GPS navigators: help me choose a good one? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

GPS navigators: help me choose a good one?

Ok, so i'm finally looking into the GPS thing as i will be doing more travelling to places i've never been to before. Sometimes i have to travel at night, and i don't want to have to fish for the light to turn on to look at the map or mapquest printouts while driving, too dangerous. On the otherhand, i want a display big enough and can still see or read if it is sunny out.

This will be my first GPS, and i need some feedback on different models.....from those of you who have one. So far, i'm seeing a lot of Garmin, and magellans as far as brand names go.

I am looking for something that is easy to use, see in the daytime when it is sunny, accurate, and can also show where high traffic areas are, and detailed POI's with phone numbers as much as possible. I am also looking for one that has a good solid mount that doesnt fall off easily............and good battery life........rechargeable a plus. Easy updating a huge plus, and good customer support.

Some suggestions and feedback would be helpful, so thanks in advance!

Budget $250-$500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 AM

Re: GPS navigators: help me choose a good one?

we have a garmen navigater . it is ok once you get use to what it means . it will say exit in .7 miles so you have to be careful to not get off too soon or listen to what number exit is says .

another thing is shortest time versus shortest distance . mine was set to shortest time and it would try to make me get on the major roads instead of sticking to side roads that were actaully more direct but would have supposedly taken longer. it can't take into account the travel conditions .
if travling long distances or into an unknown city it is invaulable . it shows resturants , parking , you can push in guitar center for instance and it will find the closest one and tell you how to get there . it shows hotels , attractions and more .

i think the one we have was 300 something new , be sure to shop around at your local electronic stores for the best prices but if you do a lot of traveling they are certainly worth it .
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 AM

One thing I can tell you is stay away from the Magellan. I have a Roadmate model that I have had nothing but problems with. Misses at least one turn in every trip with the voice guidance. As long as I am paying attention to the screen I'm ok, if not forget it. Its done this since the first week I owned it. I tried to return it, but the store said the manufacture has set a 14 day limit for returns. Tech support has been no help either. After all this I did some research on the net and found its a common problem with these models.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM

i've got a garmin nuvi 200 (the base model) and its perfect, has a list of restaurants and petrol stations etc too which has come in handy a few times
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Reviews: 9

I have a Lowrance iWay 500 that I got last year about this time. The 5" screen is big and bright which is very easy to see even in direct sunlight. Lowrance provides downloadable updates a few times a year which is great that they strive to keep their product current. I've owned a Garmin and a Cobra, but the iWay is by far the best unit of the bunch and it is also much cheaper than comparable models. You can't go wrong with this one.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 AM

We have two Garmin 330s (one for each car) and we're VERY happy with them. It's a great investment...imagine NEVER being lost ever again. This is probably the most useful piece of technology 'they' have come up with in the last 10 years. We took ours on a trip to Florida and it was an invaluable tool.

I tried the tom tom one and returned it - the points of interest were too few and the interface wasn't user friendly enough for me. The c330 is idiot-proof. So simple to use right out of the box.

The garmin c330 tells you when to turn, but doesn't say the street name, which i don't personally find necessary anyway.

the c330 is less than $250 at this point, i believe. It totally gets the job done.

edit- amazon has it for $229.99 right now
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM

A brain and a map is usually good enough.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
One thing I can tell you is stay away from the Magellan. I have a Roadmate model that I have had nothing but problems with. Misses at least one turn in every trip with the voice guidance. As long as I am paying attention to the screen I'm ok, if not forget it. Its done this since the first week I owned it. I tried to return it, but the store said the manufacture has set a 14 day limit for returns. Tech support has been no help either. After all this I did some research on the net and found its a common problem with these models.

Thanks for the heads up, i think i'll stay from Magellans, i've been reading a lot of negative stuff about it, so that helps me narrow things down.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM

I love my Tom Tom One. The most affordable but no missing features I can find.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:00 AM

go with the garmin. i got the 330. one of the best things i ever bought. i'm always lost. not anymore.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
A brain and a map is usually good enough.
Well you can buy a map but the brain part........
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Well you can buy a map but the brain part........
Unfortunatley maps don't find me food, gas, parking etc. either. My gps does, plus have you ever tried to navigate the southern california freeway system with just a brain and a map?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 PM

I sell all brands of these in my shop, personally i'd have a Garmin. A tomtom if you must but a garmin is a better unit. Avoid a navman like the plague, they are crap.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Well, i went with a Garmin nuvi, overstock had a $60 coupon so i got a good deal, i'll see how it goes. i read good reviews on these so i'm going to try it out.......if it doesnt work, i can return it and try something else.

My wife wants to take a trip now, i guess that's a good way to find out

Thanks to all who gave a review and opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode