Gibson screws contest winner out of $10k - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Gibson screws contest winner out of $10k

Dont know if this was posted before.

http://consumerist.com/348960/gibson...h-of-equipment

Im not shocked at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Gibson screws contest winner out of $10k

That makes me hate Gibson even more...
That $10,000 would fall under a tax write off. Especially at list price, it's a win win, right?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Re: Gibson screws contest winner out of $10k

The first time I ever tried the Internet way back in 1995 I entered a contest to win a US made Washburn Dimeslime from Guitar Player magazine and Washburn. I remember the magazine making a big deal about their new site and I wanted to check it out. Well, they called me and told me I won and it was very cool but when the guitar showed up, it wasn't the US made Dimeslime, it was a Korean made version in black! While it was very nice to get a free guitar and all, I had to eventually contact the BBB to get them to correct the issue because months of calling Washburn didn't get me anywhere, Guitar Player did even less. We eventually compromised and I requested a Nuno signature model instead which is a much nicer guitar anyway and they even sent me the actual US made version. Reading about that poor guy's dealings with Gibson just reminded me of it. I hoep he hangs in there and gets some help because they will forget about him very quickly.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM

So, in order to get 'true gibson quality' you need to spend better than $2k on a les paul, then when the rubber meets the road and they have to put out money... they dodge the bullet by making up their own rules....

Not the kind of place I'm ever going to spend any money with.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 PM

It sounds like ITV and Blue peter have got a secret meeting with Gibson...Those clever.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 PM

It's depressing TC Electronics is merging with them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 PM

Unfortunately, Gibson are more about exploiting the brand these days. They are a corporation with interests far beyond that of their devoted customers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:43 AM

"I will investigate this issue and get back to you as soon as I get the facts. Since its Friday it will probably be early next week [hopefully Monday].

I will tell you that Don Pitts is no longer with Gibson and has not been with us for some time.

I have no personal knowledge about this issue and I personally approve all promotions for the company. We have a formal system where any agent of Gibson needs to present a promotion, its benefits and its cost. This then needs to be approved by a least two people before it comes to my desk. We do take these commitments seriously, and we have very strict internal processes to insure we deliver on our promises.

Regardless, I will get to the bottom of this and we will get you what was legitimately promised.

I do not know who you talked to other than attempting to contact Don, but we do have people on the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week to solve any Gibson related issue [1-800-4-GIBSON]. While they do not have the authority to send you $10,000 worth of gear on the spot they are literally less than a minute from my office and should/could have resolved this in a very short period of time. If you had an unsatisfactory conversation with anyone else at Gibson, let me know so we can insure that this will not happen in the future.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to address this problem."

Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Chief Executive Officer
Gibson Guitar Corp.
309 Plus Park
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Good on you Dragster!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM

aw man, that is horrible
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 3

Kind of weird to me that a larger company like Gibson gets the CEO involved for "all promotions."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

a CEO of a small company like Gibson needs to be on top of stuff like that since it involves company promotion... his response was spot on. two people approving before getting a final "yes or no" is a good system. i'm sure the package was similar promotions in major cities.

mistakes happen.. glen

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode