Good story (or bad I suppose) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Good story (or bad I suppose)

What if you took a Gilbert or Vai and put him in a train station?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=artslot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 AM

Re: Good story (or bad I suppose)

That was interesting. Did you get a load of the reported price he paid for his violin? And I thought Jems were expensive.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM

Ha! I used to work at L'Enfant Plaza but I missed this one. There was however a great guitarist who also used to setup there. He had a looper and he'd do all this amazing tapping and accompany his own loops. I always thought that he kicked ass. But I never gave up any money! But then I never carry a lot anyway.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
That was interesting. Did you get a load of the reported price he paid for his violin? And I thought Jems were expensive.
High-quality string instruments can get VERY expensive - a concert-grade cello can easily cost you more than a nice house. A couple mil for a Stradavari violin sounds about right...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
High-quality string instruments can get VERY expensive - a concert-grade cello can easily cost you more than a nice house. A couple mil for a Stradavari violin sounds about right...
No kidding. I've seen a classical guitar selling for $35,000 USD.

That was a cool article, but for crying out loud it was long.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:34 AM

And the kicker is that if that was one of these 'pop-idol' types that mime to everything, you can guarantee they'd be swamped.

There's no justice in this world but I'm not telling you something you didn't already know.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Yeah, it was pretty long, but an interesting concept. Guess it all goes to show that setting really can make or break a performance. He didn't have an audience, he had commuters, and apparently that made all the difference.

Cool article, thanks for sharing
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
And the kicker is that if that was one of these 'pop-idol' types that mime to everything, you can guarantee they'd be swamped.

There's no justice in this world but I'm not telling you something you didn't already know.
Yeah, you're preaching to the choir.

I can honestly say that I would've stopped and listened. Anytime I've been fortunate to be in a large city with street performers, I usually stop. I love to watch people play music.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM

I love street musicians, too, sick-boy. In Cambridge there was a guy who strung up a length of wire between two trees (about 15 feet apart, 4 foot high) and then balanced on it while playing pretty decent violin. I was amazed. I tried to give him some spare change when he got down, but he said he was only doing it to promote himself. I havn't seen him in about a year, so I guess street performing works sometimes.

$3.5M for a violin... wow. Is it hype or is it actually like, *the BEST* violin ever made?

I'd like to try Violin, but I think I'm more suited to Double-Bass.

Check his site out. There's some cool tracks playing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode