Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 489
Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Not starting this as a political discussion thread; I don't care what your political affiliations are, or what your ideologies might or might not entail, or for whom you're planning to vote; that's your own business. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on, there is no doubt that this is one of the more pivotal elections in recent memory.

As such, it's your duty as a US citizen to get off your duff and vote tomorrow, November 4th.

That's all. Thanks.
chaos731 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos731 View Post
As such, it's your duty as a US citizen to get off your duff and vote tomorrow, November 4th.
I look at it as a privilege. One that many people around the world do not have. as imperfect as the system may or may not be, we are lucky to have it...
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 489
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I look at it as a privilege. One that many people around the world do not have. as imperfect as the system may or may not be, we are lucky to have it...
It is a privilege; I agree absolutely 100%. It's also a right of citizenship. And that's why it's also a civic duty. Again, regardless of partisanship, I think everyone can agree with these things.
chaos731 is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,600
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

It is a privilege, but it is also a DUTY. It is your duty to vote if you are eligible to vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdRVQ4xwwmQ

jim

edit: skip ahead to the 6 minute mark if this is too long for you

Last edited by jim777; 11-03-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added text
jim777 is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,108
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Already voted, and it was my first time voting. I am so happy to take part in this historic election.
newbieguitarmaker is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,459
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Actually, I just want to remind everyone that in order to keep make the polls less crowded and shorter lines for such and important election. Some sweeping changes have been made. Republican voting takes place tomorrow Nov. 4th, and democrat voting on Wednesday Nov 5th. This way there will be no conflicts at the polls as well. Riots in the streets takes place on Thursday this year. So don't forget, if your candidate doesn't win, go out and break stuff. It's the only way to make your point.

Darin is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,459
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It is your duty to vote if you are eligible to vote.
It's also your duty to vote if you are dead, a cartoon character, and to vote multiple times if you were registered by Acorn.

Quote:
Mickey Mouse is as American as apple pie, and he has starred in films, TV shows and video games. But apparently he can't vote.

Florida elections officials rejected Mickey's application this summer. It is unclear whether Mickey tried to register as a Democrat or a Republican. But the application included a stamped logo of ACORN, the community organizing group that is facing accusations of voter registration fraud.
A message from Obama to those making more than $200K


Last edited by Darin; 11-03-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Darin is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
It's also your duty to vote if you are dead, a cartoon character, and to vote multiple times if you were registered by Acorn.



A message from Obama to those making more than $200K

I thought he dropped it to $150k.
elcid is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,153
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Republican voting takes place tomorrow Nov. 4th, and democrat voting on Wednesday Nov 5th. This way there will be no conflicts at the polls as well.


It amazes me that voting isn't compulsory in the US like it is here in Australia, but I guess the logistics of getting everyone to vote (and fining those who don't... counting the votes... dealing with all the looting that will occur while people are out at the polling booths, hehe) are pretty overwhelming with so many citizens. There are only, like, about 35 Australians in total, so it's easy to make sure we all vote.

Fun fact: We place our vote into the pouch of a kangaroo. There are separate kangaroos for each of the major parties, and when the polls close, we just count how many roos there are in the paddocks.

Voters for the minor parties place their votes in the pouch of a wallaby instead.
Petie is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post


It amazes me that voting isn't compulsory in the US like it is here in Australia, but I guess the logistics of getting everyone to vote (and fining those who don't... counting the votes... dealing with all the looting that will occur while people are out at the polling booths, hehe) are pretty overwhelming with so many citizens. There are only, like, about 35 Australians in total, so it's easy to make sure we all vote.

Fun fact: We place our vote into the pouch of a kangaroo. There are separate kangaroos for each of the major parties, and when the polls close, we just count how many roos there are in the paddocks.

Voters for the minor parties place their votes in the pouch of a wallaby instead.
Crikey!
elcid is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,153
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Crikey!
*adopts Steve Irwin voice* "We've gotta get this wallaby to the Electoral Commission before sundown, cos that's when the bunyips come out, and there's nothing bunyips like more than to chow down on a helpless marsupial swelling with ballot papers cast in favour of the Green Party."
Petie is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
 
CosmicDebris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 3,980
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Playing Devils advocate here but no where in our Constitution does it say we have to vote or it is our duty to vote. The greatest thing about our country is the freedom it provides us. We are free to vote any way we choose without reprisal or if we choose not to vote.

Voting or not voting is a right that many of our current and past Veterans gave their life or part of their life to defend. Many people are not happy with the system and they choose to protest by not voting. Those who choose not to vote should not be looked down upon by those who do.

I might or might not vote tomorrow. That choice is mine and mine alone.

Last edited by CosmicDebris; 11-03-2008 at 08:30 PM.
CosmicDebris is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 31
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Playing Devils advocate here but no where in our Constitution does it say we have to vote or it is our duty to vote. The greatest thing about our country is the freedom it provides us. We are free to vote any way we choose without reprisal or if we choose not to vote.

Voting or not voting is a right that many of our current and past Veterans gave their life or part of their life to defend. Many people are not happy with the system and they choose to protest by not voting. Those who choose not to vote should not be looked down upon by those who do.

I might nor might not vote tomorrow. That choice is mine and mine alone.
Thats why you vote 3rd party if you don't like whats going on. It sends a message to the establishment that you are unhappy and want REAL change. If enough people go 3rd party, the establishment/media WILL take notice and maybe real issues will be addressed.

There are a lot of great alternative parties/candidates out there (Green, libertarian, constitution party) that I recommend people look at before they either vote for the turd sandwich or the giant douche.
axemannate is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemannate View Post
Thats why you vote 3rd party if you don't like whats going on. It sends a message to the establishment that you are unhappy and want REAL change. If enough people go 3rd party, the establishment/media WILL take notice and maybe real issues will be addressed.

There are a lot of great alternative parties/candidates out there (Green, libertarian, constitution party) that I recommend people look at before they either vote for the turd sandwich or the giant douche.
+1

Simply not voting is not an excuse.
waylay00 is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Get your butts out there and vote tomorrow...

I can't believe a dig at Obama was posted here, quoted by a classified watchdog, and ignored for it's political content, and I was reprimanded for calling a douche nozzle an @sshole in another thread.

It could potentially offend someone as it is dealing with politics. It doesn't offend me, because personally I like watching people freak over typed words...However it pisses me off that the rule is the rule until it's not the rule anymore. Unless I do it...But my post will no doubt get deleted so read up quick
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EVERYBODY can help with this, please vote! Davey Polls 32 12-21-2007 02:17 PM
for tomorrow dec. 8 j.arledge Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 7 12-08-2006 09:24 PM
Ibanez Kicked My Butts! Fossil_7 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 16 04-18-2006 04:33 PM
Vote now! Would you participate? The Euphor Off-topic / Miscellaneous 157 02-06-2006 11:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome