The Good Old "MSN Shutdown" Prank... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
The Good Old "MSN Shutdown" Prank...

So, tell me Jemsiters, how many of you have seen THIS before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tara and John", the supposed "Directors of MSN" View Post
This is Tara and John, the directors of MSN,
Sorry for the interruption but MSN is closing down. This is because too many inconsiderate people are taking up all the name (e.g. Making up lots of different accounts for just one person, etc.), we only have 578 names left. If you would like to close your account, DO NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE ON. Ifyou would like to keep your
Account, then SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. This is no
joke, we will be shutting down the servers.
Send it on, thanks.

P.S.
WHO EVER DOES NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND IT WILL COST YOU 10.00 A MONTH TO USE. SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. NOW YOU
KNOW WHAT TO DO. PLEASE DO NOT FORWARD THIS or REPLAY. COPY THE WHOLE EMAIL.
GO BACK TO YOUR INBOX AND CLICK ON NEW. AND PASTE THANK YOU FOR YOUR
ATTENTION.

This is no joke if you don't believe us then go to this site:
http://news.BBC.co.UK/1/hi/business/1189119.stm
and see for yourself. Anyways once you've sent this message to at least 18 contacts, your MSN icon will become blue. Please copy and paste don't forward because people wont read them.
Strange how the site link they mention was written 7-8 years ago, and states that the shutdown would occur within 12 months? And the BBC site actually said the core programs (ie. Hotmail and MSN) would remain free!

Also strange how since this e-mail started back in 2001, but every single time it comes back around to my inbox, they still have 578 names left?

I don't see how that's possible. I mean, people are making accounts every day, and you could always have names like this:

[email protected]
[email protected] Note: These e-mail addresses are made up .

The point is there are all sorta of combnations you could make, so there must be more than 578 names. And that's WITHOUT considering the extra names available with the new @live.com addresses.

What I find funny is that people actually believe these e-mails, panic, and then send them to lots of people to save their precious MSN.

Then they panic more when their MSN "guy" doesn't turn blue like the chain letter says it will! :O Shock horror, now they're going to have to pay for their MSN!

Wait a second, how are they going to pay?

And of course there's the bad spelling and grammar, excessive sue of capitals and exclamation marks, the large grey font, and lack of official MSN header and footer.

So tell me guys, how many times has this run through your inbox, and how do people fall for this and keep sending it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM

Re: The Good Old "MSN Shutdown" Prank...

Stop using Hotmail....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Reviews: 2

The mere fact that anybody would fall for this shows a completely lack of the understanding of how business works.

With all those users online MS can charge a lot of money to the many companies that advertise on MSN. Likely more than they would make charging everybody who uses it a $10 fee.

Plus you can't run out of names. You can just keep added more numbers and whatnot.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM

I have a friend who falls for this kind of thing all the time. I thought I'd got away from it when I stopped using hotmail a few years ago, but no, on came the "If you don't forward this to six friends in the next hour you'll die tonight" chain mails from said friend. The only e-mails she ever sent me were chain letters, so I told her she needed to stop falling for this **** and blocked her e-mail.

Then I joined Facebook... every week, at least one message in my inbox from her that's exactly the same thing as the MSN shutdown prank, just changed to suit Facebook.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Reviews: 6

Well i think this picture is a nice twist on the classic chain letter:

***WARNING BAD LANGUAGE***

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/Mk239/10069.jpg

Last edited by Mike239; 02-01-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: removed inline img tag
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Banned

i delleted msn.its a load of ****,and it slows your pc up.

Tags
closedown , msn , prank , shutdown , windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode