Friday the 13th - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Friday the 13th

Did anyone else see the trailer for the remake of the original Friday the 13th? Well i have to tell you that i'm already disappointed.
Well turns out Jason Voorhees is on a killing rampage at Camp Crystal Lake...again. Right off the bat, those of you who have seen the original know that the masked maniac wasn't the killer in the original movie. So you might be just as disappointed as I am. Apparently i'm told they work his mother into the movie somehow...would be interesting.
Needless to say i'll probably see the movie bc i am a fan of the series, no matter how lame it gets.
There are only 2 movies that i can think of that i like the remake more than the original. That is Oceans Elevan and one of my all time favorites...the Thing. Have yet to see the remake of Halloween. Was told its good...by the same ppl that said the new Indiana Jones movie was good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Re: Friday the 13th

yep, im a fan about the friday the 13th series and i hear its gonna be good w/e i guess we'll have to wait till it actuly comes out hopefully its good.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

just watched the Halloween redo (directors cut i believe on bluray)... rob "white trashed" it up in the beginning which needed some trimming but the movie finished up strong once they got to haddonfield. with a little better editing and less rob's trailer trash stuff with his wife it would have been even better. worth a watch and surprisingly pretty good regardless. plus they worked in the young girl from H5 as the detectives daughter.

gotta watch the F13 trailer now... i don't expect the remake to be great... the original like Halloween was an absolute timeless classic.

FWIW the new indy movie stunk overall (for any indy movie). very few - if any - remakes have matched or come close to the originals... glen
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
. . . very few - if any - remakes have matched or come close to the originals... glen
Sequels (not remakes per se) that were better than the originals: _The Empire Strikes Back_, _The Godfather Part II_, _Terminator II_.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 PM

The only remake I really liked is Evil Dead 2
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
MFB

I actually have high hopes for this as IMO it looks good

The only problem I had with the trailer was seeing Jason run, cause serial killers like Jason and Michael just don't run after people its all the more terrifying when they can catch up to your sprint just by walking
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
I actually have high hopes for this as IMO it looks good

The only problem I had with the trailer was seeing Jason run, cause serial killers like Jason and Michael just don't run after people its all the more terrifying when they can catch up to your sprint just by walking
in part 2-4 he ran that was before he was a zombie
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
MFB

Hmm, guess its been longer than I had thought since I've watched a Ft13th movie
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
site founder 0% owner

i just watched the F13 trailer and imho it looks good... it's been a while since i saw the originals (which became almost parodies of themselves after pt3). But the remake seems to be a combination of pt1 & pt2. the mothers voice was very good in the trailer... lines right out of pt1... glen
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
just watched the Halloween redo (directors cut i believe on bluray)... rob "white trashed" it up in the beginning which needed some trimming but the movie finished up strong once they got to haddonfield. with a little better editing and less rob's trailer trash stuff with his wife it would have been even better. worth a watch and surprisingly pretty good regardless. plus they worked in the young girl from H5 as the detectives daughter.

gotta watch the F13 trailer now... i don't expect the remake to be great... the original like Halloween was an absolute timeless classic.

FWIW the new indy movie stunk overall (for any indy movie). very few - if any - remakes have matched or come close to the originals... glen
saw the halloween movie it was overall good, whoever played micheal(can't remeber) was good

you just have to get past the trailor trash stuff

i have also heard rumors of a new nightmare on elm street movie which i would fur sure be interested in
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 AM

I've been lapping up all the remakes (well except maybe The Hills Have Eyes 2 - yeuch). They don't have the freshness of the originals, but technically they're considerably better - photography, effects and 'acting' *(anyone who remembers the oldies with a degree of nostalgia needs to watch them again).

Considering how bad the majority of sequels were - most of the Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street sequels were execrable - these remakes can only be an improvement. A fairly cynical way to make money perhaps, but good fun.

I really enjoy Rob Zombie's work and thought he tried very hard to get a proper backstory going**. Since he needs to put Sherri in his films and vids (or no nookie for a while) and Sid Haig is a laugh a minute, I can tolerate the Jerry guest thing at the beginning.

*This is strictly in comparison and generally shouldn't be confused with the thespian art.

** Is there a special edition out? Rob's commentaries are outstanding - he obviously loves film and is always eloquent - and the single disc edition I found had nada by way of extras.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 AM
site founder 0% owner

There is a 2 disc set just came out last week but i only Netflix'd the movie. i don't have time for extras. If you ever want to hear a GREAT commentary track find the Halloween original done by criterion with with john carpenter, hill (diriectors) and jamie lee curtis. worth a listen.

Carpenter's filming & directing of Halloween 1978 was well beyond what Rob could ever do. Amazing work. Just cause you like football, it doesn't make you a star QB. Same for film making.

The problem is, I though the backstory miserably failed

*** SPOILER ***

- even if you forget the trailer stuff, sometimes it's best left to the imagination.. ie. how anakin became darth vader plays better in our mind than on screen. you can't explain in 10 minutes why michael is evil nor should you try.
- i mean a high security prison will be totally unattended where guards go into a prisoners cell without securing the guy who is 3x the size of them... then start to abuse the guy... unbelievable). Sadly that was Robs only real contribution to the Halloween series. Grade F in that regard.

*** END SPOILER***

That said when he took it out of Smith Grove it was a fresh remake paying homage to the original, keeping some suspense and a good stalker flick. None of the characters were as likable as the original however. Loomis did an OK job obviously is no match for Pleasance (an accomplished actor who pulled off playing 007s Blofeld quite well even). too big a set of shoes to fill... glen
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Speaking of remakes sucking, was listening to O&A and they were talking about a Jaws remake coming out, then they got on about how Hollywood would have to add specific ethnicities then it went to the entire cast being black, then they retitled it "Grillz"...
Why does that not surprise me as something Hollywood would end up doing? Imagine someone like Chris Tucker doing the cage monologue. "So, I go in the cage, the cage goes in the water, and theres a mother#&%$ing SHARK in the water?! &^%# that mother *&^#@%$# ! ! !"
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

The new Indiana Jones sucked so bad!!!! I put that one up with the beyond reality movies such as Van Helsing and League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Both movies are good, but were no where near as good as the Indiana Jones movies....well now maybe.

A Jaws remake would probably piss me off, unless they get the ppl who did the transformers FX. I see it being a flop like Deep Blue Sea and Exorcist 4 as far as FX goes. And whom ever is playing Robert Shaw's part (Quinn), he has alot of work to do. Anthony Hopkins might be able to pull it off.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 PM

I can't believe some of you guys are so picky about movies I thought all the sequels and remakes that have come out lately have been great. I love it when they breath new life into an old franchise that I love because it makes me feel a little younger again. I'm getting to the point where I hate how fast things change just when I really start to get in to something everybody moves on to something else. I mean what am I supposed to do now with my Mitsubishi and the 3 foot wing on the back?

Tags
jason voorhees

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode