As for the FB grounds I don't even have a personal account much less a biz account but I'm sure it wouldn't take much searching to find them.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 PM

One of the more popular:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ibanez.rg.jem.owners/
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Joined. The request was approved before I answered the questions. lol
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Yup, a bunch of peeps who used to be here are on that one.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 PM

Jemsite may not be the most lively corner of the internet, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is knowledge here you can not find anywhere else. You have a point though, it could use some new "energy."
mike570 likes this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Vendor

By my count there have been 18 posts here today, against 21 there. Not like that's a beehive of activity either, but it is more active. 8 of those 18 were this thread
MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 AM

Hi guys,
I registered today after looking at the threads for years.

Main reason is that I am considering to sell my JCRG Art-1. Rich, any thoughts on this, should I go locally or do you have some customers waiting for one?
Thanks
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB Art-1.jpg (19.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MB Art-1 a.jpg (16.6 KB, 10 views)
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:05 AM

Hi guys,
I registered today after looking at the threads for years.

Main reason is that I am considering to sell my JCRG Art-1. Rich, any thoughts on this, should I go locally or do you have some customers waiting for one?
Thanks
Martin
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:38 AM

More undead than dead.
Speaking as a newer member who came here purely to share information rather than show off or sell stuff I found that some of the 'revenants' on here were pretty hostile to debate or discussion, worse yet some of them had significant powers to limit any such debate that might threaten to break out.
Active threads need to be allowed to grow organically rather than being nipped in the bud.
Difference of opinion is essential in stimulating discourse, I don't care how much money you've got, I want to know what you think and why.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 AM

I'm one of the moderators of the "Ibanez RG Series Fans" FB group. That one has close to 22k members and I feel like I see at least half a dozen join requests per day.

The one linked above is called "Ibanez RG/Jem/Universe Group" and has just shy of 21k members. That one is run by a couple of the original members from here who had a falling out of some sort with people here a number of years back. There are a few personalities in this one I don't care for, so I mostly stick to the one I help run unless there's a really interesting topic.

Rich, I think you'd like that one. This chick is one of their featured members lol

https://www.rockinguitarsonline.com/
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 21

I am on the RG-Jem-Universe page noted above and on the RG Series Fan and AZ Series Facebook pages.
Without seeming negative on any source.... I generally think the forum experience in general is being displaced by Facebook and other social media. I don't think the phenomena is unique to Jemsite.
I will say there are super informative people on those pages and here, but Jemsite IMO has more consistently good info here. I think it's because a lot of the early questions went to Facebook. Like "what pickups should I get?" or "Why won't my trem stay in tune?" Those aren't bad questions but they no longer seem to pop up here with the same frequency as they did in the past. I see those a lot on the facebook pages.
BUT there are a lot of very good players over there too. Magnus, Remy, and I've seen Ken Haas and Frank Falbo over there too. Certainly they always have great info to share.
One thing I am wary of on Facebook is lots of people try to personally friend me. I generally keep my personal page insulated, especially over the last few years. I have strong opinions and use naughty language often. I don't generally friend coworkers and some family members, and if I do they get put into a list where they don't always see my posts. Social media has created a lot of awkward situations over the years and Jemsite has been great of firewalling a lot of that out. Yeah, the gear FB pages keep that out too but when someone from there friend requests me it's a bit odd. I also have young kids so I'm extra cautious.
Content is big over there though. Jemsite used to get good scoops and lately everything new I've seen, notably the AZ series, the FRM 200, and recently the Timmons AZ, I've seen there first.
Content is great there too. It's very easy to take a pic of your axe on your phone and post to a FB group. Here how much space are we allotted? 25 MB? That's like a 1995 kind of restriction. And it's a PITA to post via a HTML link. And do people still use photobucket to link photos? This is where FB, Instagram, and Twitter win - hands down!
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
More undead than dead.
Speaking as a newer member who came here purely to share information rather than show off or sell stuff I found that some of the 'revenants' on here were pretty hostile to debate or discussion, worse yet some of them had significant powers to limit any such debate that might threaten to break out.
Active threads need to be allowed to grow organically rather than being nipped in the bud.
Difference of opinion is essential in stimulating discourse, I don't care how much money you've got, I want to know what you think and why.
Your input and debate always welcome, but the moderators here have always been very strict on tone and aggression. ie. [and I don't know if you did, but as an example] if somebody asks a dumb question and you ask them if they're serious or just dumb, that's going to get nipped in the bud. Otherwise if everything is kept civil all differences of opinion are respected.

Tags
dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode