gas prices; are you kidding? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

gas prices; are you kidding?

$4.59 in chicago. no one cares. it's going up still with no resolution in site. it seems to jump 18 cents every week! heard chicago is the highest in the nation. now....IF there is no price gouging, how can we be the highest in the nation again? shouldn't it be relative? they will keep pushing until no one is driving and pricing goes way up on everything and everyone loses their homes. could it be the mayor tacking on to get the olympics here? he said we wouldn't pay for any of it....or is chicago just a target for some reason. regardless of location now, this bs has to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Re: gas prices; are you kidding?

1.13 per litre for unleaded and about 1.23 per litre for diesel!!

Count yourself lucky you're not this side of the pond !!
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

i'm not sure what that breaks down to but i'm sure it's not good either.
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
i'm not sure what that breaks down to but i'm sure it's not good either.
Read it like this (it's not perfect but close enough for jazz ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
$9.04 per gallon for unleaded and about $9.84 per gallon for diesel!!

Count yourself lucky you're not this side of the pond !!
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 AM

$8.55 per US gallon for unleaded, $9.31 for diesel.

When these threads come up, I'll remind people that we can to choose to live close to work or school. This eliminates our dependence on our cars, strengthens communities, reduces pollution, lowers the amount of stress in our lives, reduces our consumption. I buy a tank of gas a month.

Peace, hope everyone makes it through the recession.

Last edited by Hikey Mikey; 05-19-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Hmm . . . I used 3.785 liters to the gallon and $2 per pound
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post

When these threads come up, I'll remind people that we can to choose to live close to work or school. This eliminates our dependence on our cars, strengthens communities, reduces pollution, lowers the amount of stress in our lives, reduces our consumption. I buy a tank of gas a month.

If you were able to just get up and move closer to work/school you are lucky. Most people have ties to where they live and can't/don't want to move for the sake of freaking gasoline prices. Gas prices do not need to be as high as they are. So many companies are struggling, people are struggling, losing homes, losing jobs etc, etc. If gas prices really "needed" to be so high, Exxon Mobile wouldn't be posting the gigantic profits that they are. They would be hurting just like all the rest of the companies/people. I agree that many things have to be done, but i can't imagine everyone moving closer to their work is a viable option in the least.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:23 AM

We create the world we want through our choices.

Some people have better choices than others, true. Some folks are in tough situations and I'm not going to point out any single family and tell them how to live their lives.

But we as a society, and therefore most of us as individuals, choose. We choose to base our lives around the ownership and operation of a dangerous, highly inefficient and wasteful, enormously expensive automobile. We can also choose to base our lives around other priorities.

We chose to have cheap housing in far-flung suburban sprawl because we chose unsustainably cheap gas. Huge tracts of hundreds of houses with no corner grocery or restaurants? Traffic jams because everybody lives in one place, everybody works in another place, and everybody shops in yet another? We chose them because we chose to drive everywhere.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post

moving closer to work doesn't solve an issue. i would never move closer to a job, since there is never job security. if you're out the door in a year or two, then you get another job, will you move closer to that? for me, a close job would be great! but...you'd be looking at best buy, walgreens, the grocery store, the mall, and that won't support the house and the bills. this is how it is for most people. i thought of looking into something with the village, be it a garbage man, so be it....i'm tired of computers anyway....in the work environment.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

long commutes are going to be a thing of the past... people will smarten up in alot of ways here in the USA... back to carpooling, mass transit... been a long time coming...

sadly, around here nowadays only illegals & those without drivers licenses take "mass transit" at the local level. I know 80 year olds who commute from Queens/brooklyn all around the tri-state area and never drove all their life. different generation of people.

but that doesn't solve any problems at all in regard to industry which is not local nor can costs be cut. Can't avoid travel and delivery trucks get 8MPG and 18-wheelers 4mpg. Cost of goods is gonna sky-rocket... glen
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM

I just pray to God that the government doesn't make us start driving 55 MPH again, in order to conserve fuel.

I cant drive 55!!!!!!
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm praying for all of you who have to drive back home. Gas is more expensive here in Japan but at least I can take effective mass transit.
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Hey, at least it's cheaper than bottled water
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Please no more gas threads. Everytime I have to hear about how much it is in other countries or how much cheaper gas is than other liquids, or hippy ideas like uprooting your family or finding a different job, I want to reach through my computer and choke people.

Last edited by elcid; 05-19-2008 at 12:13 PM.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Please no more gas threads. Everytime I have to hear about how much it is in other countries or how much cheaper gas is than other liquids, or hippy ideas like uprooting your family or finding a different job, I want to reach through my computer and choke people.

What if you came home from work and caught your wife paying more for gas in a foreign country? With real DiMarzios, I might add?
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
What if you came home from work and caught your wife paying more for gas in a foreign country? With real DiMarzios, I might add?

It's all fine so long as she isn't part of this Les Paul craze

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode