Gibson And Guitar Hero - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Gibson And Guitar Hero

I know, I know, most of you probably dislike Guitar Hero, but I couldn't help but notice that Gibson wasn't in their new game. Has Gibson dropped out or been kicked out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Re: Gibson And Guitar Hero

I wouldn't blame them for dropping out, because most real guitarists don't like the game and being associated with it wouldn't help their image.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:08 PM

I think guitarists not liking the video game is so rediculous. It's a game and it's not anything like playing a real guitar. Yet, everyone is so threatened by it. Why? Just get over it people (not necesarily you two in the thread).

They've had recording technology and sound capapbilities to make the gutiar obsoulete for years but it isn't. So why are we threatened by a game? People still play guitar for the same reasons: it's fun, challenging makes you look cool (maybe) and it's creative. Guitar Hero is only fun, the rest don't exsist for it. I'm not threatened.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thats a great way of putting it. I was just wondering what happened to Gibson, seems they had it going good up until this game. Myself, I think this game is cool, and if I could, I'd put some of my originals on the game for something to do.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 AM

what does it say about the guitarists that dont like the game?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
They've had recording technology and sound capapbilities to make the gutiar obsoulete for years but it isn't. So why are we threatened by a game? People still play guitar for the same reasons: it's fun, challenging makes you look cool (maybe) and it's creative. Guitar Hero is only fun, the rest don't exsist for it. I'm not threatened.
I don't think anybody is threatened by it. But I highly doubt that pro-hockey players are playing NHL09 (or insert your sports game here).

My problem with guitar hero is:
That it seems to make some people think:
A) Playing guitar is easy to do
and
B) That simply because they've played the game they actually can play guitar really well.

However, I've made bunches of money off of students who decided to learn to play guitar for real because of the game so whatever. Although I do believe it stunts musical growth. If I have another student ask to learn songs and hand me what appears to be a tracklist from guitar hero I might injure something.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 34

I honestly don't understand why people get so upset about this. I like the game, and I think it is good that I can "jam" with friends without a week of negotiation about the set list and where we are going to practice. I like it in the same way that I like any other computer game. I like wii tennis; you can't tell me that there is a tennis forum somewhere on the net where the members are having a go about nintendo

I find it amusing that any of us take it seriously when someone suggests that playing guitar is easy, or that completing guitar hero means you have any skill on the guitar.

I mean, just hand them a guitar! The truth will out!

On topic: Maybe the endorsement deal ran out, or the game designers realised that Gibson aren't cool. I hope ZW never reads this
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM

I honestly cant believe people care if other people "think" they can play... Thats sad in its own mind.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
I don't think anybody is threatened by it. But I highly doubt that pro-hockey players are playing NHL09 (or insert your sports game here).

My problem with guitar hero is:
That it seems to make some people think:
A) Playing guitar is easy to do
and
B) That simply because they've played the game they actually can play guitar really well.

However, I've made bunches of money off of students who decided to learn to play guitar for real because of the game so whatever. Although I do believe it stunts musical growth. If I have another student ask to learn songs and hand me what appears to be a tracklist from guitar hero I might injure something.

Actually I know for a fact that a lot of footballers (soccer players) play Pro Evolution Soccer all the time. I know a lot of NFL players play Madden. Not so up on hockey or baseball, but yeah I don' t think that's a particularly good argument.

Look, it's just a game. I'm not saying everyone feels threatened by it, but you know there are one too many guitarists out there that have a hatred for the series that is over the top an unjustified.

I don't think the game desingers tried to make guitar look easy. Nor did they try to make it appear as if you could actually learn guitar from playing the game. That's all stupid kids. And they'll find out quick enough that it doesn't work like that.

I think the problem comes for most guitarists, as it does for me, in the fact that we actually spend a lot of time learning a certain piece of music and then once we've mastered it we're really proud. Then, if we try to do it on Gutiar Hero we can't play the same thing at all. Not only that, but it doesn't even come close to resembling playing it for real. And then a 10 year does it on GH. We shouldn't care but the part of us deep inside that always has to be right, we all have it, thinks, "I can really play that song, this game isn't anything like it, I swear!" And we proceed to argue with a 10 year old about how it's not like playing guitar for real etc.

Pilots don't get annoyed with game flight simulators, athletes don't hate video games about their sports, why should we? They'd laugh if someone was foolish enough to assume that because they mastered the flight smulation game they think they could fly an F-15. Of course that's impossible. It's the same with Guitar Hero. And aside from a few 7-12 year olds that need to get some more sunshine, everyone knows that. So don't argue with little kids let them believe what they want, the majority of fully functional brains out there know this, in no way means you can actually play guitar.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 120

Back to the question, I think I remember reading that Gibson was going to sue for copyright infringement for any designs that looked like theirs, and were labelled Gibson. Maybe the developers didn't get the proper rights for the Gibson name and intellectual property, etc.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM

I was always really ambivalent about it, until I bought it for my daughter. Now, I'm a big fan. I have never played it, likely won't, but my kids are listening to Kiss and EJ and Metallica now And my daughter's vaguely LP shaped guitar says Gibson right on the headstock out of the box, so I don't know what's up with that.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
I wouldn't blame them for dropping out, because most real guitarists don't like the game and being associated with it wouldn't help their image.
That's completely wrong. The game is doing so much to spread the music of so many great guitarists to people who wouldn't normally listen to it. I know tons of people who have gotten into guys like Eric Johnson just because of the game.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I was always really ambivalent about it, until I bought it for my daughter. Now, I'm a big fan. I have never played it, likely won't, but my kids are listening to Kiss and EJ and Metallica now And my daughter's vaguely LP shaped guitar says Gibson right on the headstock out of the box, so I don't know what's up with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
That's completely wrong. The game is doing so much to spread the music of so many great guitarists to people who wouldn't normally listen to it. I know tons of people who have gotten into guys like Eric Johnson just because of the game.
That's what I've always said, it's a great tool for showing kids how good some music has been over the years. I know a friend back in CA who had never heard of the Allman Bros, Megadeth, and Eric Johnson (three differing styles) because he's a Mexican immigrant and in his family no one else liked rock at all so no one listened to it. Now he's a total rock guy, everything from Zeppelin to Satch he's into it and wants to learn real guitar.

A lot of kids feel the same way. A lot of kids are liking older bands and prefering them to newer ones because of GH and Rock Band. I've met 12 year olds that love Deep Purple and ZZ top all becaise of those games.

So in that respect I think we owe it to give GH and RB a round of applause. You know, they could have concentrated on modern or todays' music or even one cliche shred style like Dragonforce and so on, but they didn't, they kept it diverse and mix it up all the time. That, in my opinion is a great thing about that game.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

ok heres a example between the guitar hero game and real guitar playing.ok how long will it take to master that dragonforce song (through the fire n flames) on guitar hero from a novice prespective 6 months say.now then go and play it on real guitar how long will it take a novice then, a long long long time,nuff said
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
ok heres a example between the guitar hero game and real guitar playing.ok how long will it take to master that dragonforce song (through the fire n flames) on guitar hero from a novice prespective 6 months say.now then go and play it on real guitar how long will it take a novice then, a long long long time,nuff said
Yeah I mean one has six strings and up to 24 frets and the other has 1 string and 5 frets!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode