Was this guitar ever built???? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Was this guitar ever built????

I had a dream a few nights ago that I was building a guitar that was a one piece. Meaning that the guitar was made from a single piece of wood; not just a 'neck through' but a slab large enough that the body and neck was in fact one piece with no seams.

I was thinking if maple, even the fret board could be included if a back route truss was installed...so the entire guitar could be just 1 piece of wood.

Has anyone EVER heard of a guitar built like this????

Any thoughts or comments on the idea????

~JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 AM

Re: Was this guitar ever built????

When I was a kid I thought that les pauls and all set neck guitars were all one piece . That is a good question.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 AM

Reviews: 2

http://www.serenghettiguitars.com/
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 AM

Looking for this?
http://www.glazbeni-forum.com/topic/...grobnik/page-5
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Those are works of art. Other than neck through though, I don't see the point. Wouldn't a neck through essentially be the same thing sonically?

Visually though a single piece of maple would be a cool achievement but not really noticed other than very close up.

A more challenging, and probably more expensive endeavor would be a guitar from a single piece of lucite. Fender made a lucite neck on a lucite body in the standard bolt on configuration for NAMM so somebody can probably do a one piece lucite.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 11

With the way wood works, I honestly wouldn't trust a guitar made from ONE PIECE of wood to stand the test of time. Unless the guitar was catalyzed or vulcanized, over time it would start to move for sure, resulting in... "less then desirable" results. Its definitely been done before, and people still do it, but I have no idea why haha. A neck through guitar would inherently have much more stability over the long haul.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
With the way wood works, I honestly wouldn't trust a guitar made from ONE PIECE of wood to stand the test of time. Unless the guitar was catalyzed or vulcanized, over time it would start to move for sure, resulting in... "less then desirable" results. Its definitely been done before, and people still do it, but I have no idea why haha. A neck through guitar would inherently have much more stability over the long haul.
I like either maple neck through or a laminated neck through with two different types of woods (maple, mahogany, maple) or (maple, maple, maple) but with middle piece as opposing grain to stabilize neck. I couldn't imagine an all one piece mahogany guitar since I would imagine that thing warping over time. I don't trust rosewood either since my rosewood furniture has warped, but only slightly. But for a guitar that could wreak havoc on action.

But there may be woods out there that are so stable that a one piece guitar won't move enough to affect action in any way. I would always be worrying about humidity since completely dry it would crack and fall apart and too humid it would also get damaged. I don't know if the body would pull on the neck anymore than if it was separate pieces as on an SG or Les Paul which already have enough issues with twisted mahogany necks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Clearly one would have to be careful about their choice in slabs. Something 50+ years would be a good idea.

I am just glad to see that someone else did it (*meaning I am not entirely crazy). I never thought there would be any benefit other then it would be cool to have.

The builders blog.....well thats EXACTLY what I was talking about, and with the exception that I would not want a fully scalloped neck is pretty much what I had in my head.

Thankfully someone else already did it. This means I dont have to.

~JH
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Honestly, doesn't matter how old the wood is. Weather changes, humidity changes, a slight accident, etc can ruin the guitar very very quickly. You would DEFINITELY have to keep a sharp eye on the thing and baby it at all times. Probably more pain then its worth if you asked me. The novelty factor is there though, an all figured maple solid guitar would be cool as hell haha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM

Great wall piece though!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
Clearly one would have to be careful about their choice in slabs. Something 50+ years would be a good idea.

I am just glad to see that someone else did it (*meaning I am not entirely crazy). I never thought there would be any benefit other then it would be cool to have.

The builders blog.....well thats EXACTLY what I was talking about, and with the exception that I would not want a fully scalloped neck is pretty much what I had in my head.

Thankfully someone else already did it. This means I dont have to.

~JH
Other than wood that is completely green, age doesn't usually matter.

What you are shooting for is wood around 18% percent humidity. Zero percent and you literally have dust and too much and you are waterlogged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode