Gun toting freak. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Gun toting freak.

A couple of weeks ago, I went out to a friend's house (someone who lives nearby with whom I was in the Marine Corps) and he layed out all of his hunting rifles, shotguns and a couple of pistols. He has a great piece of property, and the township in which he lives allows you to fire weapons during daylight hours. We had a great time shooting. It was a great stress relief. I haven't fired a weapon since I left Guantanamo Bay in 1997.

Now, I am "jones-ing" to shoot. I have visited local gunshops looking at rifles, but the prices to buy new are kind of high. For example, I was looking at a Bushmaster XM15, which is very similar to the M16 I used in the Corps. The price was over $1,000. I am only looking to occasionally plink some targets, and will probably not shoot very often.

So, the point of this thread is to find out if anyone here is into shooting, and if so do you know of any online resources for buying used or discounted weapons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 AM

Re: Gun toting freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
I am only looking to occasionally plink some targets, and will probably not shoot very often.
In this case I would just stick to going to a shooting gallery and rent a gun to shoot, theres no point in spending $$$ on a gun your only going to shoot a few times a year. My roommate spent like $600 on a handgun for this same reason, he's gone like 3 times in the last 18 months...
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Do airsoft guns count?
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:49 AM

Well, there are a number of online resources for buying guns, but ultimately you have to receive the weapon from a local licensed gun dealer. There are a couple of auction sites like evil-bay, but for guns ang gun related stuff. Do a web search and you'll find 'em. If you win the auction, you arrange to have the gun sent to a licensed dealer where you live, and then you have that dealer take care of all your paperwork (for a reasonable fee - usually not more than $20). I think there are FAQ's on those sites that explain what you have to do.

$1000 for a Bushamster rifle seems pretty steep. Now that the assault rifle ban is over, you should be able to get one in the $600-$700 range. Unless you get one with all kinds of add-ons, of course.

Shooting is a LOT of fun, and a great stress reliever. Saftey, of course, is the NUMBER ONE priority when it comes to shooting sports. Good luck!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
In this case I would just stick to going to a shooting gallery and rent a gun to shoot, theres no point in spending $$$ on a gun your only going to shoot a few times a year. My roommate spent like $600 on a handgun for this same reason, he's gone like 3 times in the last 18 months...
For some strange reason, and I can't explain why, but I don't really want to rent a weapon to shoot. It might make no sense at all, considering that I will only do this occassionally.

Thanks for the info so far.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart View Post
Do airsoft guns count?
You mean like this?

Tried it, and although fun and equally expensive, too far from the real thing.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Vendor

Since all firearm sales are predicated on the purchaser being of sound mind, you might want to make sure you can qualify for an FFL before you start buying
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:06 AM

Kirk,

Years back, I decided to invest in a gun. I bought a Colt AR-15 CAR-A3 HBAR Elite accurized rifle. It is a beautiful thing to shoot and look at ;p The original price I found it for was $1500. After hours of searching on the web, I found a guy in Montana that would sell it for $1,100.

A buddy of mine that I worked with knew a guy with a FFL, so he called and asked him if he could order one. The guy calls back and I offered to sell it to me for cost + 5% for his profilt. I ended up paying $897 for it.

My advice, pick the gun you want. Search all over the internet for the rock bottom lowest price you can find. Look for a person with a FFL near you, or related to you or a family member and see if they will cut you a good deal on the price.

Some research time on your part will save you tons of money =) Also check out the shotgun news magazine, and classifieds in your area. Lots of people sell guns cheap when they need money for other things.

Oh, and lastly, I must warn you: If you buy 1 gun like the gun in the pic you posted, you will get the gun owners equivalent of GAS lol =)

Best of luck on your purchase, and remember that guns really are an investment.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
You mean like this?

Tried it, and although fun and equally expensive, too far from the real thing.
wow! That thing makes my little pistol run and hide!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:25 AM

I was looking at www.impactguns.com

AK-47s are so cheap! I kinda want one, since I don't want to spend so much on something that I'll probably use it three times.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 AM

The best online is gunsamerica.com
What you have to do is check with a local gunshop and see if they will take delivery. Theres lots of good firearms dealers on this site and also there are private sellers.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_76 View Post
Oh, and lastly, I must warn you: If you buy 1 gun like the gun in the pic you posted, you will get the gun owners equivalent of GAS lol =)
LOL GAS=Gun Aquisition Syndrome

I would like to get an airsoft replica but here in Malaysia, even a paintball gun is illegal to the general public, you'd need a license to own it, same goes to any real firearm.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
I was looking at www.impactguns.com

AK-47s are so cheap! I kinda want one, since I don't want to spend so much on something that I'll probably use it three times.
There are a lot of rifles to be found in the $200 & up price range. I know I can buy one at any local sporting goods store, even at WalMart. I'm thinking AR15/CAR15 etc because I have an intimate knowledge of them, and feel comfortable using them (with respect to safety.)

Yeah Rich you may be right. Fortunately I don't have a criminal record, and I know a few gun owners who are more mentally challenged than I am, so there shouldn't be any problems.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 PM

I've never fired a gun in my life. I wanted to go to a rifle range for my birthday but that was a no go. Then I wanted to go skydiving but nope to that too. Its for the best I dont own a fire arm.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Check around dont pay pre brady bill prices. I have seen tricked out Ar variants go for about 700 used if thats what your into. Check local gun shops and local papers dont buy anything that the owner will not let you field strip to check. Me personally I dont like any of the AR type guns I dont like the recoil buffer spring associated with them *bang buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz* but thats just me. I have a few "fun" rifles mostly of the russian manufacture. But now days I am more into accuracy and building custom .45's BTW bushmaster is top of the line and exspect to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode