The G3 tour: Vai, Joe, and 'X' - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

The G3 tour: Vai, Joe, and 'X'

I have always wondered why there was the constant lineup changes in the G3.

I have spent a pretty fair amount of time with Joe (and Hamm), Vai and EJ (*I worked in radio for years).

I was wondering if there was any tensions between Steve, Joe and the other? I know there was something like 3 different X players; EJ, Morse and YM.

I dont know about Morse, but I know YM can be a handful to say the least. EJ on the other hand was very polite and soft spoken and always seemed very happy to talk music and jam.

In truth Joe was always nice....but always made me feel as if he really wished he was somewhere else. I 'get' it, as he did look tired and was on tour. He was never a jerk....just a little stand-offish.

I was just wondering if it was the egos of the X player or tensions that caused the lineup changes or was it more to do with time conflicts.

-Stupid question I know but always made me think.

~JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: The G3 tour: Vai, Joe, and 'X'

Your question is surreal.
The lineup changes were caused by the need of making more money so different lineups would achieve different crowd/fans.
Egos and tensions?
They're not dumb emo Twilight lovers, they're professionals who make millions playing and a lot of employees and relatives depend on them.
I wasn't between them but I could bet my soul lineup changes were 100% about making more money.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 1

I thought the whole G3 concept was "Joe, Steve, and a kickass guest guitarist". The third was never meant to be the same one every year. And there have been more than EJ, Morse, and YJM... I know Petrucci was in one time, for example.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
I thought the whole G3 concept was "Joe, Steve, and a kickass guest guitarist". The third was never meant to be the same one every year. And there have been more than EJ, Morse, and YJM... I know Petrucci was in one time, for example.
Yep there were more, they came to Brazil with Robert Fripp.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Paul Gilbert too.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM

Talking Re: The G3 tour: Vai, Joe, and 'X'

Joe, Steve & Buckethead for G3!!!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense now. I never knew the show concept that it was Steve, Joe & +1. I figured there was a reason they didnt just stick with one!

~JH
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 AM

I was let down when I read this thread. I thought Phil X was going to be with them this time.

Also I think Orianthi would be a lot of fun, too. John Mayer, Santana, Beck, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Skunk Baxter, and many others would be a lot of fun. It doesn't always have to be a more modern shredder and I think some classic rock would be nice. Peter Frampton could be a monster, too.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM

Reviews: 25

The G3 Concept from my understanding is its Joe's baby.. Which is why Joe always plays last... New guy first, Vai always in the middle spot because he brings the meat of the concert and Satch at the end...

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 03-30-2013 at 10:14 AM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
The G3 Concept from my understanding is Joe's baby.. Which is why Joe always plays last... New guy first, Vai always in the middle spot because he brings the meat of the concert and Satch at the end...
I recall this being the way of it too. I'm not saying that Joe wouldn't move over if Jimmy Page would come out to play for an evening, but I recall it was basically an idea to get more guitar to more people and although I think (but not know for sure) there have been concerts where Vai couldn't make it it's normally as IbanezFreak says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I was let down when I read this thread. I thought Phil X was going to be with them this time.

Also I think Orianthi would be a lot of fun, too. John Mayer, Santana, Beck, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Skunk Baxter, and many others would be a lot of fun. It doesn't always have to be a more modern shredder and I think some classic rock would be nice. Peter Frampton could be a monster, too.
And I also seem to recall that the idea was originally that it DOES have to be a more modern shredder (although, most of the players we've seen are considered classic rock now anyway with their most famous stuff heading for at least 20 to 25 years old ) the idea was that it was unadulterated guitar, rather than just another rock concert.
jono is online  
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 AM

Reviews: 21

The last G3 I saw was in 2007 with Paul Gilbert, Petrucci, and Satch. PG was awesome. Petrucci was a great player but, IMO, he bores me to tears. Joe was pretty good and the jam at the end was awesome. PG, Vai, and Satch would be my ideal G3.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM

I love almost all of the G3 shows (not an EJ fan).
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Vai and Satch are always gonna be the mainstays, but I'd like a few more "modern" players. As awesome as it is to see these masters of guitar, we've heard all of their songs. More than just a few times.

1. Guthrie Govan. 'Nuff said.
2. Andy James would be interesting, but his stuff at this point is lacking in...uniqueness? BUT he is definitely evolving VERY quickly and his stuff getting better and better.
3. Tosin Abasi/Animals as Leaders would be interesting as AAL is essentially a Tosin Abasi solo gig.
3. Chris Letchford is supposedly making a new solo CD and he would be fun to see with Satch and Vai.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahC View Post
Vai and Satch are always gonna be the mainstays, but I'd like a few more "modern" players. As awesome as it is to see these masters of guitar, we've heard all of their songs. More than just a few times.

1. Guthrie Govan. 'Nuff said.
2. Andy James would be interesting, but his stuff at this point is lacking in...uniqueness? BUT he is definitely evolving VERY quickly and his stuff getting better and better.
3. Tosin Abasi/Animals as Leaders would be interesting as AAL is essentially a Tosin Abasi solo gig.
3. Chris Letchford is supposedly making a new solo CD and he would be fun to see with Satch and Vai.
OK, I have to now check out some new music.

But Tosin would be amazing. That guy has redefined shredding and djent for me. He's really in his own category, which won't last long now that he's famous, and maybe a lot of Tosin sounding players will come along. I can't really figure out what he's doing or what tuning he uses (some say low E on 8th for octave stuff really low), but it's fresh.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
OK, I have to now check out some new music.

But Tosin would be amazing. That guy has redefined shredding and djent for me. He's really in his own category, which won't last long now that he's famous, and maybe a lot of Tosin sounding players will come along. I can't really figure out what he's doing or what tuning he uses (some say low E on 8th for octave stuff really low), but it's fresh.
He uses E B E A D G B E. And yes, he's just ridiculous. I'm looking forward to him years from now when he's defined his style even more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP60ZKw-nm0

And Chris Letchford is one of the players in Scale the Summit, which is a fantastic band and bunch of really cool guys. He actually has a signature .strandberg* guitar now. Andy James is in a band called Sacred Mother Tongue, which just really is not my thing, but his solo work is phenomenal. Aaand hopefully Guthrie Govan is already a known name If not, check out his CD called Erotic Cakes.

Last edited by MicahC; 03-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode