GPS for the car - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

GPS for the car

how did i EVER get along without this thing? my brother got one for his bday a few weeks back and i saw it in action the other night. went and got the same one the next morning. it's a Garmin 330c. i was always calling someone for directions or ways out when i got lost. i have a bad sense of direction but no longer! it's full color, has a touch screen, and if you pass where it says to turn it recalculates and re-routes you until you get back on track. i got tired of printing maps from the web for churches or other areas, being that we photograph weddings and bands. the other best part is that it's free after you buy the unit. surprised there is not monthly satellite fee.....wait, i'm sure something will happen. just wanted to say this is a great investment for anyone!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Re: GPS for the car

+1

I bought one for the future mrs. doe for xmas and recently picked one up for myself. Both units are the same as yours - the Garmin c330. She is a real estate agent and is always going to unfamiliar addresses.

I tried the "tomtom one", but was not at all crazy about it - the only benefit is that it fits in your pocket. in Europe, if you have a bluetooth phone, you can get traffic and police info for an added fee, but not here in the US (yet). Also, the "Points of Interest" (POIs) were far superior in the Garmin

As a working musician, i can't afford to get lost and i don't always know exactly where i'm going. This tool is invaluable, especially in New jersey. I can never get my car pointed in the right direction there! We took it down to Miami and turned it on and it found us and got us where we needed to go very handily!

It's great to be able to find restaurants and gas stations, as well as knowing (approximately) when you'll arrive at your destination. Everybody should have one...and i think that soon, everybody will.

~K
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 AM

Reviews: 18

They're great but if you live in an area that is constantly changing (like the DC Metro area for example), you're bound to have to pay some sort of fee to upgrade the maps. I've got preinstalled navi systems in both of the cars and they're great (honda rules). If you ever decide to buy a new car, it's the best option you can get for the vehicle (if it's offered). Some people freak out about the thought of adding a 2000-2500 dollar option to their car but, it breaks down to be about 10-13 bucks a month on top of what you're already paying for the car.

Jimmy
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 AM

I use a tomtom one. Fort the price I paid it's a good basic sat nav system and to date haven't had any problems with it.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:27 AM

TomTom for me too!! The best gadget you can get !!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 AM

Yeh, I got mine new on fleabay for about £50 less than in the shops

Btw Mark, getting nervous about tonight yet mate?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Cool toys to have..... and a real benefit for aviators and boaters. But let's face it they're just another electronic toy that we're turning into a "necessity". What's next, a homing device for toilet paper or advisory PSA unit for public restrooms?

I sure can't see $2000.00 more for a car equipped with GPS when you can buy a portable unit way cheaper and carry it from one car to another. I'd be more apt to pay extra for a good sound system in a car..... it'll certainly get used more!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
Yeh, I got mine new on fleabay for about £50 less than in the shops

Btw Mark, getting nervous about tonight yet mate?

Optimistically confident

We'll be ok as long as it goes to penalties !!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Lol! Tbh, I'm pooing myself!! I'm getting well nervous. Come on redmen!!!

Sorry mods for going off topic. I'll stop now!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:55 PM

I just bought a Garmin 350 about 2 weeks ago. We're taking the kids to Disney at some point and decided a folder full of maps wouldn't cut it I like it, it's a gas. Garmin is supposed to have all new maps for the US out in September as well.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I just bought a Garmin 350 about 2 weeks ago. We're taking the kids to Disney at some point and decided a folder full of maps wouldn't cut it I like it, it's a gas. Garmin is supposed to have all new maps for the US out in September as well.
Hey Jim..... you'll have to check out Bok Tower too. Don't know how old the kids are and whether they'd enjoy it but I'll bet you and the Mrs. would! It's a stones throw from Disiney and "Spook Hill" is literally just down the street in Lake Wales.

http://www.boksanctuary.org/

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/FLLAKspook.html
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

i would never purchase a new car with an option of GPS...if i was to even buy a new car that is. it stays with the car. i can take it out and roam downtown now. and, it's much cheaper than $2000! MUCH CHEAPER. the bad thing is our new house is of course not on the grid since it's new construction and neither is my parents' new home...and they have been there a year! wonder how long it will take to have updated maps from satellite! i don't mind dropping the money on maps IF the new developed areas are included. does anyone know the answer to this?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Smile Re: GPS for the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
i would never purchase a new car with an option of GPS...if i was to even buy a new car that is. it stays with the car. i can take it out and roam downtown now. and, it's much cheaper than $2000! MUCH CHEAPER. the bad thing is our new house is of course not on the grid since it's new construction and neither is my parents' new home...and they have been there a year! wonder how long it will take to have updated maps from satellite! i don't mind dropping the money on maps IF the new developed areas are included. does anyone know the answer to this?
Like I said, some people freak out at the price and some don't. Different strokes for different folks. Master, I hope you didn't mean that you needed a gps to walk around town

As far as the updates are concerned, they're usually rolled out every couple of years or every year (depending on the company). Honda rolls out the nav dvd every year I believe.

Jimmy
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM

Smile Re: GPS for the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Where are you guys staying at Jim? If you're staying at a Disney resort, you won't need it b/c all you have to do is walk to the bus stop and the Disney busses will take you to the park of your choice for free. If you haven't considered it but thought about it, those hopper passes are the way to go. My wife and I purchased those for our honeymoon and we could go to any park we wanted as many times as we wanted on any day without paying anything.

Jimmy
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 PM

I paid $299 which is the going retail price in my area.

However, I have seen them online for $268 incl. shipping and no tax.

Definitely far more useful than anything to be classified as a 'gadget'. Imagine NEVER getting lost again.
~K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode