Have you ever doubted a total fake/poser but then found out they were right? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Have you ever doubted a total fake/poser but then found out they were right?

When I was in a local norcal band sharing a home/garage studio with a couple of other bands, we used to have some drunks and addicts come by and jam and hang out. Often they would use the house, steal stuff at times, and basically cause trouble which was not really all that shocking. We didn't like that they could attract the cops who had a station across the street.

One such dude, we called Paul, I considered a loser who used to hang out during the day and build sand castles at the beach and use our studio to get high. He didn't play with us and claimed he was a singer who helped invent "speed metal".

I never paid him any mind and thought he was like the rest of them. His stories were so implausible I never thought it even warranted checking it out and WE all know people like that, right? And then, like a couple of others who had passed through the studio, he died. It was only after he died I found out he was right in his claim towards his contribution to heavy metal and prior stardom and influence on many others who followed.

A famous rock star had this to say about him and it just completely blew my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHgCZMevcns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Have you ever doubted a total fake/poser but then found out they were right?

That's crazy man, sad that these things happen to people too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: Have you ever doubted a total fake/poser but then found out they were right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That's crazy man, sad that these things happen to people too.
When somebody is completely down and out, unless you are there also or are a social worker, it's hard to pay attention.

I was tired of having studio rearranged and stuff missing or borrowed, or at the very least buying stuff for people or giving them a ride not knowing if they were out to score drugs. Some of us were older than the others who were at the studio and had little tolerance for the rock and roll lifestyle.

Every musician who was at the studio were very happy to be there, pumped up, and admittedly had high hopes. My guess is that he had no interest in jamming with such hacks like ourselves.

It's just weird when you meet somebody who said they were there, knew Metallica, toured, etc, etc and basically for us amateurs it's just hard to relate to a very talented person who helped write the book on speed metal or any other genre. It could be the guy who delivers your mail and maybe they were very famous for a few years in the '80s on the Sunset strip or hang out with more famous folk daily. One just doesn't know who that stranger musician is until you really know them. For a lot of people, this most talented of singers, and one many successful singers look up to today as an influence, was mostly known as a very good street artist doing sand work at the beach along with the other down and out artists.

Anyway, the next time a homeless person or junkie comes up and says they used to play or sing, I will jam with them. If I didn't know Charlie Parker, Jaco, or Keith Richards, I would think they were the local beach person building sand castles for a few bucks a day.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM

Wow man, that's a sad story. It's amazing that life can change for anyone at the drop of a hat. One minute, at the top of the world, life there for the taking. The next, down...reminiscing....telling random guys the stories from your earlier life, all the while knowing that they probably don't believe you. Finding company in drugs and alcohol, and ultimately being alone.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about fakes, I just paid a medical bill and thought of an old incident.

I used to know a man who talked about walking into other dimensions via man sized wormholes in the countryside and trying to shame me for not believing in UFOs or ghosts. I pretty much don't believe in something unless I see it. Yes I understand that time is relative (and largely a sloppy man made construct) and objects could pass through vast amounts of space using gravity but wormholes just outside of town? He was the conspiracy theory type (who liked to quote Alex Jones' types because they were outside of the mainstream and nothing more) so after a short time I didn't believe much of what he said.

But when my wife got hit by a slow moving car in a parking lot we got into an insurance maze of agents, lawyers, and medical bills, this UFO man said he used to be an insurance agent and broke down all the costs and how this thing should be resolved, even with all the bendable facts from both sides. Having worked in a hospital in insurance and medical billing and having done some law school, I didn't think anybody could just have a formula off the cuff, especially UFO man.

We took his 150%-250% percent injury formula and in a very short period of time all the chips fell into place and all bills were paid and insurance worked out without our premium going up. He told us how to word a demand letter and got us on it. The other side paid all costs plus another 100% percent and we were willing to take as low as 50% percent over but were shooting for 250% percent knowing they would try to settle for somewhat less according to my friend. We were thankful and pretty much in belief that of all the things UFO man wasn't he was pretty knowledgeable about insurance when the lawyers, consultants, and agents were clueless and making stuff off the top of their head.

You can never judge a book by its cover or even what most of the pages therein say! The guy who is the town wacko could also be the only former insurance agent you know or the town drunk could be (like my old guitar teacher) the best mentor for jazz guitar since he played for Miles Davis and Clint Eastwood (soundtrack stuff in studio). There are tons of people who, despite appearances, could have a special skill few have and that person could come to your rescue.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-02-2014 at 12:41 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Wow, that's amazing.

I've met some very creative spirits who you would think weren't quite there until they put it into creativity.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM

There's a guy with a studio in his garage who lives in the back section of my neighborhood. He supposedly lent Vai equipment for Passion and Warfare. I never believed it, but maybe I'll ask him sometime. Dosent hurt to give people a chance. Maybe Vai gave him an old Jem or universe or something and he dosent want it, and then he'll give it to me and I'll...

Alex jones kinda scares me. He's right on a lot of stuff, and I highly respect him for saying exactly what he believes, but I saw a video of him saying government is poisoning our food and I really couldn't take that seriously. And there was the time when he went on CNN with Piers Morgan and I couldn't stop laughing.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
There's a guy with a studio in his garage who lives in the back section of my neighborhood. He supposedly lent Vai equipment for Passion and Warfare. I never believed it, but maybe I'll ask him sometime. Dosent hurt to give people a chance. Maybe Vai gave him an old Jem or universe or something and he dosent want it, and then he'll give it to me and I'll...

Alex jones kinda scares me. He's right on a lot of stuff, and I highly respect him for saying exactly what he believes, but I saw a video of him saying government is poisoning our food and I really couldn't take that seriously. And there was the time when he went on CNN with Piers Morgan and I couldn't stop laughing.
He makes a lot of money doing what he does. For some who seek the truth it makes sense for him to appease the many Americans who are unhappy with the current two party system so it's easy to get on the bandwagon with him on certain news stories and scandals.

But when it gets into science fiction then I know it starts getting National Enquirer like and that's the fun part of the show. I don't take the extreme stuff seriously even though some people do. If there are aliens or secret robot government soldiers in my backyard I could at least put them to work and cut my lawn and pull a few weeds.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM

I like The Young Turks a lot and they've had some skirmishes with him in the past. TYT is my primary source of news now because I see all the problems of the mainstream media and they're really entertaining. I don't agree with everything they say, Im not one of those viewers that mindlessly eats up any information. With Alex Jones, I don't like the idea of him saying 9/11 was an inside job and that kind of thing, even if I DID suspect it there would be no way to be sure. It puts me WAY out of my comfort zone to suspect a conspiracy about everything, I feel id be much more paranoid, and as a teenager not even active in the real world yet, I feel that would be quite counterproductive. But I DO respect him and anyone else that had the balls to stand up for what they believe in.

I wonder if Alex Jones plays guitar...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 AM

A bit off topic, but I remember a guy telling me once to try a fried egg on a cheeseburger. Sounds crazy, but...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
A bit off topic, but I remember a guy telling me once to try a fried egg on a cheeseburger. Sounds crazy, but...
LOL!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 AM

I hate eggs
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
LOL!!!
Crazy, but TRUE!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Crazy, but TRUE!
I totally never heard of this but I am willing to try it out. It looks delicious. I used to hear about apple sauce on pork chops and though the idea seemed completely unpalatable, it really works as a combination.

Elvis liked to have peanut butter and bacon sandwiches and some say this type of diet contributed to his early demise. I wonder.

Whether this is true or some totally fake recipe, check this out (and some other implausible recipes). But wouldn't it be a trip if it was just some joke Elvis decided to put upon the interviewers and somehow it came to be a "fact" and posthumously some sort of enduring American recipe?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXcYiWkOMMo

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I think they sell these at Denny's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode