Good games for small kids on the Wii? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Good games for small kids on the Wii?

I thought I might ask here, since many of you have kids.

We bought my eldest son a Wii for his fifth birthday, which is today. We picked up Batman Brave and the Bold and Wii Sports since they seemed simple enough for a five year old.

He's tried LEGO Star Wars on my old PS2, and the whole 3D part of it all seems a little tricky for him. I want to avoid 3D games for now until he can confidently handle them.

I'm looking for good games that are more 2 dimensional so the physics of moving around for him are simpler. He had a quick go of the Batman game this morning and he seemed to grasp the controls enough for a first go. The game is also quite forgiving in terms of dying. You always come back where you were and can keep going with just the loss of a few coins.

I've heard Kirby's Epic Yarn is another great 2D platformer for smaller kids as it's quite forgiving and not too hard like the Batman game, but are there any others you'd recommend? Maybe some simpler parlor games would be good too, or kart games. I asked my parents to maybe get him Cars 2 or Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, which seem to be simple enough racers that he could handle.

Thanks guys
LonePhantom is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Good games for small kids on the Wii?

I have no input, as my girls only 2 and a half...I can still hand her a controller and she thinks she's playing
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM

Good article called The Touch-Screen Generation.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ration/309250/
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Good article called The Touch-Screen Generation.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ration/309250/
I'm not sure why you posted this, and I only read the first page. I'm not asking about what sort of time kids should spend playing games and using technology. We already have our system for that.

We picked a Wii because at least a bunch of the games involve you actually having to move to play. I'm just trying to see what games people recommend that kids around five might be able to play successfully.

He got Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and Cars Race O Rama from my parents yesterday. The 100m spring in the Olympic Games game is a great work out!
LonePhantom is online  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM

My young nephews LOVE the "Raymond's Rabbids" series... They are goofy suites of mini-games that particularly appeal to that 7-12 age range (cartoony, silly, etc).

Cheers!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Rayman Raving Rabbids, is that what you meant? I've had a couple of other people mention them. I might have to look into it.
LonePhantom is online  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Rayman Raving Rabbids, is that what you meant? I've had a couple of other people mention them. I might have to look into it.
Yep! That's the series. There's several different ones but they all have the same theme being a bunch of mini games featuring the characters. They are actually pretty entertaining I must admit.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 4

Wii game party 3. Includes all the games from 1 and 2. At my local gamestop for 20 bucks 3 years ago. Still fun today!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 15

I have a 5 year old nephew that loves Super Mario Bros. A lot of my friends' kids in that age range also like Monkeyball, Mario Party, Rampage, and the Just Dance series whenver they come over.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 PM

im a nerd gamer so heres debauchery of games for ya.
Supersmashbrosbrawl,MARIOGALXY1&2 i would highly recomend, new super mariobros,marioparty,raymanrabids,GUITARHERO,don keykongcountryreturns.

Theres loads more of games but i find these appropropriate for younger audiences. There are ton more games for everyone, but i just nailed down the games that any one can play and enjoy. You can buy almost any wii game from gamestop used for a fair price and i wouldn't buy them new because wii is going obsolete soon and the games (imo) are overpriced as new if there above 40 dollars.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Oh and also for younger children (and adults ) i reccomend any wii title game such as wii sports and wii play
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 PM

posting again.
mario kart (ez control) new super mario bros (side scroller 2d) but can be a little tricky. epic yarn is good start (incredible ez) and donkey kong country returns ( motion controls and 2d side scroller) im a nerd.... 0_o sry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode