Has anyone ever swirled a car? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Has anyone ever swirled a car?

Does anyone know if anyone has swirled a car???? Now when I say 'swirled a car' I dont mean a panel at a time,as this would look rubbish as the pattern would not match the next panel if they were swirled separately. Im talking the complete car with its engine, box, running gear, interior, totally stripped!!!
Im seriously thinking of doing this. If I did do this would it be a first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Has anyone ever swirled a car?

I think Darren swirled two Porsches for a racing team, but I don't know if that was a panel by panel job or what...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I guess you could fill a deep swimming pool with a mixture of water, Borax, and your oil paints, then use a crane to lift and dip your car in the mixture. Bwaaaaaah Haaaaaa haaaaaaaa!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I guess you could fill a deep swimming pool with a mixture of water, Borax, and your oil paints, then use a crane to lift and dip your car in the mixture. Bwaaaaaah Haaaaaa haaaaaaaa!
If I was stood in front of you now I would have a very serious look on my face and I would say " young man this is no laughing matter, Im not joking"
Im talking big big big tank, heavy lifting gear the lot!!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM

if you're comparing to how to do a guitar...............

you're gonna need a bigger bucket

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Swirling a through neck guitar from bottom to headstock is a mission in itself... swirling a car? You'll win the internet if you can do this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

If you could actually pull this off, and have it come out looking like a swirl, you would be my hero. That would just be awesome.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

As some of you know, I do swirl guitars. This all started when I went to my friends car body repair garage. The guy who owns it is a friend of my fathers and has been a real help to me from the very start of my painting career right back to the mid 1990's when I was painting cars. Tony (the man Im talking about) has restored a 1972 'fiat 500' and I was admiring the car and Tony said (jokingly) I should have swirled it. We then started talking about how we would have to do this. He said panel by panel, I pointed out that the swirl pattern would not match up to the panel next to it and it would be better to swirl the whole stripped car body shell!!!!
I have contacted the BBC's 'Top Gear' television programme as I think this is just the sort of madcap idea they would do. I will let you know how I go on.
I wont hold my breathe for a reply though let alone it even being considered by the BBC.

Maybe we could use a big rubbish skip and a hydraulic arm. It would cost a few £££ but I bet the car would sell for a good price. LMAO I cant stop laughing, This is just the crazy type of thing me and Tony and the other lads would do.......I am gonna follow this up.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a suitable waste of licence payers money, top gear might actually go for this

And if you can't swirl a car, maybe you could swirl The Stig?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
maybe you could swirl The Stig?
...except I suspect he is now sacked.

This does sound like just the sort of daft thing TG would do! Hope they go for it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM

got to be honest, the first thing I thought of is a psychedelic Volkswagen that hippies used to have their kids in (I know a guy it happened to). That being said, I can not find one with a swirl like what you are talking about. You might very well be the first. It could be done, A lot of car makers paint their cars buy dipping them in paint going down the line.

Off Topic: I love top gear and was depressed when the stig was revealed. Maybe they can get his american cousin, Big Stig to do it now.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 4

I think its plausable to swirl a car. but i also HAVE seen a harley swirled somewhere on here!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
got to be honest, the first thing I thought of is a psychedelic Volkswagen that hippies used to have their kids in (I know a guy it happened to). That being said, I can not find one with a swirl like what you are talking about. You might very well be the first. It could be done, A lot of car makers paint their cars buy dipping them in paint going down the line.

Off Topic: I love top gear and was depressed when the stig was revealed. Maybe they can get his american cousin, Big Stig to do it now.
The mental picture I got when reading the OP, was a VW Beetle. But one of those hippied-out VeeWee buses would fit the bill, too.
Another aproach to the "swirled" car, would not be a traditional swirl, but the method used on the old Vernon Reed ESPs--paint several layers of different colors, then sand in various patterns to expose the layers.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

There'll be another Stig, jsut like there was when the last one's identity was revealed. We've had the Black Stig, we've had the White Stig, it's time for the SWIRLED Stig
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Another aproach to the "swirled" car, would not be a traditional swirl, but the method used on the old Vernon Reed ESPs--paint several layers of different colors, then sand in various patterns to expose the layers.
wouldnt be as much fun as lowering a TVR into a big tank with a big crane!
We mentioned TVR as one of the body shop guys owns one and he says the body unbolts from the chassis........

I HAVE AN AUTOMATED REPLY FROM 'TOP GEAR' HERE IT IS........

Thanks for emailing Top Gear.

If your email is complimentary then thanks very much, we think you're great too.

If your email is a complaint, please send it to [email protected] where there's a dedicated team to deal with your feedback.

If you'd like to know more about the show, get tickets to be in the audience or watch great videos, visit our website at http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/

We don't have the resources to answer all emails personally, but we do read them and pass them to the relevant people.

BBC Top Gear team

..........So they do read them, well lets hope they have a look at my website, I did attach a picture of one of my swrils (the Ibanez RG 548 OMC that I did back in early may).

Tags
car , swirl , swirled car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

texasol61
texasol61
texasol61
texasol61

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode