Guitars on US domestic flights? Help needed ASAP!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Guitars on US domestic flights? Help needed ASAP!!

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help!

I have a friend who’s going to pick up a guitar in the States for me - IF he can take it on the domestic flights. He’s trying to get upgraded to business class, but if he can’t, what could he do?

Does anybody have any experience of taking guitars on domestic flights? It’s in a hardcase…

Thanks for any replies - I need to know by tonight!!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 AM

Re: Guitars on US domestic flights? Help needed ASAP!!

I've taken my VWH on flights to Britian and back a few times. They let me take it right on as long as it fit in the overhead compartment.

Ask the lady at the ticket counter to tag it as carry on. Tell them it is an expensive rare guitar, lol. It totally depends on the airline as well. If not, then ask if you can stowe it with the flight attendants gear. I've not had a problem so far. Good luck

I do know that Continental WILL do it. (or did anyways)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 AM

I have never tried it, but there was a thread not long ago on it and everyone who tried to bring a cased guitar on a flight said that they had no problems and the airlines were quite accomodating for it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 AM

Reviews: 16

Yea, I've been on just about every airline and have seen plenty of people bring their guitar on board.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Banned

^ Thanks for the replies. Were these all domestic flights you've seen them taken on? And we're talking standard class here!!

My friend sent me this:

"The problem here is that for US domestic they will insist that any large items (and this guitar looks big) goes in as hold luggage - normally this would be ok but as I am flying from the two most rubbish airports in the Western World - La Guardia and Washington Dulles - I would be very nervous about this."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Reviews: 16

Yes, all domestic. However, if they do give them trouble then put colored tape on each side of the case and put FRAGILE - HANDLE WITH CARE on it. They won't bang it up and they'll wedge it between some luggage where it won't shift around any.

They do the same thing with baby strollers and wheel chairs. They leave them on the Jetway and the guys take them down from there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:29 PM

I have taken a full-size dreadnought case on board a plane, but I think it really depends on how full the flight is. If you are on a flight that is packed, and everybody on it is also trying to maximize their carry-on allowance, the flight attendants will not let you do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode