Funny Ripoffs?? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking Funny Ripoffs??

Ok, now I know to be ripped off isn't cool (lord knows I know that!) but sometimes there is a silver lining in that dark cloud that comes with being shafted.

So does anyone have any funny examples? I'll kick things off with something that happened today...

Some Chinese guy came into the Pub where I work and started offering out DVD's (copies) I told him to leave because you can't sell bootlegs (or anything else for that matter) in the pub, to which he slithered out of the front door without much resistance. One of the guys that was stood at the end of the bar told me the same Chinese guy had been in another pub that he had been in recently and sold his mate a copy of King Kong (the new one with Jack Black) on the day it was released in the cinemas over here. He bought it for a quiet night in with the Mrs. He loads up the DVD, after skipping through the whole movie comes to the conclusion that it was the 1930's black and white version! lol D'oh!

Another time me and a mate were having a beer in a bar in Manchester when some women came in selling socks(!) and offered us 3 pairs of Nike socks for something like £2. Now I'd had a few beers by this point and for some reason thought it'd be a good idea to buy them. The next day I said to my friend "Why did I buy those socks last night? it was a good buy though, 3 pairs for £2!" to which he said he wasn't sure that they were Nike. I looked at the socks and instead of the Nike logo they said HIKE with an upside down tick and a picture of some guy hiking up a mountain. Maybe you had to be there! I almost had a heart-attack

Anyway...

Those are off the top of my head, has anyone else ever been ripped off in a funny way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: Funny Ripoffs??

Ok, another quick one...

A few weeks back I went into a music shop in the northwest looking for an electric piano for my Dad. When it became obvious that they didn't have anything (and because I was being pestered by the shop assistants BIG time) I asked them whether they had any Ibanez guitars. They guy says "I've got the thing for you, something a bit special!" Now at this point I start sweating a bit thinking he's going to pull out a Jem 10th or a DNA, what does he pull out? an RG570. Ok, so it looked nice and I asked how much to which he replied "£800 mate."

£800.

800 QUID for an RG570. That's like $1400-$1500 or something!

Trying to be polite, I said "No thanks, I actually prefer Jem guitars" just to end the debacle, to which he replied "Oh, that's one of those with the handle isn't it? Well, 10 minutes with a jig-saw and you can put one in this! Better yet you can make a handle and stick it on it!" This is all dead-serious from this guy, no glimmer of joke or sarcasm.

So this guy wants me to pay £800 for a guitar and then butcher it with a jig-saw?

YEAH RIGHT.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM

On the line of ripoff RGs, a shop on Denmark Street in London had a fairly ordinary looking early RG (no idea which model) which a sign in the window claimed was a JEM prototype, and it was going for £3000ish. They may well have been telling the truth for all I know, but it certainly didn't look remarkable, let alone £3000 worth.

Perhaps an actual London Jemsiter can shed some light on this?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM

Regards

André

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtolive
On the line of ripoff RGs, a shop on Denmark Street in London had a fairly ordinary looking early RG (no idea which model) which a sign in the window claimed was a JEM prototype, and it was going for £3000ish. They may well have been telling the truth for all I know, but it certainly didn't look remarkable, let alone £3000 worth.

There must be millions of Jem prototypes out there depending on who you listen too, lol.

It was probably just sat there for ages and the shop owners fancied a laugh to see if they could get rid of it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtolive

That reminds me of the time my friend had a pice or crap aria pro 2. This was the ugliest guitar I have ever seen and I picked on him alot for buying it. It sucked, played like garbage, looked like garbage, and sounded like garbage. Anyway after getting picked on alot he sanded the fiish off the headstock so it no longer said aria pro and he replaced the stock picks with some jackson pickups I had laying around and eventually realized the gutiar sucked and traded it in. He went to the store he traded it in at and the guy had a sign on it "Custom Made Jackson $800".
Also if stories where the customer scammed the store count I'm sure I can come up with a few others.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:46 PM

How about funny steals?

Some guy was selling a 1960 LP Black Beauty for $800.... didn't have $800 though!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Had to come back to this one.

I went into the same shop today that offered me the RG570 for £800 and asked them how much for a used Epiphone Les Paul and they had one sat there in the corner, few dings... "Oooh that'll be £400 love" WTF?! Honestly anyone driving past the place would've wondered what was going on because I walked out of there pissing myself laughing.

That's Bonecat music in Rochdale BTW. The same place that tried selling me a fotoflame strat for £700 despite having it listed on e-bay for £400 at the same time. Good old Bonecat, always good for a laugh
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, to add fuel to that, what do you expect when the guy that owns the shop is called "Boner"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Reviews: 1

I bought a guys project 1980 Triumph spitfire for $300.00 with tonneau cover, hard top, convertible top, upgraded suspension, the original zenith carbs along with a 2 bbl Weber carb installed, ceramic headers, the whole 9 yards. It had a loose piston connecting rod, and I was going to rebuild the motor, but got busy with other things. It sat i my drive for about 8 mos when one day a guy came by and offered $3K for it as is. SOLD...

I also bought a 1st year Jem FP for 600, flipped it for double. Those weren't funny except to me because I wasn't looking for them, they just fell in my lap.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Bone cat - more like Fukn Bone head!
The guys a Pr8ck !

He had a boogie DC10 in a few years back......
I asked how much...... £600 Boyo!

I went and got the cash
"heres your £600"
" thats a grand that is boyo"
"you said £600"
" no boyo, i want a grand for that i do......!"

Fu*k off you rip off Welsh twat

Max
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Tell me about it. He told me once that he could build me a strat out of aftermarket parts for £2000 "But it would still be a Fendarrr boyo"

I only went in to buy the ****ing £400 strat I saw on e-bay!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtolive View Post
a shop on Denmark Street in London
All of the shops in Denamrk St are a rip-off and also most of the guys that I've come across working in them are a bunch of ******s! I was looking at a Jackson KE-2 and they wanted £1800 for it! Yeh right, like I'm gonna pay that for one
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtolive View Post

Rockers have this in the window

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar056.html
They've had it for at least 30 months and it was £3995 for good 2 years, no wonder it's still there.

Jemmer, this is what I'm talking about - 2 years ago your average jemsite poster was an Ibanez RG & Jem enthusiast.
Now if it's not for me to tell you what shop has what guitar it's all anecdotal.
Jemsite was a great place to get informed about stuff - now it's a great place to shoot the breeze.
That and watching socially inept people turn every post into awkward "flirting" with the few female members on here.
It's more amusing than it was, I'll give you that.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
dex

To keep the thing lighthearted Andy's on Denmark street had a 3 year old fair condition (some belt buckle rash and several dings, none to the wood) Yamaha SG2000
that they wanted £1100 for when Turnkey (30 yards away) had brand new ones for £950.

Oh the joy I got from going back to Andy's with a Turnkey catalog.
Oh happy day.

Tags
buckle rash , epiphone les paul , ibanez guitars , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

sounds alike are funny

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode