Guitarists thumb ? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Guitarists thumb ?

anyone out there ever had problems with their fretting hand thumb ?
lately mine has been painful to the point where I cant sqeeze the toothpaste from the tube
its when I put pressure on it in a certain direction, it feels bloody painful and seems to click a lot as I move it.

is this something that is normal or is it time to go get fobbed off by the NHS ?

Cheers.

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Re: Guitarists thumb ?

As a guitar teacher: I would say this is common if you play very much the first year of playing. Things you can do to avoid this is to warm up, take breaks - but also to generally use your thumb more to gain strenght.

As a player: Dude! You are old! Stop playing guitars and stick to building them!

On a serious note: It could be due to strain. Depends on how you play. Do you apply a lot of pressure when playing barré chords/power chords? The thumb must withstand the pressure from the other fingers, that's 4 to 1. Not fair at all. I would take it easy for a while. Maybe even try to play without the thumb behind the neck. It can be done, but it's a bit strange.

And again. Build!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Guitarists thumb ?

The only real problem I have, and it's not my thumb, is when I pick, I rub/graze my index fingernail across the strings and it wears/erodes away the nail. Because of this I always have to attach a fake one on it!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

cheers guys,
well yes im not really a touch player, I attempt to crush the fingerboard every time I grip it - I have been trying to lighten up my touch a little and now it looks as though I must do it.

deadtune - I thought I was the only one who did that - I have to say that I dont have to replace nails though !
I use the finger as a kind of pick/string mute control and yes, it wears out pretty quickly..

im pretty relieved, you do start to worry when you cant squeeze a toothpaste tube
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Tags
arthritis , pain , thumb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode