got the iphone 3Gs today - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

got the iphone 3Gs today

i didn't want to post this for a few reasons, but thought, why not. just to share with you guys. i have the 3G and paid a visit to the apple store today while hanging out with a friend / co-video guy who uses all mac stuff. i was curious to see what this new phone had to offer. i knew the processing speed was faster, with of course more storage, 16 gig or 32 gig as opposed to 8. also has digital compass, which is integrated in the map. it rotates the screen while you move when working with maps/gps. and of course the video camera option. i had to see what it was all about.

i didn't have plans on getting it but after testing at the store, it was worth the upgrade for me. we were both impressed at the frame rate and quality of the video we shot in the store. it is quite impressive with excellent resolution. very smooth playback with no jittering or cheap looking video like what i had with the blackberry. no pixelation while in the store or the mall. this alone was great for when i'm with my son. i can't always have a video cam when i'm at the toy store. another cool feature is in the design. the glass is made of something different that literally leaves no smudges or fingerprints while working on the phone. this is great! while at ATT i asked about another protective cover and the guy didn't sell me one. he said they reinforced the glass, making it impossible to scratch. supposedly only a diamond will scratch it. interesting. good, i hate those covers anyway.

that's all i really have. i was a blackberry user for so long and absolutely loved it...still do. but after i got the iphone about 9 months ago, it's just perfect for me. like my blackberry, it's my office away from home, but with a much better design. so i upgraded to the 3Gs from 3G and although, pretty much the same phone, it has its nice additions.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 PM

Re: got the iphone 3Gs today

That is cool but I don't have like $600 bucks >_<

Maybe the next new Iphone I will get. I'd love to have the camera and speed though, also the new screen seems cool even though I can't scratch my 3g at all and I've dropped it plenty of times. Mostly because I knock it out of my hand cause I have a guitar on me
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

it's sad that every phone released - when you buy it - has limiting features and significant limitations... including the new iPhone.

i can see why everyone would want to upgrade as the first two iPhones are really slow. i get the appeal to "mac zombies" and "soccer moms" but what i can't figure out though is how tekkies get so excited about a phone that cannot do such basic things as...

* no video camera (new one has this finally right?)
* can't multitask (check email while browsing)
* send/receive MMS (come on this is 5 year old technology)
* stream live TV (havaTV or Slingbox are rejected except when using "wi-fi"
* tether to a laptop
* view flash sites, stream radio from websites, etc.

the lack of multitasking really kills it, they need to fix that asap (before switching off ATT in the usa... right now ATT is so limiting anyways it's a moot point)... glen
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:12 AM

Do you hate apple my friend glen? Lol, I'm just tired of apple being so strict with their policies on all of their products and I'm also tired of Microsoft being so lazy with their programming and bug fixing, I hated when I was running error checking for Vista Beta. I quit that job lol
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 AM
site founder 0% owner

one more...
haha... i don't mind apple, only a small group of their users. their restrictive policies are mind-boggling. i mean if verizon (my carrier) had an iphone it wouldn't work for me. i'm more annoyed at the carriers for trying to limit users & verizon for limiting phones (the best touch phone (htc diamond) ever made was released last summer... verizon just got it a week ago when it's replacement shipped overseas a month ago. ROTFLMAO. but they waste millions getting the bberry storm exclusive.

carrier exclusivity has to be eliminated... glen
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 01:35 AM

There is one thing that I've noticed that the iPhone has (even the 3G before the 3Gs) over every other "smart phone" on the market. It doesn't lag.

...Also, immense aftermarket app support.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

yes, carrier exclusive issues have to be eliminated.
i can't afford anything near the $600 either. i added a line for a family plan, which i was going to do anyway, and i got a friend's discount.

i use pc's exclusively but i'm starting to like apple more for media stuff. it's very solid especially when throwing HD video at it. i have been sitting with my friend on his mac and it is really nice, close to perfect for me. i see a lot of things i can do on the mac in editing that would help my workflow. pros and cons to both pc and mac.

i like apple products but hate the college yuppie thespian wannabees that "work" there.

Last edited by shredmaster; 06-22-2009 at 09:07 AM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM

yeah, it's tough to get excited about any of this stuff when you've got Verizon
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 22

Until a few months ago i used a pantech c300 as a daily phone ( the smallest camera phone) and the only thing i could say positive about it is the toughness it posessed.

I went to the att store to check out the Htc Fuze and the rep would not let me buy it. He literally forced an iphone 3g in my hands and ever since then i've really liked it.
I got the 16gig with the support plan chargers everything for the price of the htc.
The htc was awesome, but if my surfing and cad stuff goes that specific i use one of my laptops like i always have.
For entertainment, style, and several useful things (where to eat, youtube, wiki) it fits me.

Still don't consider myself a "Mac Daddy"

It should be available on all the other networks though, Apple could make the takeover complete.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM

The Verizon issue is they're using one of the oldest data and comm formats around. While the rest of the world is using GSM companies like Sprint and Verizon are still using CDMA.
A huge benefit if you travel, is having a GSM-able phone. Most times your carrier will unlock the phone for you (Give you the code anyway) and you can buy a prepaid sim card wherever you're travelling and not get raped on international phone rates.

As for the Apple, they have a slick interface, probably the best with the exception of text input. I have had issues texting with the touch screen, I'm faster on a real keypad. Also, I'm blown away that the iPhone still can't do MMS, My phones 3-4 years ago could easily handle that. I'm not sure why.

With all the power they give the phone, they skimp on some things that make you scratch your head..
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Seriously, MMS... Do anyone still send MMS? I prefer e-mail over MMS, the only thing MMS is used for (AFAIK) is spamming silly animations on new years day. It would be a pleasure to get rid of those.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Seriously, MMS... Do anyone still send MMS? I prefer e-mail over MMS, the only thing MMS is used for (AFAIK) is spamming silly animations on new years day. It would be a pleasure to get rid of those.
are you for real?

mms allows anyone with a cell phone to communicate and is widely popular for people of all ages. mixed text, pictures, video.

email is not effective for general use by the average person on cell phones - especially worthless when instant mobile communication is desired - as it requires BOTH parties having email on their phone (highly unlikely) & knowing how to set it up. plus check junk box vs spam vs actual useful mail.

anyone not a male tekkie would be using MMS regularly (well not iPhone users obviously but soon enough but not if you're using ATT). ...glen
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 PM

I am for real!

I guess the carriers and costs are like two separate worlds. MMS is expensive to send here, but e-mail free via wireless internet connection. Maybe the youth prefer MMS to send nude pics to eachother. In that case Apple is doing them a favor.

IMO. In general people are to obsessed with technological gadgets. It should be possible to survive without it, hence without all those features you almost never use. But the choice is there, so you use whatever you find best for your needs. I don't think I'll get a iPhone, ever. I prefer Nokia for no good reason.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Reviews: 18

Ok, I can't resist, so I'm going to comment....

1. Newsflash nukkaz: The iPhone can do MMS and/or thethering by either unlocking it, going to a website or simply hacking it. If you're afraid of all of those, then shut your cakehole and send pictures via email as attachments.

2. For all of you who are on Verizon, please quit complaining. Verizon had the opportunity to get the iPhone before AT&T and they told Apple to suck a d1ck. Why? because they're Verizon. So now that AT&T is getting momentum from a customer subscription perspective, most Verizon customers are beggining to realize that there's in fact something wrong and they are under a cocoon technologically because they can't use any phone they want.

I recently got an iPhone as a birthday gift from my wife and I'm pleased as punch with the device. It can so so much and it is miles away from any windows mobile phone out there and the blackberry storm.

After seeing how much my wife liked the interface of the phone, I decided to buy her one for mother's day and she loves it. Her initial reaction when comparing it to the blackberry pearl she used to own was one of joy. She's the least technical savvy person and she can't put the phone down because it is so user friendly.

I just updated my firmware to OS 3.0 and the phone is super responsive and quicker than before.

So, now I guess some people are going to argue that the camera on the 3G (which is what I have) is only 2mp's and you can't record video. Again, my response is that if you really need to take that many pictures and shoot video, then unlock it. Personally, I have an SLR at home and when I want to take a nice picture, that's what I grab.

Bring on the flames

Jimmy
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM
dex

Quote:
The iPhone can do MMS and/or thethering by either unlocking it, going to a website or simply hacking it.
Now I posted something here back in 2003 while on a train going 80mph between London and Reading using a Clie Peg S300 tethered to a Nokia 8210 using infrared - it was slow but it worked and back then the stupid flash and java hadn't picked up so I'd say the load times were the same as they are today just because much less stuff was loaded.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f33/mi...ain#post172613

That was 6 years ago, the iPhone only got tethering with the last update/model when Nokia could do that over 10 years ago (Palm III connected to the net through my Nokia 5210 back in 1999) that I know of and probably before then.

Second point - I'm 35 so not a youngster by any stretch of the imagination and I get good 2-3 MMS/day from mates as it's so easy to just take a pic and just MMS it to me rather than explain and describe.
MMS is huge in my circle of friends.

I'll probably get one when my ipod classic packs up although I've always had an organiser of some sort (Palm III, Clie S300, Palm Vx, Clie SJ22, Clie TJ37, Clie TH55, Palm Treo 650, Blackberry 8310 and currently I have a Blackberry 8900) with the last three on the list being company phones and I rarely if ever find myself using it for web browsing or gaming or anything like that these days so the only draw the iphone has on me is the ipod/phone in one device as now I carry 2 phones and an ipod everywhere I go.
I'm sure I'll get one at some point, possibly next year or when the exclusivity ends and I can get one from my current carrier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode