Guitar magazines - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Guitar magazines

Ok guys. I have been wanting to learn more about music, music theory, and improving. I was referred to guitar player magazine. Is this a good magazine? I hear there are lessons and tips in them, is this any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Re: Guitar magazines

You would benefit more from a guitar teacher, its a better bang for your buck than a magazine. Besides there is way more information for FREE on the web. I find that magazine in particular more of a equipment and guitar brochure more than a music and theory learning tool.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah, magazines have great info in them, but don't teach you very well. Interpersonal interaction is the best way to do it. Even just watching stuff on youtube is better, I've picked up some great licks from the likes of Pablo.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I have used the internet for about a year now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

yeah theres enough info on the net.rather than buying magazines.one on one with a teacher is great but its rather expensive.my last lesson was in 11 years ago i was paying £13 a hour.theres a guy in the same town as me who charges £25 a hour.see what i mean about expensive,just trawl the net for what you want to know.youtube has zillions of lessons aswell for every style.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 AM

If you still want to get some magazines, check out your local second hand bookstores and save yourself some $. It's a great way to build a library of song tabs cheaply. Guitar Player is one of the better magazines imho.

Still, online lessons or magazines are no match for a good teacher, but there's no reason you can't use all three.

Rock on!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think that Guitar Techniques is probably the best tuition magazine, the others I've seen tend to teach you songs, rather than how to play.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM

get guitar world for fun candy coated guitar info. ha ha. its like the entertainment weekly of guitardom. i love it myself.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 21

I like guitar mags, especially since I can't take a guitar into the bathroom.
Guitar Player is nice and well-rounded, but it's sometimes a bit pretentious.
Guitar World is nice, and it had GREAT columns, but lots of it IS eye candy and they tend to focus on what's popular. How many Dragonforce columns have there been in GW in the last few months?
PS: The laptop doesn't work well in the bathroom either!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Because of t'internet I don't get mags anymore. I used to get Total Guitar nearly every month for like 5 years (mainly for the regular Paul Gilbert column) but I just didn't get any use out of them to warrant the money being spent. I like to pick up Guitar World every now and again if I'm going on a trip anywhere for something to read, but otherwise no. It's just another expense that I find is un-needed for me when I can use the internet and teach myself or jam with friends.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM

I don't like Guitar Player, if your looking for a good mag that teaches you then pickup Guitar Techniques. No other magazine comes close in that department.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:26 PM

I have used Guitar Player for the tabs occasionally. I enjoyed reading some of the articles and columns but for the most part for learning hire a competent teacher. You'll have to find a balance between learning tunes and pieces, studies (arpeggio patterns, scales and chord shapes), and just putting in the time. I didn't start the guitar until later on (in my twenties) and managed to bypass the garage jamming thing - this was a major mistake - play with other folks when and where you can. Musicians are always willing to show you something.... but still when I travel for business a guitar mag with a tab or two that I am interested in and the Stienberger - what else could a fellow ask for? Hey does anybody want to discuss the airlines and the yet again new rules for musical instrument transport? Sorry I digress..... and anybody with the Guitar Player with the tab for Theme for an Imaginary Western in it (I think Vai was on the cover) I love to know about it..... again I digress...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Reviews: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think that Guitar Techniques is probably the best tuition magazine, the others I've seen tend to teach you songs, rather than how to play.
I agreed :-)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Sorry I digress..... and anybody with the Guitar Player with the tab for Theme for an Imaginary Western in it (I think Vai was on the cover) I love to know about it..... again I digress...[/QUOTE]

This song was transcribed in Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine. It was in the June 1988 issue. Send me a PM if you want a copy.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I like guitar mags, especially since I can't take a guitar into the bathroom.
Lies..unless your bathroom just can't ergonomically fit a guitar.
I have two guitars stationed in a corner across from the bathroom at the end of the hallway, just so I can grab and "go", if you know what I mean...

Tags
magazines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode