Got the horns for an SG - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Got the horns for an SG

Which one would you go for? 61, standard, special? Gibson or non Gibson replica?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Re: Got the horns for an SG

I've had 6 (Standard, Faded, 2 61 RIs, 62 SG Custom RI and an Epiphone) SGs and the best of them was the 61 RI. One of the best necks I ever played and you can't beat the 57 Classics. The 62RI Custom was a close second and the middle/bridge humbuckers together sounded incredible.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

The 61 is tempting, shame they don't do it in black...I have seen a few used ones at a decent price but the are recent. Not the best year the 2000s.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 PM

They did do it in black. I had one. It was a Guitar of The Week a few years ago. Black with gold hardware and antique binding. I think they guy I sold it to sold it for $1200, so they are out there. I know people on the bay want too much for them, but I think they are worth the extra money. If you are going to spend the money on an SG, you might as well get the one you want instead of the cheaper one, you'll be happier in the long run.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Indeed, but I'm also interested in a Tokai. This thing really can give the Gibbo standarda bloody nose and is on par with the 61 - fat neck though but I like this (for guitars that is!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:11 PM

I was going to say, look into an Edwards too. I never played one of their SGs, but I had 2 of their LPs. They weren't bad guitars, but you could feel a difference between them and Gibsons. I've also read they aren't really finished with nitro, just a light spraying of nitro over the poly finish, but that may not bother you.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM

There's a cherry red one with a vibrola on the bay that shall not be mentioned now, but the finish looks a little crappy and for the same price, you can get a used Gibson.
Theres also a copper project 61 RI for $900
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM

I love the ones with the 3 pickups and vibrola, those are awesome looking. Don't know which ones they are, but they were the Les Pauls in '61 I believe. Are those the 61 RI's?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

I'll check them out, there is a store with Edwards in stock over here. There are quite expensive though, nearly the price of a Gibson Standard.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

It's sad to have second thoughts about buying a Gibson...the quality has to improve, they really need to hire someone from Yamaha to look after the QC just imagine havin consistent flawless Gibsons...

I have had 2 of them, one good (LP smartwood - cheap) and one bad (bitter memories of my dream LP standard flame top honeyburst). On the other hand all my Ibanez and Tokais are fantastic and deliver day after day.

It is time for a change of direction, stop the new tech crap and put some killer guitars on the street. We all know a great Gibson is almost untouchable but they are getting hard to find. I want to see some screaming Vs and SGs, and have my dream LP. All this WITHOUT paying the VOS prices.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I love the ones with the 3 pickups and vibrola, those are awesome looking. Don't know which ones they are, but they were the Les Pauls in '61 I believe. Are those the 61 RI's?

No sir, those are the SG Customs
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

The customs are nice in ivory white but I can't play them, the middle pickup is a real pain.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Any more feedback on SGs?

Good or bad btw

Tags
gibson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode