Going too far? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Going too far?

So a friend of mine, is a pretty good guy. Very into promoting local music. He's a guitar teacher full time with 90 students/week and when he isnt teaching guitar he is helping his students promote their bands, offering recording advice and doing some recording for them. HE got on his local towns commitee to help get a teen center where the kids bands can play on weekends, During the week the have help with homework, movie nights, video games and stuff like that. He actually helped them to get (Im not lying) one of the best sound systems of any local venue and has run classes on how to best use it. He really went all out with this. So a local band was getting ready to play there and he told them the rules. 1) keep your clothes on, 2) No Swearing. Apparently in the eyes of the bass player this makes him and the venue Facists, and a bunch of other things we wont get into. So my friend kindly told them their services would no longer be needed for the show. The rest of the band emailed him an "apology", but he stands by his decision.
I saw all the emails, I support his decision, but was wondering if anyone here would have let the band play after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Re: Going too far?

seems more than reasonable to me..
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:33 PM

I think he did the right thing. I am sick and tired of people not giving respect when it is due. He has gone out of his way to help these kids and if someone acts like that, they need to understand there are consequences. If you don't like someone's rules, go somewhere else. He is doing all the work, so he gets to make the rules.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Maybe he should give them another chance. I'll be willing to bet that the other kids in the band will keep the bass player in line.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 PM

He told them the rules, the said F the rules, and he told them to hit the road. They made the choice and he did the right thing.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:04 PM

I might give them a second chance if the apologies from the bassist were sincere. If he hasn't actually apologised, then he's definately done the right thing.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Sounds like he laid down 2 very simple rules and they f'ed up.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
I might give them a second chance if the apologies from the bassist were sincere.
Same here.

Quote:
If he hasn't actually apologised, then he's definately done the right thing.
I agree.

Alwin
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I might give them a second chance if the apologies from the bassist were sincere. If he hasn't actually apologised, then he's definately done the right thing.
The bass player had nothing to do with the apology, infact the rest of the band specifically said he stands by his comments.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 PM

I thought it was the friend who was standing by his decision to keep the band out of the venue, not the punk's decision to stand by his being an a-hole. Maybe.

Sounds like there should be an opening for a bass player pretty soon. If a guy's going to cost you gigs, free or otherwise, he's got to go.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 PM

Unless he is say Wednesday 13 or a professional band where they legitimately have a song with profanity that actually is necessary to the lyrics, then maybe the bass player has a point, other than that, the bass player shouldn't have been making a fuss.

I don't really get the impression that this was a situation like telling Helloween they needed to change their banners to Heckoween though.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM

he called him a fascist for stating those 2 simple rules?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
The bass player had nothing to do with the apology, infact the rest of the band specifically said he stands by his comments.
In that case, your friend is right totally right. That bass player sounds like a bit of a twat!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Going too far?

Time to have a band meeting and take a vote...

On who to replace the bass player with...

The whole Fascist thing is a moot point because that was not a democracy they were entering into. It was a dictatorship, plain and simple...

It's like getting your first job and telling the owner what an @ss he is for wanting you to take out the trash...

If he takes them back with the bass player whether he is sorry or not he'll forever be kowtowing to snot nosed, ungrateful, little, ignorant punks...

A dose of reality goes a long way I say!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

To be fair, the guy only gets 4 strings and is burried in the mix, he probably just wanted to be heard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode