Getting guitars signed backstage? How to - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Cool Getting guitars signed backstage? How to

Ok fellow Jemsite members, Im wandering how to go about this.. As Im sure you know, Mr. Vai is on another great tour (The Story of Light). The tour and Vai are coming to my town and I would love nothing more than to get my 2 Jems signed while he graces my small town with his presence and music! LOL So, if I were to buy the extra EVO experience (VIP pack), could I bring my Jems and would bringing 2 Jems be a bad thing? What is the proper thing to do without looking like an ass? If I do get in during EVO w/Jems, do I need to leave after signing and run my guitars home and come back for the rest of the show or can they be trusted leaving backstage til the end? I have never experienced this or have I ever had the chance! Im asking cause I dont think alot of people know how this works. I know vendors have the "in" usually, so maybe some input? How would you go about this? Is it to much trouble? Am I gonna agitate Mr.Vai? IDK..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Getting guitars signed backstage? How to

anyone?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 1

Wondering the same thing. I'll be getting the EVO package tomorrow at 10 am.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 AM

not sure about mr vai, but here in the uk at the satriani concert in bristol the guy sat next to me had the back stage pass, he had to bring the guitar with him into the concert, i dont know about taking 2 guitars to be signed though
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Getting guitars signed backstage? How to

EVO pack is 250.00 on top of 50.00 for ticks. I gotta re-think ...lol thats a dang good gas budget!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Reviews: 4

I took necks off of a UV and a JS to get them signed at a G3 show. But it was a pain to go out after the show and get back into the aftershow.

There is usually a ton of downtime after a EVO pre-show, isn't there? There was when I went back on the first REAL ILLUSIONS tour. (I didn't get to hold EVO though, it was cut short. )
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 25

Just take 2 cavity plates :P
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM

When I went to g3 03', I got meet and greet passes through here sort of. I contacted either vai's or satch's fan sites directly explained I was a member and lo and behold they were generous enough to hook me up with 2 passes! I took two guitars with me, a friend carried the other one and they had a check in area. I was a little nervous but they took my id and made a photocopy, tagged my guitars and only I could pick them back up. Not sure if it works the same as that was 10 years ago, but you have to think they would be prepared for folks to bring the guit stiks in.

OTOH, IbanezFreak has a great point, just take the backplates. The guitars I got signed never get played so the sigs don't get worn off. Taking just the plates kind of solves both issues.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 PM

i was able to take my guitar back too the car.. we had to drive from corpus to houston tho for joe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 PM

Usually I just take backplates as well when i want something signed. Also, if you ever decide to sell it you can swap out the backplate and keep the sig because they arent usually worth much anyways
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 AM

I brought my 10th to the concert, the wardrobe staff took good care of it. I had an aftershow pass, and had a lot of time to go get it before the aftershow started. The signature won't always add value to a guitar, but I think it's cooler to see Vai play my guitar (which he very well might do if you hand it to him) than it is to see him sign a piece of plastic. To me, the signing experience was worth bringing the guitar. Shockingly enough, the signature didn't make the guitar any better, and it's now long gone, without the signature adding any value to it.

Tags
autograph , backstage , evo , jems , mr.vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode