Hawaii moves to ban Aspartame - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Hawaii moves to ban Aspartame

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/...?billno=SB2506
It's in a ton of stuff, and marketed as NutriSweet here in The States. It's an artificial sweetener that is highly addicitive, can cause you to gain weight, and has been called a carcinogen by some as well.
There's some evidence that aspartame may be an excitotoxin: it contains certain amino acids that can damage neural tissue by causing nerve cells to go overboard firing, which leads to cell death, neuropathological diseases such as Parkinson's, Huntington's and others.

The main source on this is a book written by R. L. Blaylock, a board-certified neuroanatomist and neurosurgeon, some of whose conclusions are included in the survey entry here.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM

Re: Hawaii moves to ban Aspartame

I remember reading an article about aspartame when it first came out. The company producing this stuff made a lot of shady deals and concealed information to get this stuff approved by the FDA.

I've always stayed away from this stuff. It's in just about every diet drink made.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Hawaii moves to ban Aspartame

It used to be butter's bad for you eat margarine...now butter's healthier

Salt substitutes back in the day were worse for you they found out...

Saccharine causes cancer in laboratory animals so heres aspartame...sucker!!

I drink a ton of crystal light products...

I've been clean from drugs for a long time now, so I'll be around to see my kids grow up, and I'm still fvcking ingesting items that will kill me quicker and I don't even get high from it...WTF

It's like I can't win...

Pretty soon there'll be a thread "Hey they killed DEADTUNES...you [email protected]
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM

I'm personally skeptical about many of the negative things written about aspartame (I posted my reasoning in the 'Are we due for another revolution' thread.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:01 PM

A state one of the main products of which is sugarcane bans aspartame. Coming up next, Omaha bans tofu.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry View Post
A state one of the main products of which is sugarcane bans aspartame. Coming up next, Omaha bans tofu.
http://starbulletin.com/1999/11/19/news/story4.html
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM

It's probably the 6 Big Macs a day that cause weight gain, not the Diet Coke !!!

Is anything god for you these days
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Hawaii moves to ban Aspartame

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
It's probably the 6 Big Macs a day that cause weight gain, not the Diet Coke !!!

Is anything god for you these days
Are you saying I gotta quit Big Macs now too?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

myself and canadian mark have talked about this in another thread and it is obvious that mark knows what hes talking about and has reserched this stuff and i totally respect his opinion as i would anyone elses.

I will say this. Read up as much as you can, if you read a study done of this stuff see who funded it? If you choose to, this stuff is pretty easy to avoid. I would say watch the film ""Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World" you can watch the whole thing on google video. i think.

Also If you do want to look out for what you and your family are eating you might want to look out for MSG.... no! not the michael shenkar group monosodiumglutimate its in tuns of foods and this has been proven to cause holes in brains of rats thus making them..... thikker i thunk? i dont remember... yeah it did anyway its in loads of snack food, they removed it from baby food but kept it in the rest of the stuff, like doritos, which also has aspartame in(in some flavors).

HAGO and well done hawaii.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=guitarnutteruk;777479]myself and canadian mark have talked about this in another thread and it is obvious that mark knows what hes talking about and has reserched this stuff and i totally respect his opinion as i would anyone elses.

QUOTE]

Thanks Guitarnutuk! That's cool of you.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM

Splenda is where its at...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 4

Eat natural foods. They fill you up faster with less side effects.

Artificial foods are bad for you. It's that simple.

Bleached flour, "white" sugar, corn syrup, fake sugars, hydrogenated oils were all made to enhance corporate profits. They are not good for you.

Read your food labels. Shop accordingly. You'll be better off for it.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

So, beer is still ok then, right?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
So, beer is still ok then, right?

Beer will always be OK!

The organic beer market has actually heated up a lot in the last couple of years. Organically certified malt and hops is quite a hot commodity.

I kind of chuckle at organic beer because I don't think there is a brewer's yeast strain that hasn't been intentionally genetically modified to some extent. The same can be said for the barley and hops that are the result of breeding programs.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I just had my first La Fin du Monde, so we need to make sure that stays safe for a while yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

bridge moves when bending

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode