Gone Sober - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Talking Gone Sober

After 20 years of Cigarette smoking, Drinking & Partying in general,
I've gone sober. Sobriety date officially is 08.27.07
Exactly 17 years after the tragic death of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
I wish I could say that I made the decision based on intelligence but I can't.
It was doctor's orders due to a bad heart condition.

So now I'm not sure what to do.
I mean what do "Sober" people or those in "Recovery" DO????

Although back to work, I'm still recovering from surgery where an Internal Cardiac Defibrulator was implanted into my chest so I'm not yet ready for anything too physicaly demanding. Hell, just walking to the store still makes me tired! I HATEE going to AA meetings because everyone is always so pissed off. So, I guess, this is a call for help from anyone who understands.

A 20 year Addiction is a tough thing to give up.

...Finding my way,
Mike ~ SRVoodoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Re: Gone Sober

Guitar, Jemsite, the Internet, movies, reading, studying something new.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

I just wanted to wish you good luck as you start this new chapter in your life. I guess finding the things that you enjoyed doing before you started into that other lifestyle might be a key as to what you can do. Guitar, Jemsite, movies and learning new things is a great idea. Maybe taking a trip would be helpful too.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 18

Start drinking lots of green tea without sugar and let that become your new addiction

Jimmy
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 21

Best of luck SRVoodoo.
I quit smoking on or about April 1 of this year after doing it for 18 years. I know how addiction can suck! I'm amazed every day I'm on THIS side of it! It's really like being a different person. Lots of the things I did prior to starting, like going outside, are once again fun.
I really hope you get through it!
mike570 is online  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Good luck

Come here when you feel low and vulnerable. There's always something cool going on
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Everybody
y'know, Floridanative the only thing I did before taking the wrong path was to PLAY GUITAR!.....seems like that just might be the best therapy for me
Really, thank you all for your kind words. I guess it IS like starting a new life huh?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM

And good luck from me Giving up any addiction isn't easy, so I really you wish the best man.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVoodoo View Post
Thanks Everybody
y'know, Floridanative the only thing I did before taking the wrong path was to PLAY GUITAR!.....seems like that just might be the best therapy for me
Really, thank you all for your kind words. I guess it IS like starting a new life huh?
Playing guitar would be great! I know I could play for hours on end if I didn't have other responsibilities pulling me away! It's great that you have a new lease on life. Breaking old habits is very hard, but it can be done. I used to smoke when I was a teenager and I smoked for several years... I finally quit for good when I was in my early 20's and I haven't smoked since. It's so great to not be in bondage to anything and to not have this "thing" dictating my life. Freedom is a wonderful thing. When I was a kid I always enjoyed running and racing the kids in the neighborhood. I used to do track and field in school and always enjoyed challenging myself on to greater distances... I always had a goal to run a marathon at some point in my life, but I quit running altogether all the time that I smoked because it was just too difficult to run while wheezing all the time.. when I quit smoking, I started running again and I am trying to train for a marathon... I still have a long ways to go, but I run for an hour several times a week and I know it's just a matter of time until I can do the marathon. Freedom is a good thing!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Good for you SRV

Quote:
So now I'm not sure what to do.
You just need to find other things to keep your mind occupied. Think to yourself what have you always wanted to do, but the party thing always held you back from doing??? Find some new hobbies that run along your lines of interest. What are your interests?

You could possiby look into being a big brother and spending some time with a kid who is in need of a father figure. That could be very rewarding not only him but for you as well.

Maybe spend more time with your family (if that's possible)

Maybe take up very light weightlifting, or light hiking (walking) art, golf? The possibilities are endless. Ya just need to find something to do with the time that you used to spend drinking/partying, etc. What about getting a girlfriend??? (Oh wait.....scratch that, that'd just drive you back to drinking)

And of course you've always got playing your geeter and Jemsite as well

Ever try meditation??

PS - Just because your old pals still drink a beer or two now and then doens't make them any less of a friend That happens all to often.

Good luck with it all SRV!!!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:12 PM

I thought "marathons" were called "snickers" now

Never liked nuts in chocolate myself though

(oh come on you dirty minded bunch of pervs......you know what i meant )
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM

I'm working on almost 3 years without going to Mcdonalds and Burger King after watching and teaching a health unit on Supersize Me to my eigth-graders!!!!!!
Good luck OP, nicotine is ranked the third most addictive drug in the world, but you can push threw after a few days. Try to stay away from the areas and situations that you used to associate with smoking or drinking. You will start to form some healthier habits after the 11th try.
1) Crystal Meth
2) Crack
3) Nicotine
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

a Girlfriend you say? I wonder how my WIFE would take to that! lol
right now I find that taking naps is very good
I have a "cardiac rehab" program to do 3 days a week for 12 weeks.
I'm hoping to be in much better shape after that.
Then in spring I'll break out the inline skates & hockey gear!
It's nice to hear that I'm not alone. Thank you!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
right now I find that taking naps is very good
I have a "cardiac rehab" program to do 3 days a week for 12 weeks.
I'm hoping to be in much better shape after that.
Then in spring I'll break out the inline skates & hockey gear!
It's nice to hear that I'm not alone. Thank you!
There you go!!! Skating is great exercise and lots of fun. I think as your health gets better and better the way you are feeling will be even more of an inducement to you to not go back to your former ways!! I wish you all the best! And don't forget to get yourself a sponsor. I know those AA meetings are horrible, but it is vital to have someone you can call in the middle of the night who will keep you from taking that drink. Good luck to you!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Well.....it would make things interesting and would certainly take your mind off other stuff

Tell her it's vital for your rehabilitation

Tags
playing guitar , ray vaughan , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode