Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,459
Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Face it fellow players, we are surrounded by people that have never heard guitar prog instrumental music. Or, they've heard enough to think its all Mamsteenish sweepy blazing often non-melodic flurries of notes. What they haven't heard is the sweet sounds of EJ or Timmons, Satches Aways with you etc.

What have been your experiences initiating the 'shred virgins' into our world?

My wife like EJ and Timmons, and some Petrucci's new solo cd.

Last edited by Darin; 12-03-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Darin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:35 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

I think you have to understand that this sort of music really, in the end, only appeals to other guitar players. Sure, lots of other people may listen to it, but I honestly hated it myself until I really got into guitar. I think if you play guitar, it gives you a new perspective on this music.
I'm not saying non-musicians won't listen to it, but if helps if you actually play an instrument.
And honestly, this type of music still gets old for me after awhile.
sick-boy is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tn
Posts: 654
Reviews: 4
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

My biggest experiance was back in 2000. My dad's old
high school band from the 60s got together for a weekend.
Well, dad has me go along Sat. night. That's when the
guys were gonna play a little.We were at the lead
singer's house and he says to some one,"hey listen to
this cd Rod (my father) sent me" It was Surfing w/the alien...
Well, dad says to me (in front of everyone) "hey you know that
song, go up there and paly to it(surfing w/the alien)"
Well, I did a few more (satch boogie, YJMs Far beyond the sun)
THEY WENT NUTS!!!!
I had never played in front of that many folks before (25-30).
I got through it but you should have heard all the comments
on how cool that type of music was. They were like kids in a
candy store.Well, that event went on every summer for 4 yrs.
The 3rd year,I actually got to play summer song & satch boogie
and house full of bullets playing my JS10th in front of about 4000
people at a charity event we played at...now THAT was cool!!!!
I had 3 people ask me for a pick after I got done....that was really cool!!!!
The greatest thing happend to me at that event.
When I got done a lady came up to me and said "that was a Joe Satriani song, wasn't it?"
I said yes it was. She said "I sat there in my seat and closed my eyes and you sounded just like him.."
I swear I almost cried right there. What a compliment!!!I took such pride those 4 yrs.
in "taking it to the masses" It was so neat to introduce people to this type of thing.
Now this was in Sioux Falls, SD ,so the people were REALLY REALLY
green to this type of music.
jl2556 is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
 
CosmicDebris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 3,980
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Slip em' a mickey. They will be much more receptive then.
CosmicDebris is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 AM
 
kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,577
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

After nearly 15 years of solo free music, I'm actually surprised at how many "youngsters" are getting familiar with shredders. Our lead guitarist is 10 years younger than me and he shreds like you wouldn't believe - citing his influences as Satch, Vai, Petrucci and he loves any eighties hair band shredders.

It will never be mainstream but it is good to know that today's generation of new guitarists is familiar with this "old" artform.
kirk is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 AM
 
Davey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,800
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Paul Gilbert. Everyone I ever play his stuff for absolutely loves the guy because it's actual 'songs' (for the most part) that just so happen to have arse-kicking guitar in as opposed to 'guitar-pieces' if you get what I'm saying
Davey is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:49 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 226
Reviews: 1
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

yep as i sit here browsing this site i can hear my neighbour blasting out Bon Jovi! Hmmm....what shall i play back twice as loud?

i also hav the misfortune to work with someone, who doesn't play guitar, saying '...i appreciate all types of rock and guitar music...' Then i replied with some rumour about the upcoming G3 tour at the time and his reply was 'oh i'm not bothered about all that crap'

yeah he REALLY appreciates all kinds of rock and guitar music.

luckily there are two other guys in the area, whose kids go to my kids school, who like the 'widdly-diddly' stuff!!

Last edited by nikster; 12-02-2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: blonde moment
nikster is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 226
Reviews: 1
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post

It will never be mainstream but it is good to know that today's generation of new guitarists is familiar with this "old" artform.
Decent music sells itself. thats why in the UK, Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Petrucci etc etc will never be heard on Radio 1 between 7.30 am and 8.00pm (thank god)
nikster is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 AM
 
michblanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston Tx.
Posts: 1,195
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
My biggest experiance was back in 2000. My dad's old
high school band from the 60s got together for a weekend.
Well, dad has me go along Sat. night. That's when the
guys were gonna play a little.We were at the lead
singer's house and he says to some one,"hey listen to
this cd Rod (my father) sent me" It was Surfing w/the alien...
Well, dad says to me (in front of everyone) "hey you know that
song, go up there and paly to it(surfing w/the alien)"
Well, I did a few more (satch boogie, YJMs Far beyond the sun)
THEY WENT NUTS!!!!
I had never played in front of that many folks before (25-30).
I got through it but you should have heard all the comments
on how cool that type of music was. They were like kids in a
candy store.Well, that event went on every summer for 4 yrs.
The 3rd year,I actually got to play summer song & satch boogie
and house full of bullets playing my JS10th in front of about 4000
people at a charity event we played at...now THAT was cool!!!!
I had 3 people ask me for a pick after I got done....that was really cool!!!!
The greatest thing happend to me at that event.
When I got done a lady came up to me and said "that was a Joe Satriani song, wasn't it?"
I said yes it was. She said "I sat there in my seat and closed my eyes and you sounded just like him.."
I swear I almost cried right there. What a compliment!!!I took such pride those 4 yrs.
in "taking it to the masses" It was so neat to introduce people to this type of thing.
Now this was in Sioux Falls, SD ,so the people were REALLY REALLY
green to this type of music.
Thats a great story.
michblanch is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
 
kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,577
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
thats why in the UK, Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Petrucci etc etc will never be heard on Radio 1 between 7.30 am and 8.00pm (thank god)
I don't get it. You don't want shred on the radio?
kirk is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
 
Davey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,800
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

I don't. If it's there in my face all the time I won't want to listen to it anymore. I can't bare to listen to the Foo Fighters ever since the media started bumming them.
Davey is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 970
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Agreed; I would hate for good music to turn into the pile of **** that is Nickelback.
Nordhauser is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Chicagoland, IL.
Posts: 4,348
Reviews: 1
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

The Masses are asses, and for some unholy reason, if it doesn't have lyrics, people can't be bothered.
bammbamm is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 668
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Joe Satriani is actually on the radio quite a bit in Los Angeles...KLOS (95.5) had a full morning feature for him one, maybe last year or the year before...it was cool, he played Satch Boogie and a few other songs along with some from Super Colossal. He's played on the radio on that station, which I'd say is probably the most popular rock station in California, almost regularly.

EDIT:

The proof, if it's too preposterous to anyone...

http://www.955klos.com/photoWallPhot...hotoID=1419004
quiksilverdew is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 970
Re: Getting "those other people" to listen to noodly music.

Don't jump to conclusions now.
Nordhauser is offline  
Reply

Tags
guitar players , heavy metal , joe satriani , paul gilbert , satch boogie

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transcript of Aussie Vai I'view (didnt know where to put it) TheOrangeChannel Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 16 07-25-2006 11:52 PM
are you against downloading music? Sid Vai Polls 60 11-02-2005 07:55 PM
Styles of music - a whimsical lesson GaryUK Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 5 09-28-2004 06:29 AM
Music you listen to that isn't often discussed Artist Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 40 07-27-2004 02:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome