Guy Fawks - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Guy Fawks

Well here's one for the Brits. Guy Fawks/Bonfire night was tonight did everyone have a blast? I had a great night! but one of our rockets ( the biggest we had ) didnt launch and blew up on the ground. The touch paper burnt away instantly giving us no time to get back and man what a noise! luckly no one was hurt but it was one hell-ova' sight seeing a 500gram rocket blow up about 5meters away from you. No pics of that but i got some pics of the rest of the rockets(same ones) we had that did in fact take off!

Share your stories/pics or whatever. 4th of july stuff welcome too.

Oh, whats the biggest legal fireworks you can get? the ones we had made a pretty big explosion but nothing insane. The ones we had were the biggest ones sold out of Tescos Asda and Morrisons. They were called "Black Mamba's" I was impressed, but now I want more! MORE!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:10 AM

Re: Guy Fawks

Nice photos, hope you had fun. I've been to Dundee, your post brings back memories of haggis, fine-looking birds, and pubs filled with beer and cheer!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmaman View Post
They were called "Black Mamba's"
Are you sure these were fireworks??
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Nice pics! Can you give us over here on the other side of the pond some history on this celebration? I've never heard of it before. It looks like you had fun.

edit: I found it on Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Last edited by FloridaNative; 11-06-2007 at 10:23 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM

To do with this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_fawkes

You beat me to it FN
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
To do with this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_fawkes

You beat me to it FN
I'm amazing like that! hehe
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 AM

Reading the first link made me realise.....i didn't see any kids what-so-ever doing "penny for the guy" this year!!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Reading the first link made me realise.....i didn't see any kids what-so-ever doing "penny for the guy" this year!!!!
"It is traditional for children to go door-to-door with their creation asking for a small donation using the term "Penny For The Guy".[2] In recent years this has attracted controversy as some regard it as nothing more than begging. Whilst it was traditional for children to spend the money raised on fireworks, this is now illegal, as persons under 18 cannot buy fireworks or even be in possession of them in a public place.[3]"

It sounds almost like trick or treating! Do the kids there in the UK trick or treat also for Halloween?? I figure they must no? since Halloween originated with ya'll.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Trick or treating is not so big in the UK. Some kids do it but not to many Guy Fawkes night is the one where everyone sets off the a rocket or two.

Yea they were called Black Mamba's, lots of innuendos when they "fired"
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmaman View Post
Trick or treating is not so big in the UK. Some kids do it but not to many Guy Fawkes night is the one where everyone sets off the a rocket or two.

Yea they were called Black Mamba's, lots of innuendos when they "fired"
It sounds like a nice holiday.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
"It is traditional for children to go door-to-door with their creation asking for a small donation using the term "Penny For The Guy".[2] In recent years this has attracted controversy as some regard it as nothing more than begging. Whilst it was traditional for children to spend the money raised on fireworks, this is now illegal, as persons under 18 cannot buy fireworks or even be in possession of them in a public place.[3]"

It sounds almost like trick or treating! Do the kids there in the UK trick or treat also for Halloween?? I figure they must no? since Halloween originated with ya'll.
Yes we do "Trick or Treat" although some people consider this to be an American import and don't like it!
We still make "Guys" out of old clothes stuffed with newspaper and whatnot and stick them on the top of a bonfire and burn them in remembrance of Mr Fawkes!
Jim
(sorry the two posts above snuk in while I was editing!)

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 11-06-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Update
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 10

Halloween is my fave day of the year! i dont go trick or treating any more though, but night clubs are always the best on that date

i always take off halloween and Nov 1st at work (Nov 1st recovery day).

I missed firework night last night, got in from work, felt like crap, fell asleep.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Reviews: 10

oh and cool pics!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post

I don't think it did...

AFAIK trick or treating originated in continental Europe (St. Martin's Day 11/11):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin%27s_Day
which is something that I've done as a boy.

much like how the USA inherited the Saint Nicholas festivities from the early Dutch colonists and later German immigrants, but changed them to coincide with Christmas.

but the Halloween celebrations are also linked to other festivities, such as
-Celtic New Year/Harvest
-obviously the evening of All Saints day
-All Souls Day. (catholic holidays)

What I've never understood is, why he is called Guy Fawkes, when he himself used the name Guido?

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
Yes we do "Trick or Treat" although some people consider this to be an American import and don't like it!
We still make "Guys" out of old clothes stuffed with newspaper and whatnot and stick them on the top of a bonfire and burn them in remembrance of Mr Fawkes!
Jim
(sorry the two posts above snuk in while I was editing!)
hehe It's funny how something that originated in the UK can be considered "American" hehehe

I've heard it said that Americans are famous (or infamous ) for taking things from other countries, Americanizing it, and then selling it back to them. hehehehe i.e. pizza, tacos etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode