Game won't work - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Game won't work

Hey guys,
So I opened the moving boxes and found an old game I love. It is called Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. I tried everything to get it to run: Virtual PC, XP mode, DosBox, etc .... Does anybody know another way than installing Windows Xp as a second operating system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Game won't work

Hey man, I just want to give you a bump. That was an awesome game, and I figured out how to get it to work but has been forever ago. Google may be your ally here as I am positive you can fix it!

Good luck dude!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 PM

I guess "blowing on the cartridge" isn't the answer you are looking for...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
I guess "blowing on the cartridge" isn't the answer you are looking for...
LOL--first thing I thought of when I saw the post title...LOL. That was an old myth, though. I refurb old 8-bit NES machines, and it's always a bad 72 pin connector that causes that and the blinking red light. You should see the NES I modded with a purple LED!!!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
LOL--first thing I thought of when I saw the post title...LOL. That was an old myth, though. I refurb old 8-bit NES machines, and it's always a bad 72 pin connector that causes that and the blinking red light. You should see the NES I modded with a purple LED!!!
I remember there was an inset notch in old NES games. When the cartidge was down I'd run my finger back and forth on the grove which would slide the cartridge laterally ever so slightly in hopes of getting all 72 connectors to rub together and establish contact. Looking back I think some cartidges simply warped from the heat of playing all day. haha!
For PC I'm not sure. I can't see why that game wouldn't load or run. Shot in the dark but is it your graphics card? It is an old game so that probably isn't it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Have you done anything different to the PC since you last played it? Are there newer patches for it?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Game won't work

Thanks for the help, I figured it out myself. It is an old 16 Bit game, which is not compatible with 64 Bit operating systems. I learned it the hard way. I tried to install XP to get it to run, which screwed up my existing windows installation. Thank god, I had all my important data on another partition. So i formated my main partition and another smaller one, then I installed XP on the smaller one and Windows 7 on the main. You can't install it the other way around, otherwise it wouldn't let you access Windows 7 anymore. So after 15 hours in front of my computer, I needed a shower, some food, I had to reinstall everything again, BUT IT FINALLY WORKS.

Bottom line= Worth it.

Ps: @AlaskaBat You REALLY seem to like purple. I love green to death

Last edited by TheFreak777; 08-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Reviews: 4

Glad you got it, buddy! Having a second partition for a lower bit seems like something everybody should do, great idea!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Reviews: 18

You could've just installed a vm within 7 and play the game that way...

Jimmy
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Glad you got it, buddy! Having a second partition for a lower bit seems like something everybody should do, great idea!
This is the truth!!!!!

I run all of my recording software on a separate Veloci-raptor drive running XP. It's such a simple no frills install and operating system...... I actually miss it!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Virtual machines like XP mode and virtual PC don't work with 3D games. I tried it, as I mentioned in my first post. Acually I liked XP too, but I can't live without the "throw the window at the side of the screen" option.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreak777 View Post
Virtual machines like XP mode and virtual PC don't work with 3D games. I tried it, as I mentioned in my first post. Acually I liked XP too, but I can't live without the "throw the window at the side of the screen" option.
I beg to differ but, you must've not tried properly. As long as you configure the vm properly, you can run anything in it. If you ever decide to venture that route, I'd go with VMWare instead of entry-level solutions like virtual pc and xp mode.

Jimmy
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Ah yes...Episode 1 Pod Racer was an awesome game back then! The official Episode 1 game altogether was rather good too from what I can remember, I finished it a few times and always enjoyed it. The film on the other hand, eek...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Reviews: 2

I installed Need For Speed Underground 2 on my x64 Windows 7 machine but it kept crashing. And it turned out the problem was that those old games just **** themselves when there is more than one thread going. So since my i7 had 8 threads, i set the process to use only one core (Start task manager, right click process, click affinity, and select only core 0).

Works flawlessly. Maybe give that a try next time.

Toodles, Julz.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

That won't work either. You can't even install it on a 64 bit machine because the 16 bit code is not supported anymore.

Tags
pod racer , star wars , windows 7 64bit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode