Going to Tokyo - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Going to Tokyo

I am going to Tokyo this April, and I was wondering what guitar-related stuff should I look for.

What's that famous street in Tokyo that sells guitars called again? I got to make sure I go there and see if I can pick up some good deals. What are the other major guitar stores that I can visit?

I'll be sure to take photos of anything guitar related and bring it back for you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: Going to Tokyo

The best area is Ochanomizu, followed by Shibuya and Shinjuku. Take the 'JR Yamanote line'. You are going to have an amazingly good time. You have to eat at a "yakiniku' restaurant while you are there. It is Korean BBQ, there is a little gas bbq grill in the center of the table and they will bring you thinly sliced raw meat. Cook it up yourself, dip it in the sauce (put some garlic in there) and wolf it down with rice. For fun, go to Roppongii around 9 or 10 at night and plan on partying until the sun comes up.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
The best area is Ochanomizu, followed by Shibuya and Shinjuku. Take the 'JR Yamanote line'. You are going to have an amazingly good time. You have to eat at a "yakiniku' restaurant while you are there. It is Korean BBQ, there is a little gas bbq grill in the center of the table and they will bring you thinly sliced raw meat. Cook it up yourself, dip it in the sauce (put some garlic in there) and wolf it down with rice. For fun, go to Roppongii around 9 or 10 at night and plan on partying until the sun comes up.
Don't forget Ikebukuro. It has a really big Ikebe. It's really close to Shinjuku so don't worry about the distance or anything. And you should be able to find it on the JR line easily. If you need any help with directions shoot me a PM and I can get you some help.

But, GilkyBear's right you definately need ot go to ochnomizu (tea's water). They have shop uopn shop there. I recommend shabu-shabu. It's meat dipped in soups of different flavors. The meats so thin it boils in the liquid while you dip it and then you eat it immediately. You can get a ton of different soups too. There are a lot of good foods here in Japan.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:20 PM

I would love to have a holiday in Japan, but fear I would get lost.

The last time I was overseas was when I was 8 years old (20 years ago).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:55 PM

klp, you're lucky! enjoy your trip.

there's been talk of hitting australia and japan this summer on tour; i hope it ends up working out.

if you happen to see an RG1320A in red or purple, nab it for me! i promise i'm good for it
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 AM

That sounds like a blast! Enjoy!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Reviews: 9

Tokyo is my favorite city in the world!!! If you've never been there before be prepared to be amazed! The best advice I can give you is to befriend a local as soon as possible as it will make your travel and overall experience much easier and more fulfilling. It's pretty easy to get real lost in Tokyo, but if you are in Hong Kong then you should'nt get stressed by big, busy city life. Even if you are there for a week you won't see close to half what Tokyo has to offer and it is so easy to go bankrupt there as every where you look there is some shop that is packed with cool stuff...even though most shops are about the size of a walk in closet. I lived in northern Japan for 4 years and would go back in a second. You are a lucky bastard
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:37 AM

befriend a local of the opposite gender

Agree with all of the above advice. Good luck stretching in the hotel...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattitude View Post
Tokyo is my favorite city in the world!!! If you've never been there before be prepared to be amazed! The best advice I can give you is to befriend a local as soon as possible as it will make your travel and overall experience much easier and more fulfilling. It's pretty easy to get real lost in Tokyo, but if you are in Hong Kong then you should'nt get stressed by big, busy city life. Even if you are there for a week you won't see close to half what Tokyo has to offer and it is so easy to go bankrupt there as every where you look there is some shop that is packed with cool stuff...even though most shops are about the size of a walk in closet. I lived in northern Japan for 4 years and would go back in a second. You are a lucky bastard
You know it's nice to hear someone sound like me. All my coworkers do is make negative comments about Japan, but I really like living here.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM

.... and if you can get out of the city, do it. If you're interested in the touristy side of things, Nikko and Kamakura are popular places to visit. Make sure you have the friendly local with you so you don't get lost in translation.

Last edited by Ibateur; 03-17-2008 at 08:49 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
You know it's nice to hear someone sound like me. All my coworkers do is make negative comments about Japan, but I really like living here.
Living in Japan was the best 5 years of my life. We are still considering moving there when I get out of the military. LOVED IT!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
Living in Japan was the best 5 years of my life. We are still considering moving there when I get out of the military. LOVED IT!!
As long as you are married to a Japanese national, living in Japan is a possibility...it's getting more difficult/*** to do so, but easier than on a regular work visa. I was married to a Japanese woman from Sapporo...my mistake was not marrying a country girl. Them city girls are EXPENSIVE!! She was all about the Coach bags, Vitton and all of the "in" stuff, which is 3x-8x more expensive there. I couldn't afford to keep her...that and she was a bit nutty to say the least. Kotornut might understand what I am talking about.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 65

Yeah would love to move to Japan, but decent job is hard to find and work visa is a .... you know what...

But I think I might have to visit some Japan jemsiters sometime in the near future I feel like a long Japan vacation might be on order soonish.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Yeah would love to move to Japan, but decent job is hard to find and work visa is a .... you know what...

But I think I might have to visit some Japan jemsiters sometime in the near future I feel like a long Japan vacation might be on order soonish.
Really, I don't think it's hard to find a decent job, as long as you got a BA. Not an awesome job, but decent is doable.

Work visas are easy as long as you work.

Or do what I did, marry a Japanese girl and get a spousal visa.

I don't have ot worry so much
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattitude View Post
As long as you are married to a Japanese national, living in Japan is a possibility...it's getting more difficult/*** to do so, but easier than on a regular work visa. I was married to a Japanese woman from Sapporo...my mistake was not marrying a country girl. Them city girls are EXPENSIVE!! She was all about the Coach bags, Vitton and all of the "in" stuff, which is 3x-8x more expensive there. I couldn't afford to keep her...that and she was a bit nutty to say the least. Kotornut might understand what I am talking about.
Yeah, being married to a Japanese citizen makes it easier. Funny thing is my wife was born and raised in Lima, Peru. I have more time in Japan than she does, but she has dual citizenship. Actually, tri-citizenship now haha. Regardless, I would likely work at one of the military bases after I retire from active duty and let the government pick up the cost of housing and whatnot. Now that is a good deal. The things I do to be a little closer to the Fujigen factory haha...

Last edited by GilkyBear; 03-17-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Tags
guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode