Happy football is starting up!! - Page 6 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Re: Happy football is starting up!!

We have more than a few issues with the law on the Niners this year.

That lack of depth on our team's remaining starters showed big time in the many penalties that had us with a 20-7 lead in the 4th blow it and lose 28-20. I don't know exactly on where I stand as to what outside actions an NFL player has on their suspensions or length of suspensions but with Seattle being who they are, we can't beat them in the NFC West this year.

We have to get better in order to catch Seattle, and not get guys get in trouble off field, not to mention the injuries on key defense guys. Our D will probably drop down to bottom half this season and as football history has shown, D usually wins the game/season. The only way to get past Seattle in this first half of season, where we are two D starters short, is to have Seattle get injuries. They are that good and the next dynasty in the NFL (with at least one more SB ring and three or four more NFC title appearances) with current team. Who the heck came up with the bright idea of putting the AFC West's Seattle into the NFC West?

I have slightly more hope for San Francisco's baseball team and we are just 3 games down from the NL's hottest franchise (LA Dodgers) and if we can win division in last two weeks remaining, we will be in good spot to get our 3rd trip to postseason in just 5 years. But across the bridge, the A's are in slump but had better and more consistent overall season and have better late season and late innings ability to spring back. The Giants, even though in 2nd, had two really ugly slumps this year. If Giants can't get ahead early, they wilt in regular season games (even though they have had some great postseason late rallies). I just don't like that the Giants have to be in postseason in order to take a game seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What is a law? Somebodies opinion, that they can convince 2/3's of the rest of the delegates is a valid opinion, and therefore, becomes law.

Not sure where "hillbillies" is appropriet when talking about what is PC today [because, you'd be in the wrong!] but hillbillies certainly have no monopoly on the use of a switch, belt, or the shoe your mom used to throw at you

Of course if you were whacked today CPA would be involved, because a parent can't spank their child to discipline them anymore. Because somebody had the opinion we should pussify America and convinced a majority it's was the right opinion, and the law got passed.
Thing is that you and M are cherry-picking data to support your personal beliefs. Which is human nature. I'd counter that your beliefs and viewpoints were established from a very, very limited pool of data. So in the absence of independent, critical thinking your views are of no surprise.

On top of that is the effect where you confuse kids who are innately "good listeners" or "people pleasers" and conclude the reason is because they have authoritative parents who don't let them be "spoiled brats".

Linking random events as cause and effect .

Laws change with society. Beating a kid into the hospital doesn't qualify for good parenting nor disciplining. Again beating, fear and physical intimidation NEVER motivates long term. Never has and never will. Never ever. You can convince yourself it does, but it doesn't change reality... glen
post #78 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Vendor

So you want to tell me mom whacking you with a spoon didn't motivate behavioral changes SHORT term? Which is what it is supposed to do.

I hear tonight the 1 son was 4 years old, and that is monsterous taking a switch to a 4 year old.
post #79 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So you want to tell me mom whacking you with a spoon didn't motivate behavioral changes SHORT term? Which is what it is supposed to do.
No real effect short... none at all long term. Why would they be expected to? It wasn't like i was beaten into the hospital. (Most) Kids also block out negative energy and if not you create a nightmare scenario for this kid.

I have no doubt i was a total PITA kid quite often. But any truthful & honest parent would admit that is expected from any child and they'd worry about the kid who doesn't act up on occasion. You really want a subservient 100% obedient kid for a son/daughter who sits and is "seen but not heard" and listens on command like a trained seal? Come on. ...glen
post #80 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 PM

kids have more of a say these days than ever before.

Kids should be disciplined more. I should have been disciplined more (fancy that ). We're all pieces of ****

But muzzling your kid is not the way to do it. Period. If you want to take a belt to your kids ass by all means go ahead, you can't stuff their mouth full of **** while your doing it. Come on, common sense.

Pussification? Yeah, Americas become pussi-fied. From lots of tbings. Like today- while hundreds of people are dying today, tomorrow, and every day in the Middle East today, I'm all excited because I just downloaded IOS 8 and can now send voice recordings in my little group chats on my phone. At least I realize that

We live in our AMERICA bubble.
post #81 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
No real effect short... none at all long term. Why would they be expected to? It wasn't like i was beaten into the hospital. (Most) Kids also block out negative energy and if not you create a nightmare scenario for this kid.

I have no doubt i was a total PITA kid quite often. But any truthful & honest parent would admit that is expected from any child and they'd worry about the kid who doesn't act up on occasion. You really want a subservient 100% obedient kid for a son/daughter who sits and is "seen but not heard" and listens on command like a trained seal? Come on. ...glen
My niece is raising her daughter with this new age bull****, and at my cousins wedding she ran around [literally] completely uncontrolled and making a spectacle of the whole affair, the whole time my niece chasing her around "talking' to her, giving her time outs, which lasted 3 seconds until she started out again. The whole time every other child there was respectful and well behaved, because they were raised the "normal" way. And EVERY SINGLE PERSON in that reception hall said "that girl needs a spanking! Absolutely no discipline at all."

I'll take a trained seal over that any day.

Nuff said.
post #82 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Don't judge until you walk in their shoes. Maybe the kid has a neurological issue. How does spanking help ADHD?

I'd have removed the kid, or not taken in the first place. But spanking wouldn't help matters at all. Get real! Not every wild kid is the fault of parents. Use some brainpower ��
post #83 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 PM

While the end of that is true,, if you don't teach a kid then they're going to do what they want 90% of the time,, and since children often never listen at all?, a spanking is often in order.
post #84 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Yes, kids will always be pains in the tucas, but so many are coddled today (I'll admit, I was coddled some) and there's almost no repercussions in many cases when a child does wrong.
Take away their games for a day, whoop dee doo. A spanking is not the actual punishment, it's an 'attention getter'.
I remember every spanking, not because it hurt a lot (if you're actually hurting your child, you are a monster) but because it made me stand up and realize, 'hey, I REALLY wasn't supposed to do that!'.
Short term behavioral changes, in many cases, will turn into long term changes.
I'm no authority, nor do I have any schooling in child psychology, but if you just look at people (kids) my age and younger, it's obvious that they truly act like they can do no wrong, and are amazed when they actually have to deal with consequences for their actions. What's changed since your generation that could have brought this on?
Many, like myself and it seems Rich, believe it's the lack of discipline kids get today.
And this lack of discipline started when the 'state' started sticking its nose in where it comes to parenting.
Yes, arrest the a-hole that puts bruises on his kid, or breaks his bones, but a whack on the ass to get your kids attention when he/she isn't listening is not something a parent should be vilified for, much less incarcerated.
I like your example, Kyle, but I don't think that demonstrates 'pussification'. That's a GREAT example, however, of how indifferent people have become to what's going on around them, and I think part of that is due to the FACT that people my generation, and younger (and in some cases; older) have been told all their lives how 'special' they are, and are made to feel they can 'do no wrong' and deserve to have anything and everything they want. And people do, as long as they realize they have to work for it, and if you 'do wrong' in the process of trying to get it, there may be consequences. Not disciplining your children is part of that problem.
Who cares what's going on in Iraq, Iran, North Korea, China, etc. I have my new iPhone, everything is perfect (as far as I'm concerned).
Everyone has an opinion, and we're all deserved of that. Some have education, some have experience, some have both, some have none of either......but I think this is common sense.
Parents are afraid to discipline their children today because of how they are treated when they 'get caught' doing something as benign as a slap to get the kids attention....and what has that gotten us? Kids that wear their pants down to their knees (and I'm pretty sure those of us that read know where that actually came from), who talk back to their parents, expect their parents to do everything for them, but still treat their parents like crap, and anyone that tries to tell them that the most important thing in the world isn't a new iPad.
Rich rammed into me about complaining about my hours at Wal*Mart. While I still stand by the idea that people should be expected to work 'reasonable' hours, I do understand his point of view. If you want to get ahead, sometimes you have to do things you don't want. But many 'kids' today don't get that, because of the 'nanny state' practically forcing parents to coddle, and not discipline properly, their children.
Dictated to me by Micky.
Hi guys, I'm Jeff and she was so passionate about this she couldn't type it fast enough with one hand. Didn't realize you guys got so deep on a guitar forum. LOL
post #85 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Don't judge until you walk in their shoes. Maybe the kid has a neurological issue. How does spanking help ADHD?

I'd have removed the kid, or not taken in the first place. But spanking wouldn't help matters at all. Get real! Not every wild kid is the fault of parents. Use some brainpower ��

She has nothing but a lack of discipline, with her "new age" parenting. And your "opinion" is in direct contrast to the 150 of my relatives present. You lose.

This is a FOOTBALL thread. Obey your own rules and if you want to discuss new age parenting start your own thread about it
post #86 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 PM

See? I keep telling you guys he loves me. I really was ranting a bit and he got every word.
LOL Not even a complaint.
post #87 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Vendor

Welcome Jeff, and good thing you're a good typer. That woman of yours can run on for hours sometimes, something I'm pretty sure you're aware of!
post #88 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 PM

He went to bed. I'll tell him what you said in the morning.
I may even be able to talk him into his own account now that he sees we don't just talk about Jems here.
post #89 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Vendor

He's got a big enough job just typing your rants out. His meechies are going to hurt!
post #90 of 180 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 PM

He just came back in to kiss me goodnight again and ask if I got any replies to my 'rant'.
I told him what you said. He just rolled his eyes and as he walked away I heard him say, "Don't I know it!"
MEN!

Tags
footaball

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in