The generational iconsistency in jemsite. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
RCB

The generational iconsistency in jemsite.

It amazes me that jemsite hosts so many teenagers or pre teens. I know the internet population is biased towards a young audience, but one would expect that in a site that is meant to celebrate a guitar that was born escentially as the holly grail of 80s hard rock/hair metal the audience would be mostly on their late 20's early 40's.

Also, I noted that in the last couple of years (Ive been attending this site since 2000, although I became a member years later) the younger audience (at least when it comes to the number of posts) is booming.

Another thing that also changed is the tenor of the threads and post. This use to be a place where interesting and sometimes acid arguments with very good points on both sides were made, this is a lot more rare now. At the same time the number of "what should I do?" or in a more general sense "I need a hug" kind of threads have grown in number. The "supportive" kind of post have also grown at the same pace.

Finally the "posting for the purpose of posting" has also become a sport, specially among teenage members.

This is not a rant, and Im not making any judgements about this changes. The forum is a comunity, and its content reflects the preferences of the most active members in that comunity. Some may feel that the change is for the best, feeling that jemsite provides contention or just a nice place to hang around, while other may feel that the forum has lost some depth.

The purpose of this thread, is just know if other members are perceiving this also, or if its just me.

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Re: The generational iconsistency in jemsite.

I agree 100%, well said. I have only been on here about a year, and I have already noticed a change. Being in the military I am used to dealing with all age groups (minus the very young of course) so it isn't anything I'm not used to, but your point is correct. Also, it is very nice the way the different topics are categorized. You can kind of stick with what you are interested in if you like. Like you, not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but your observation is spot on.
post #3 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
. Also, it is very nice the way the different topics are categorized. You can kind of stick with what you are interested in if you like.
True! I mean.....there is only so much you can talk about trems / guitar specs, etc. Tends to get a bit boring, even maddening after a while. It seems that the type of topics, etc have gotten a lot more broad. Myself, I look at that as a good thing. And the fact that it's taken on a ~FAMILY~ type feeling where people who are down can come for support from his/her Jemsite brothers / sisters I personally have made a ton of great friends on this forum.

To me it's better than a forum where there are nothing but a bunch of old foggies getting in the same futile arguements over the SAME points OVER and OVER again

If you see a thread that you think you may not be intetested in.......simply do not click on the link It's that simple.

The guitar / music related threads still FAR out number other / off topic / misc threads! After all, it IS Jemsite

Just my 2 cents (which is worth about a hay-penny )

BTW - RCB, what about the 30 year olds
post #4 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Yeah well, Im not talking about the off topic threads. What I mean is that also the music/guitar related topics suffered the same transformation.

And, the off topic threads are also different. I dont think you should always take your self and the others too serius, and its cool to start a thread about something funny, or unimportant. Its also good when you can excersise you mind or language skills in a heated debate, and that has become a lot rarer.
post #5 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 AM

I'm one of the "older" (age) members here.... and haven't been on here too long either. I used to read the threads on JEM's and tech related stuff until I bought a JEM and decided to join.
Since I kinda expected it to be guitar/gear related all the time, I found that's not quite the case. What I have discovered is the diversity in age and culture here. Not that it can't be annoying at times but what the hey. It's a reflection of the world we live in.
I find my taste in threads and my posted responses very based on my attitude and willingness to be objective. Sometimes when I read a thread I will go and check the originators profile...... looking for age, career, and interests first. Then if I feel the urge to post I try to keep those things in mind.
I agree some members seem to like watching that "post count" go up..... I also think that some of the younger members are pretty darn smart and may just be seeking knowledge, whether about guitars/gear or just life in general.
I also will "post to be posting"..... sometimes just to try and keep things lighthearted. Sometimes a "off the cuff" remark or counterpoint view revives a "dead" thread and provokes thought.
So all in all...... still a pretty nice place to come for cheap entertainment, quality information, and a good old fashioned laugh once in awhile. I guess the thing I remind myself of constantly is that the only thing that remains the same is change itself. For better or worse? Who knows..... and that's pretty subjective at best. Just a thought.
post #6 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Ok..... I been thinking, scary right? Well here's what "gets me".....

#1- members that have lame profiles (no age, vague location, no interests)
#2- taking things way too seriously (no one is "looking" to argue) Most of the time!
#3- members who call others "stupid" or "idiot" (counterproductive)
#4- sanitized threads (removing posts that are controversial but factual. Or even humorous posts at someone else's "expense") Generally what comes around goes around when it comes to joking. And we should all be "mature" enough to take a little ribbing.

#5- moderators with more JEM's than you could wear out in a lifetime (just couldn't resist JJEMMER777)
#6- ________ awwww hell, I'm drawing a blank (is that good or bad?) I don't remember.... anyway, you fill in the blank!
post #7 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

regarding #3 that is inappropriate and you guys should use the REPORT POST feature. we get maybe 1-2 report posts per week so either you guys are pretty complacent reading such attacks or they aren't happening very often ...glen
post #8 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:22 PM

Not happening very often...... plus, you guys do a great job of staying on top of that!
post #9 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Need to borrow some T.P. to wipe that nose with Mikey
post #10 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM

Hey...... look, #4 flew under the radar! (no response from Glen) So, I was just doing a little strokin......
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL. threads are really only deleted - and rarely - if replies get out of control before a mod arrives. if people didn't reply to trolling and insults, nothing would really have to be removed. that said i myself don't recall deleting a thread aside from spam in months. if another moderator feels it's good judgement to delete however, that that makes perfect sense to me ... glen
post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm just glad I got to see Glen make it to 10000 without getting banned. Small victories. My skin is thickening though. And yeah Mikey, the lame profiles thing p's me off too.
post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Off subject.... but how do you determine how long to keep a thread? What's the criteria? Are you required by anybody(Uncle Sam) to save them (to disk or tape) for a reviewable database? Or.... is it just dictated by disk space? I ask because in this day and age of dwindling freedoms and undeterred surveillance, it's nice to be informed.
post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

once in a great while i prune the database, and older threads deleted (ones without posts). mostly offtopic and classifieds. if the database becomes too big (disk space) it just is unmanagable in regards to backup/restore in all reality. with the new dedicated server & management there is no real limits to database size in theory but it's unrealistic to keep the database archived like google... glen
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
I'm just glad I got to see Glen make it to 10000 without getting banned. .

I made it to 14k without a ban, or even a suspension, even when I asked for one [literally]. Although I have picked up a few infraction points
Closed Thread

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode