grammys rant - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

grammys rant

i have never been a fan of pop culture cotton candy drama that's rammed down our throats on the radio. my wife watched the grammys the other night while i was in the room. i had to leave because i couldn't keep my comments to myself. it's nothing more than a rap fest with regurgitated watered down one hit wonders of the week. unreal. where's the metal, the jazz, the blues? maybe 30 seconds, and then it's another 20 mins of lady gag gag and black eyed peas and everyone else who sounds the same as the next. the grammys for the last 10 years or longer are now what has become of mtv. it saddens me that thousands of musicians and songwriters will never be given a chance, never heard, with this garbage on the radio. what a circus. there is literally no talent worth seeing or hearing on these "awards." if you're part of the grammy's, shouldn't you be the best? what really floored me is when an award was given for the best band featuring the best guitarist? it was between jeff beck, john mayer, and a couple others in that field. the band muse won. really? for guitar work? what a slap in the face
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Reviews: 57
Re: grammys rant

I was too young to know the difference the first couple of grammy shows I watched, then I remember the year they had the award for metal album, Metallica - ...and justice for all was up against Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave, Tull won, and it dawned on me that they the grammy people have no idea what they're even talking about. I haven't given them a second thought since then.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Since 2000 I don't listen to the radio and tv only for discovery/history channel and some series.
I couldn't care less about all other stuff.
Of course sometimes when I'm in my friends houses I see what's happening and............................................NO THANKS.
Media is the same in the whole world,the dumber people are,the dumber media is,it's called give to people what people wants.
I don't blame media,I blame dumb people who buy that stuff.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I agree with both of you. I remember that metallica incident. I gave up on the grammys before then but thought i would check it out. when i saw that upset, i gave up as well
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

shredmaster--

Artistic criticism is a valid and worthwhile endeavor. Done well, it gives us insight into our culture and the art that enriches our lives (or wastes our time). But you're right, what you have here is nothing more than a rant.

Taste is subjective and you can't argue that pop music or rap is inferior to "the metal, the jazz, the blues" that you prefer. Well, I guess you can make any argument you like, but it's not a very strong or compelling argument. It will very quickly decline into a shouting match with you on one side screaming, "rock rules!" and a bunch of Little Monsters on the other saying "GaGa's the greatest!"

As for me, I like all kinds of music. Social commentary rap from Kanye and Common and the Roots. Country artists Charlie Daniels, Johnny Cash, Lady Antebellum, and the Zac Brown Band. Shredders like Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani. Singer-songwriters like Paul Simon and Bob Dylan. Bach and Chopin.

It's a big musical world out there and I can't imagine it without the dark, serious lo-fi recording of Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska or the mindless, feel-good, party-all-the-time bubblegum-pop of Ke$ha's Animal (one of my guilty pleasures. )

What do you listen to when you want to get down, Buckethead and Michael Angelo Batio . . . or Marvin G a y e and Janet Jackson?

Peace

Mike

Last edited by Hikey Mikey; 02-15-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Really? We're gonna censor Marvin's last name? C'mon, man . . .
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM

I will say that Eminem's performance was good. It was a great production with some great singers involved.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
shredmaster--

Artistic criticism is a valid and worthwhile endeavor. Done well, it gives us insight into our culture and the art that enriches our lives (or wastes our time). But you're right, what you have here is nothing more than a rant.

Taste is subjective and you can't argue that pop music or rap is inferior to "the metal, the jazz, the blues" that you prefer. Well, I guess you can make any argument you like, but it's not a very strong or compelling argument. It will very quickly decline into a shouting match with you on one side screaming, "rock rules!" and a bunch of Little Monsters on the other saying "GaGa's the greatest!"

As for me, I like all kinds of music. Social commentary rap from Kanye and Common and the Roots. Country artists Charlie Daniels, Johnny Cash, Lady Antebellum, and the Zac Brown Band. Shredders like Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani. Singer-songwriters like Paul Simon and Bob Dylan. Bach and Chopin.

It's a big musical world out there and I can't imagine it without the dark, serious lo-fi recording of Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska or the mindless, feel-good, party-all-the-time bubblegum-pop of Ke$ha's Animal (one of my guilty pleasures. )

What do you listen to when you want to get down, Buckethead and Michael Angelo Batio . . . or Marvin G a y e and Janet Jackson?

Peace

Mike
I think you misunderstood. I'm not a closed minded musician who only wants metal. It wasn't even across the board during that show. I listen to everything from mozart, paganini, beethoveen, brahms, to cab calloway, robert johnson, miles davis, to michael jackson, 80's (duran duran, men at work, talking heads, etc.) to metallica, paul gilbert, techno, and many more. there was not equal time given to each category as in the academy awards. every performance was rap or garbage cotton candy radio. the show was unbalanced, favoring teeny bopper and rap. hopefully this is more clear now.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
I think you misunderstood..
Yep he did.
Yes we can judge quality without letting our personal tastes pick up only what we like. GRAMMY should offer variety,different stuff,creative stuff and not only a small part(maybe 0,000000000000000000000000001 lol) of what's out there.
It should bring NEW stuff and not always the same stuff which always sound the same because dumb people ALWAYS buy the same stuff,they don't like to experiment,they don't want to think,they want always the same things.
It doesn't matter if the music there had good or bad quality cause it's the same music of last year and will be the same next year.They only change names.
That's how I see it today.
This is called bad quality no matter what style or artist.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Reviews: 17

I used to be a huge fan of muse, but since the latest album, its turned me right off them.

However, Matt Bellamy is bang tidy guitarist, your probably angry since he's not throwing twelve fingers of tap a second, (however he does throw notes quite fast) but its not how many he can play, its what he does to them. The insane, messed up sounds he achives by applying certain effects at certain times give his licks such flavour and colour its wonderful.

That's why Muse will have won.

And as for the Gaga, well. I am a fan of hers.... If you strip her music down to chords and melody, they're very beautiful. You'll complain that she's too pop which is true, but thats because what her musics set about, thats why it sounds that way.

That and she looks good with a steak wrapped round her.

They do look on artists as a whole, since getting popular can also be a skill, but i do agree they should start taking longevity into consideration as well. For instance, i do enjoy Ke$ha, she has a cool and quirky style that enables me to rather than think of the music, just enjoy it as a whole. But i know in a few years times she'll probably mean nothing.

Now, just so i don't seem bias towards pop, i enjoy plenty of other music too (Not so much anything with core, or griend or hard in the genre title, but i do enjoy metal bands, but at the sametime don't enjoy really light indie bands nor Ska(Unless its a raggae sort of ska). For instance, I love primus and im off to watch them in July. Can't wait!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Everyone admit it, Bob Dylan rocked the show!!

Is it just me, or is he friggin awful? Luckily the music seemed to drown out his voice at the begining..which is when I decided to take a bathroom break. The sound of a flushing toilet was more appealing to my ears.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN50 View Post
Everyone admit it, Bob Dylan rocked the show!!

Is it just me, or is he friggin awful? Luckily the music seemed to drown out his voice at the begining..which is when I decided to take a bathroom break. The sound of a flushing toilet was more appealing to my ears.
Bob Dylan always sounded to me like a giant nose singing and not a person lol
And his music...........well I prefer the sound of your flushing toilet
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big The Cat View Post
your probably angry since he's not throwing twelve fingers of tap a second, (however he does throw notes quite fast) but its not how many he can play, its what he does to them.
no i don't feel that way at all. not that it matters but i'm almost 40...been around the block a few times...and not a young kid awed by speed or the "hero guitarist" of today. A really great player can say more with a beautifully-sustained note with awesome tone than any fast player. you know that. speed and cool technique are nice in the right spots as icing on the cake. i have walked out of yngwie shows (I love him and no offense to him at all) because i couldn't stand the finger gymnastics.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM

At least there was one bit of justice. Justin Beiber didn't win!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspy View Post
I was too young to know the difference the first couple of grammy shows I watched, then I remember the year they had the award for metal album, Metallica - ...and justice for all was up against Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave, Tull won, and it dawned on me that they the grammy people have no idea what they're even talking about. I haven't given them a second thought since then.
That's the LAST year I ever watched the Grammys! I still think of Justice as my favorite Metallica album, and the last great one--before Bob Rock came in and ruined them. Anyway, how does Jethro Tull even get into the metal category??? When they beat out Metallica, and everyone thought Hetfield and crew would take it--I was shocked.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Reviews: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
That's the LAST year I ever watched the Grammys! I still think of Justice as my favorite Metallica album, and the last great one--before Bob Rock came in and ruined them. Anyway, how does Jethro Tull even get into the metal category??? When they beat out Metallica, and everyone thought Hetfield and crew would take it--I was shocked.
I vaguely remember reading that even some of the members of Tull were pretty confused by it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode