Ghost Disc - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Ghost Disc

I've heard a little about ghost disc and what I'm trying to find out, is if this software will give me what I want.

With a new pc, you can do a total restore back to everything being freshly installed, windows, other software etc is re-installed in a flash and you can start again, as over time, the pc slows down and often requires a re install.

If building my own pc, will ghost allow me to install everything I want, then ghost it, then later on, if need be, format the pc and put the ghost disc onto the hard drive, giving me the system as if I had just re installed everything seperatly?

I know this question may seem obvious, but I haven't actually used ghost before, so not in the knowledge at present.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Ghost Disc

You pretty much nailed it. Ghost can allow you to burn a disc so you can recreate your config anytime using that disc.

Jimmy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

yes. norton ghost or acronis... glen
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 04:00 PM

I used the DOS versions of ghost for years and they are great !

restore one fully working image (a captued image of a (your) hard drive using ghost) and restore it to any partition - or disk in about an hour !

dont know about the newer versions though, I stopped using it a v6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I might get ghost and experiment with it with my current and old Athlon XP1700 machine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quick question on the ghost front. Can I actually copy the entire C drive to a DVD or removable drive? Just been going through the Ghost V10 manual online and can't seem to find much about ghost, other that it being the usual back up stuff.

So can I like, copy the entire C drive to a DVD or something, then when the computer has a mass slowdown or whatever, just wipe the drive completely and copy the contents back from the DVD to the C drive so that I don't have to go through the re installing software process? How is this done? I know you guys above said it can be done, but the manual I'm reading here ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...User_Guide.pdf isn't saying much about it.

Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

yes, but i would use acronis because norton ghost is bloatware and the old versions ran alot better

quick article to read via google.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/driv...ng-reviews.htm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks glen, an interesting read, but I'm still a little confused
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

download the free acronis trial and give it a go.

i would never install a symantec product on my PC to be honest. i have used ghost many times in the past, including PCs that used "ghost" to restore the PC (dos versions booted from CD)... glen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

What's the imaging like with Nero 6?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode