Funny story... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Funny story...

So I bunch of my friends and I went to KLCC (the shopping centre under the Petronas Twin Towers) to celebrate our friend's birthday. We searched for every restaurant, but they were all full. Fortunately, we found a quaint little reastaurant called "Spice of India". My friend asked whether the RM30 we were willing to spend for a'la carte dishes was enough to eat there, otherwise we'd go somewhere else. The maitre'd (or whatever you call them) nodded and checked with the assistant manager. She came back with a 'yes'. So we reserved the place for 15 pax.

When we were waiting for the birthday boy to arrive, we asked the waiter whether we could take our order first. He nodded and came back with a few waiters and immediately served rice, tandoori chicken, naan, lamb rogan josh etc. My cousin felt suspicious so she asked one of the waiters whether this was what we ordered. The waiter told us to go ahead and eat, and so we did.

After we all had our fill, we asked for the bill. The total amount? RM715. What!? After some division it came to about RM50 each. We were all worried. After collecting all the money we had then, we still owed the restaurant RM290. I made the decision to call my parents. They were pissed at first, but agreed to lend the money on the condition that my friends paid them back. After a few minutes, they called back and changed their minds. I thought, 'Oh my, we're screwed'. What they would do is to come over there and have a talk with the manager. And so we waited.

After two hours, my parents arrived. They asked for the manager, and they went to argue. After about another hour, the assistant manager agreed to take RM120 off his salary in order to lower the price of the bill. My mum and my friends paid for the rest.

This is what my friends and I found out: My friend specifically asked RM30 for a'la carte dishes. That means dishes that included service and goverment tax under RM30 (of course we realised drinks weren't included). Instead they served us a buffet style lunch. We thought, 'Okay, this should be under RM30'. We were shocked to find out the total amount. The assistant manager
also told a lie, which stated that my friends asked for dishes ranging from RM30-40. I was standing behind my friend when we reserved tables, and he said nothing of the sort. So ultimately, it was the restaurants fault, and we were glad that we had a mutual agreement. One things for sure, we're never going back there again.

So, have any you guys experienced similar situations?

P.S: Sorry this had to be so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 PM

Re: Funny story...

Oh, the restaurants stories, well i have a story: Its not really a restaurant more like a junk food restaurant, Pizza Hut.
I was in vacations and went to visit my cousins in New Jersey, we decided to got to Pizza Hut and then go to the movies. So we ordered a pie (half peperoni and half cheese) and a pint of cherry coke. So what do we get? We get Diet coke, peperoni pie (im allergic to peperoni) and no cups! What kind of service is this?! So we complain and we get another pie with another mistake (can't remember what pie). So we complain again and decide that we should just pay up and leave. We WERE gonna report this. But when the bill came we payed practically nothing, 10 bucks! So we never complained, but i hate bad service....

P.S. Sucks that the restaurant made a mistake Kamikaze, i hate when that happens.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

going to Pizza Hut when in NJ, even if it was south Jersey should be an offense punishable by law ...glen
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
going to Pizza Hut when in NJ, even if it was south Jersey should be an offense punishable by law ...glen
lol....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:58 PM

I had a similar one at a McDonald's a while back. I asked for a Big Mac and cheese burger, the girl behind the counter charged me for 2 Big Mac's so I politely said I wanted ONE Big Mac and one cheese burger. I sort that out then as I'm walking out of the place I check the bag to see 2 QUARTER POUNDERS, I'm starting to get pissed off at this point because there was kids screetching, etc. plus I wanted to get home quickly (couldn't remember why) So I get my order, one cheese burger and a Big Mac, thank you very much. I wait until I get home with the food, sit down, open the Big Mac box and what was staring at me? a regular 79p cheese burger STILL IN IT'S WRAPPER!! I'm sure they did this for a laugh.

Anyone would of thought it was e bay.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Don't get me started on McDonalds. I can't count the times they've cheated me out of my fries. After the first few incidents, I always ask for the receipt in order to check what I've bought.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 AM

I'm a chef, it's what I do for a living (no, not fast food), so I can sympathize with the need to make money in a very competitive industry but shystering the customers is not the way to do it. If I went to a restaurant and ordered at a specific cost rather than specific items and was assured that it was not a problem then, regardless of what they chose to bring to the table, all that would be paid is what was agreed upon up front. Especially if you questioned whether what was being brought to the table was within the agreed price range. Sounds like that place knows most people will just pay the bill rather than cause a scene and takes advantage of it. I'm not opposed to scenes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 04:15 PM

Here are the results from the United Kingdom:

Pizza Hut:
The London ones have always been very good.

KFC:
They have improved since the 80's, less greasy now than they used to be!

McDonalds:
A few mistakes, but when you see the amount of business they do, it's no real surprise. Good shakes though!
The Paris France branch is chaotic, but they manage quite well.
Brasilia (Brazil) has a few branches too, but they have the best burgers, especially the 'McCheddar', which we do not have in the UK.

Burger King:
I don't go there anymore, but they were ok back in the 80's.

Wendy's:
They used to have one at Marble Arch in London, and it was way better than any other American burger place. I used to get my burgeres there and then walk around the corner to McDonalds for my shake. I think all the Wendys have shut down now.

Upmarket Restaurants:
Some of them have staff who think it is fashionable to be rude. I sit down and, if I get any rudeness, I get up again and walk out without explanation. It makes me feel better, makes them look small and provides an excellent talking point for those people who are brave enough to endure such nonsense.

Family owned restaurants:
I've been to quite a few and they have been mainly excellent, with equal respect given between Staff and Customers. Just because I am paying for food, I do not expect Staff to pander to my every whim. To me these are the best places to eat, and they give you decent size amounts of food!

Happy New Year!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank123
Family owned restaurants:
I've been to quite a few and they have been mainly excellent, with equal respect given between Staff and Customers. Just because I am paying for food, I do not expect Staff to pander to my every whim. To me these are the best places to eat, and they give you decent size amounts of food!
I agree, family owned restaurants are one of the best. I stayed at this family run hotel near the Rhine (I think that's how you spell it, forgive me if it's wrong) river in Germany and the dinner they served (fish and chips) were very nice. Okay, the vegetables were a bit overcooked, but they tasted good nonetheless. Their service was like how a decent family would treat a house guest, which was pleasant.

Oh, and that hotel was one of the cleanest I've ever been to. Miles cleaner than the Hilton in Brussells.

Last edited by King Knall; 01-01-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where to buy mark tremonti the sound and the story
sounds alike are funny

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode