Hair Metal is making a comeback! - Page 6 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Re: Hair Metal is making a comeback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

I can't hear a damn thing you're saying! I've got Seventh Son of a Seventh Son cranked up to.....well...INFINITY!!! -XM41
Oh....

I SAID...

CHANCLETAS ARE SANDALS OR FLIP FLOPS IN A ROUNDABOUT SENSE, BUT MORE SPECIFICALLY FOR A CUBAN GIRL (AND THE WAY THAT I USE IT) CHANCLETAS ARE THOSE KIND OF SHOES THAT ARE OPEN TOED WITH NO STRAPS ON THE HEEL AND BIG, HEAVY, CHUNKY SOLES.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Hair Metal is making a comeback!

Not all the lyrical content of 80'S bands was "cheesy" that is your opinion I bet that some of the stuff you guys listen to would be cheesy in my eyes! it's just a matter of taste!
post #78 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 PM

For rock, IMO, alternative is where it's at. Every band sounds different, unlike this hair metal nonsense where every band sounds the exact same. Hair metal was rock at it's worst, IMO.

Alternative is still big, and hopefully it stays that way.
post #79 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 PM

I like some hair metal - and one of the biggest reasons is b/c I like to see bands/musicians having fun onstage and really just having a good time. If the band is having a good time, odds are the audience will as well - unless they have absolutely zilch for talent.

What I don't like are bands that are so depressing and dark when they play. I want to see musicians/performers truly enjoying and loving what they do. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that I'm going to hate dark bands that have depressing lyrics - but I would hate it if their entire show was that dark.

My 2 cents!
post #80 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
Not all the lyrical content of 80'S bands was "cheesy" that is your opinion I bet that some of the stuff you guys listen to would be cheesy in my eyes! it's just a matter of taste!
ALL of it, no. Some good came from the 80s, although alot less good came from the hair metal guys. Personally, I'll take London Calling over Cherry Pie all day.
post #81 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Just as long as you don't call Warren Di Martini a girl! Otherwise I'll have to come up there to Chicago and kick your ass! hehehe Oh and btw, YES I will have on my chancletas too! You don't want to be kicked with those trust me!
FN
You KNOW I love it when you talk to me like that. Now if you will just preface it with "Papi Chulo" all would be right in my world.
post #82 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Personally, I'll take London Calling over Cherry Pie all day.
Arent your statements a bit contradictive???

Quote:
for me it's women and rock,
post #83 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Dee

^^ Good point! Elcid, you are a shallow human being.

J/K I love you really, but not in that way.

Seriously, I think Cid's totally right. I can't think of one "hair" band with good lyrics. Can anyone else? If you can think of one, post up the name and then we can compare the lyrics of the hair band to, say, Living Colour (I.E; a band with talent and a good message).
post #84 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
^^ Good point! Elcid, you are a shallow human being.

J/K I love you really, but not in that way.

Seriously, I think Cid's totally right. I can't think of one "hair" band with good lyrics. Can anyone else? If you can think of one, post up the name and then we can compare the lyrics of the hair band to, say, Living Colour (I.E; a band with talent and a good message).
Who says I'm a human being?

There has to be atleast one or two, though I couldnt name them. Even so, when the attempt at serious lyrics came around (generally in Power Ballad form), it was usually worse than the other stuff.
Dont misunderstand me, it's not just the lyrics that I couldnt stand. It was the complete package that was Hair Metal.
Its like the band signed a contract then got a "How to have a 5 year Career Box" filled with hair spray, lipstick, spandex and pink BC Riches.

Even the Beatles wrote some real garbage lyrics, but there was something about what they did that keeps getting them new fans 40+ years later.
post #85 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'll take London Calling over Cherry Pie all day.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................pie
post #86 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM

Did someone just say Living Colour was a good band?

post #87 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Did someone just say Living Colour was a good band?

Are you serious? LC are an astonishing band. I hope you are not serious, Dino!

I used to think you were pretty sussed. Is that not true?
post #88 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 AM

Living Colour is great!
post #89 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Dee

Speaking of LC, have you heard Shawn Lane's cover of Cult Of Personality, Wade?
post #90 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:37 AM

No, as a matter of fact, I haven't. Where do you get it?

Speaking of Lane, I have still yet to receive that early mix of PoT (and the unseen videos)

Tags
dave mustaine , david lee roth , guitar players , guitar playing , heavy metal , iron maiden , jason becker , killer guitar , marty friedman , motley crue , paul gilbert , pearl jam , randy rhoads , richie kotzen , shawn lane , steve vai , strapping young lad , thrash metal , van halen , vernon reid , white lion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in