Happy football is starting up!! - Page 2 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 AM

Re: Happy football is starting up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I 'forbid' my son to play soccer, I would like him to grow up with some dignity and respect
Do that! Make him wear pads and a helmet. That will make him a real man...

It's apparant that way too many of you have no idea what it means to enjoy a sport. Biting, payed off players/refs, diving and illegal drugs got nothing to do in a world of sport, be it american futbol or real football. There are stupid clips of both sports available, and it's easy to find "proof" that both sports are silly. That's not why we enjoy the sports. The best moments are where it's at, tiny moments of magic, when the impossible happens.

I hope you understand more about real football than I understand american futbol. At least the USA had a decent run in this year's World Cup, not bad considering 215 teams participated. Take notice that in the rest of the world, a world cup or world series includes the entire world. Norway has not managed to play in the american futbol world cup, yet. We are still trying to qualify for this event, not easy with 67 other teams to compete with.

So far american futbol is a tiny sport, maybe it will grow. Some stores here do sell handeggs, so we can in theory play. Just need to rob a hockey team for their padding, and we're good to go.

I <3 american futbol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 AM

I don't understand it. How a person who works 5 days a week can honestly justify sitting on a couch for at least 4 hours every weekend to watch guys run back and forth with a ball. How is that rewarding? How is that good use of your time? This goes for watching baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, hockey, you name it. For me it is a total waste of time. Not for guys who actually play it, but watching it, forget about it.

We only get two short days off a week to really live life, to do something, and people choose to sit on a couch focused on a television and watch other people play???
I can't understand it, anyway.
Life is so good and it will be over in the blink of an eye, we shouldn't waste a moment.

How is that for touching off a nerve?
post #18 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
I don't understand it. How a person who works 5 days a week can honestly justify sitting on a couch for at least 4 hours every weekend to watch guys run back and forth with a ball. How is that rewarding? How is that good use of your time? This goes for watching baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, hockey, you name it. For me it is a total waste of time. Not for guys who actually play it, but watching it, forget about it.

We only get two short days off a week to really live life, to do something, and people choose to sit on a couch focused on a television and watch other people play???
Life is so good and it will be over in the blink of an eye, we shouldn't waste a moment.

I suppose in the sense that you describe it, how could someone disagree. However, you would have to apply that to movies or anything else on TV period. Although, I think for most of us that are fans of any sport 1) you rarely watch it alone on your couch at home, if you are at a house it generally is a get together with family and friends, so you have the social aspect of it. 2) even better you are actually going to the games in the stadium to witness the event with again friends and family, as well as other fans. If you have never been to a sporting event with over 80,000 or so fans both the event and the area surrounding it can be quite the life experience. 3) Assuming you are here because you love music, how would this be any different than watching or going to a concert?
post #19 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM

http://youtu.be/gODZzSOelss

http://youtu.be/RGJb2iLvOKE
post #20 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Well said... totally agree, to some extent. I follow a few sports (NFL/NCAA Football, GNC flattrack racing, Pro Motocross/Supercross), but I don't actually get to watch them much. Sometimes it's nice to watch a little football or motocross... but I can't shake the feeling that I can never get those hours back! So I never watch for too long... although sometimes watching a movie, race, or game is a good time to practice finger exercises and scales. Or I'll even turn the volume down and play my guitar while glancing that the tv every now and then.

I really miss racing motorcycles... so that's another reason I watch them. I just can't be out there bangin' bars like I used to, now that I'm a grandpa. So there is a nostalgia thing with motorcycle racing for me.
post #21 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 PM

LOL!! Those are great!
post #22 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
3) Assuming you are here because you love music, how would this be any different than watching or going to a concert?

Hey Fastmerc,

Believe me, I get that my take is out of the norm.
My total time at concerts last year was about 5 hours.

That's different then 4+ hours every weekend added over the football and baseball seasons.

I very much respect that everyone is free to do. It's just when we really look at what we are doing with our time, sometimes the things don't add up.

Putting it out there as food for thought.
post #23 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Vendor

I can't imagine the 1000's and 1000's of hours I spent masterbating on the guitar that I can never get back. Thankfully I took 8-10 hours on Sunday and 4 more on Monday to enjoy some regular life activities to balance out the screwed up commitment I had to play guitar as much as possible. But I'd sure love to have some of those hours back to do something more commercially motivated so maybe I could retire someday!!
post #24 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

It's cool you have your opinion and everone else has theirs. What's that saying... Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one & they all stink.

I've had people say the same sort of thing to me about spending hours on end playing guitar and learning new techniques. They think it's a complete waste of life especially since I haven't played with a band in a while. To me it's enjoyable an not a waste but some just don't get that.

As far as watching football and any other sport for that matter, for me & my group of friend it's more about getting together, making food, hanging out and generally having a good time than sitting there quietly watching the game. Living in south Louisiana in the heart of LSU & Saints country and a culture where we'll throw a party for even the smallest reasons, tailgating & hanging out with frinends is almost as important than the game itself if not more-so. I would think most would not consider spending time with friends/family not a waste of time. On the weekends that we don't get together to watch a game I still watch by myself but I'm usually doing other things like house/yard work, tinkering in the shop, reading, etc while the game is on the TV or radio in the background.

Don't take anything I said personally, your're more than entitled to your opinion. I'm just trying to give a little insight on my perspective of things.

Anyway I say we get past all this mess about why football & sports do or don't suck and move on to talking about our favorite teams.

Big on college ball, Gators are my team! After such a bad 2013 season I'm hoping Florida will take that and turn it to their advantage. With some good returning players, some fresh faces on the field and in the coaching staff, I'm hoping the leadership goes strong & they get the motovation and kick in the pants they need to have a good 2014 season. Their first 2 games ought to be gimmie wins and a good warm up to ease into the season. We'll see what kind of team they really have when they play their first conference game against Kentucky. GO GATORS!!!

For NFL, I'm part of the Who Dat Nation. I'm not expecting a superbowl but as long as the Saints can avoid any major injuries or another dumbass scandal like that bounty thing they should have a good winning season. God that bounty scandal was so stupid, not like other teams don't do that, the Saints were the only team dumb enough to get caught. The 2012 season they got crapped on but came back strong in 2013. 2014 season should be no different than last year. WHO DAT!!!

Last edited by madasahatter; 08-07-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #25 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
It's cool you have your opinion and everone else has theirs. What's that saying... Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one & they all stink.
That's funny, but not all opinions stink and not all are equal. Everyone has a right to an opinion, but to go further (like most people seem to do) and say that all opinions are actually equal isn't remotely true.

Just sayin'
post #26 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:

It's called multi-tasking. I always have my guitar with me when watching a game. Play between breaks in the play, commercials etc. It's amazing how much guitar you can get in and still enjoy a game

-Wolfram
post #27 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 02:20 PM

FOOTBALL!!!!!
I'm already sleeping in my Eli Manning jersey every night, praying for a fifth Super Bowl trophy for the NY Giants!
Okay, it's long enough on me to be a nightgown, but hey, I'm doing my part, right? LOL
post #28 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Pics or it didn't happen lol
post #29 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Sorry Jim, ain't gonna happen. LOL
I don't even have pictures of myself on facebook, to many horror stories.
I may want to go into politics one day, you know. LOL
post #30 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I can't imagine the 1000's and 1000's of hours I spent masterbating on the guitar that I can never get back. Thankfully I took 8-10 hours on Sunday and 4 more on Monday to enjoy some regular life activities to balance out the screwed up commitment I had to play guitar as much as possible. But I'd sure love to have some of those hours back to do something more commercially motivated so maybe I could retire someday!!
awesome post Yup, pretty sure I can spare a few hours a week to chill on the couch and watch some football on the pvr...going for the Seahawks to repeat =)

Tags
footaball

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode