Hand pain - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Hand pain

Hi all,

I am experiencing some pain in the back of my fretting hand. Itís a constant ache, itís been on and off for the last couple of weeks. I think it may be just because my playing has been sporadic for the last couple of months, nothing 1 week and then 3-4 hours a day the next etc. I have been working on a lot of technical stuff as well as some technique specific exercises. It was aching all last night and I can still feel it this morning.

What do you guys reckon, anything to worry about ?.

On a few occasions a while back I had a sort of shooting pain / cramp in the same sort of place, every time whilst trying to play the same piece of music. Obviously I stopped as soon as I felt the pain and it went away pretty much straight away.

Also, just wanted to take the opportunity to say I hope everyone has a great holiday, I have really enjoyed hanging round here this year.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 AM

Re: Hand pain

It doesn't sound anything too serious. Sounds painful though. And it doesn't sound as though the pain goes away too quickly, especially if you still have it in the morning. What sort of technique specific exercises have you been doing? Because if its very "stretching" type exercises then that may explain it.

Especially as you say if its been sporadic. Thats probably the main problem. Not playing at all for a week, and then playing for 5 hours solid the next day isnt going to help any. Maybe just try warming up properly. With stretches and exercises.

Happy Xmas to you too!

Gary - The.Godfather

P.S. Still enjoying the Washburn
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Have a good one fella.

You bought anything recently ?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza1004 View Post
Have a good one fella.

You bought anything recently ?
No, not since the Washburn actually.
Which is unusual for me, lol. Some things will be changing early-on in the New Year though.

Did you get your JS1200 in the end?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:27 AM

There isnt much you can permanantly damage in the back of your forearm, the front would be different. Ive been slowing down lately but I still play for at least 2 hours every second day, I went 2 days only playing for a few minutes and had a reall hard time warming up on the third day.

Just be consistant and if you only practise a little a day then make sure its intense so your hands are still getting a work out.

Merry Christmas

You should spend a christmas down under if you dont like the weather there , I hope some of you will still be able to get down here to witness us win the ashes 5 nil with all the cancelled flights.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:37 AM

I would take it quite seriously, don't mess with it.

Try reading this http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/forearm-pain-symptoms.html

do some massage and try analyse when you get the pain and how. Is it when you apply pressure on the fretboard, when you use barre chords or simply when you bring your arm up to the neck?

Try identify what movements hurt, then go from there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Hand pain

That was an extremely useful link!!! thanks chimp
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
There isnt much you can permanantly damage in the back of your forearm, the front would be different.
Unfortunataly that is not true. I have been trying to recover from injuries to both my arms since April 2005 where I developed carpal tunnel in my right wrist and damage to both forearms front and back due to bad workstation setup at my office. Take it seriously and get it checked out if you are still getting pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode