HDTV question - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

HDTV question

So I finally decided to take the plunge into the 21st century and buy myself an HDTV in the next couple weeks.
I have been doing some research, and have found a 48" projection I like, but wanted to get some opinions, and thoughts from people who have HD now as to what to look for (and look out for).
My budget won't allow me into the Plasma or LCD realm, so that area is off limits,but I have seen some nice sets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: HDTV question

room placement size and placement is crucial as well as time of day for viewing. a rear-projector HDTV with direct sunlight all day/evening will be frustrating.

make sure it has HDMI/HDCP inputs (2 or more a bonus) and a couple of component video inputs. you need those for HD signals (cablebox, xbox360, etc.). If you don't have digital cable (or a dish) you'll probably get a set with Digital OTA tuner (over the air) so you can at least pickup HDTV signals of local channels.

for plasma/lcd you'd have to go a little smaller. i haven't looked at 48" size range lately but if you post models i can give you a thumbs up or down. you're probably looking at a 720P model (1280x720 or 1280x768 resolution) ....glen
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 AM

I have a Samsung DLP, and I like it. But to do it now I think I'd go with a Sony 3-lcd model. When I got mine the LCDs' inability to do really dark scenes bugged me, and I didn't see the DLP "rainbow effect". NOW I can see the rainbow effect, and it seems the new LCDs are pretty durn good at darks/blacks. Still, no regrets. It is AWESOME having a movie-ish experience in your house (I got a 65").
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 PM

I think that it is really important to make sure your set is 100% HDCP compliant. If not, you be sad down the road when your HD DVD player won't send a full HD quality signal to it because it thinks you are trying to make a recording. A lot of people are going to be complaining about this once HD DVD/Blue Ray hits the market in full force.

If you haven't found this yet, you may want to do further research here:
http://www.avsforum.com/
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.
The TV is going in a smaller size living room with only one window.(I currently have an older 50" projection so I know about sunlight frustration)
The model I am leaning toward with price and features is the JVC AV48P776.
I am not a gamer at all, and not a huge AV buff, so I'm just looking for something with a better picture than my 6 year old Mitsubishi TV.

Heres the specs on that TV.
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...pid=SKU--81275
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

that is a CRT and probably does only 540p (not true 1920x1080 lines). i don't like cheap CRTs 'cause the light guns are typically too small and convergance and other issues abound. that said it would be a significant improvement of what you have with the right HD source (will look blah with SD sources like any larger RP tv)

why not look into their JVC LCOS models that do true 720p (1280x720p).

I would also go to a local shop and look at the Toshiba 52" 1280x720p models and other ones so you can see them first hand... glen
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 AM

If you want to be able to actually view HD-DVD's and BlueRay discs in Hi-Def make sure it has HDMI/HDCP suppport. According to toshiba and sony, the players for these discs will NOT offer connectivity via component (and they dont support 1080i either, so you'll be stuck with a 720p picture if id dont have a 1080p screen). It really annoyes me that they go so far to stop copyright theft that they just treat everyone as if theyre criminals.

I have a monitor (A Dell 2405) that supports hi def via component and DVI (but has no HDCP support). But i wont be buying a HDTV until its clear what these new players will need, as at the moment, its looking like a lot of people might be stuck with playing these hi def discs at a standard resolution.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 AM
site founder 0% owner

to clarify... (IF they will become relevant in the market is another discussion but) when Bluray/HD-DVD take off non-HDCP compliant monitors *can* be subject to ICT (image contraint token) which downresses to 940x560p over component (or non-HDCP DVI). Alot better than DVD but 1/4 the res of full 1080p. This IS A STUDIO decision and the disc has to be clearly labeled on the outside. Several studios say they are not going to "downres" so in that case you can get 1920x1080i (or 720p) out of component video or DVI without HDCP.

On the PC side you'll need VISTA for full res HD movies (if the ICT flag is enabled) and currently no video cards support HDCP (nor can they be 'upgraded') and only a handful of monitors such as the Gatway labeled flat panel... glen
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I went and did some more looking, and for the price, I thought the JVC just had the best picture.(at least to my eyes)
I compared it to some RCA's and a Phillip's and even a Mitsubishi they had, and so I went for it. Hey for $1033. out the door delivered, I couldn't beat it.
It was a pre-owned model, but only a couple months old (still looks new) nothing wrong with it, so basically an open box model.
I still got a 2 year in home warranty with it also...so hey.
The cable guy will be here today to hook up the HD, so I'll let you know what I think, but so far I am really happy with it.
Thanks again for everyones input, I always learn something new when visiting this site,,,guess Its why I keep coming back!
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 PM

This may be slighty off center....but what's with the Philips flat-panel TVs with Ambilight? You've all seen the commercials....the one where the dog comes into the room with 2 couples watching the soccer (or football if you're in the UK) game...the dog turns off the ambilight and the announcer says something to effect of "turn off the ambilight function and it's like going back in time...." then the camera pans to the 2 couples sitting on the couch now looking like Ward & June Cleaver alongside Ozzie & Harriett Nelson.
If switching it off is that bad......then WHY have it switchable in the first place??
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
for plasma/lcd you'd have to go a little smaller. i haven't looked at 48" size range lately but if you post models i can give you a thumbs up or down. you're probably looking at a 720P model (1280x720 or 1280x768 resolution) ....glen
Know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm looking into this as well, so what do you think of the Sony KDS-R50XBR1?
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

i should be clearer about LCD... they come "front panel direct view" (ie. an LCD computer monitor and like a plasma TV) as well as rear-projector (or front projector). Anyone looking "direct view" needs to make sure the resolution is at least 1280x720p. Some holdovers are 1280x768 (16x10 aspect ratio) which do true HDTV.

Techno.... that sony is a rear-panel LCD. Note it does NOT do 1080p. If you can get the price down its a nice TV. All of these should be demo'd in showrooms with know source material (ie. movies you are familiar with). The rear-projector LCDs will have some trouble with "dark scenes" so you'll often see these demo'd with bright, daylight videos to highlight LCD strengths.

If you go DLP you need to find ones with a faster multisegment "color wheel" to avoid rainbows.

I've never seen Ambilight in person but the premise of it is really, really silly ...glen
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 AM

I'm aware that Sony doesn't take 1080p input signals (though it actually does display in 1080p via upsampling which is kind of weird). I would love to get something that actually does true 1080p but I haven't seen anything under 60" that handles it, and 60" is too big for the room (so says my wife ).

Know of any 40" - 50" true 1080p sets that are <$4000?
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

only a few to choose from. here is a master running list (some not shipping yet)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=637614
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer
I'm aware that Sony doesn't take 1080p input signals (though it actually does display in 1080p via upsampling which is kind of weird). I would love to get something that actually does true 1080p but I haven't seen anything under 60" that handles it, and 60" is too big for the room (so says my wife ).

Know of any 40" - 50" true 1080p sets that are <$4000?
The resolution of 1080i and 1080p is exactally the same (1920x1080), it just that one requires more bandwidth than the other. Basically 1080i transmits every other line, every other frame (at 60fps), the chip in the tv merges the images together and displays them at 30fps (actually 60, but each image is shown twice). While 1080p transmits the entire image at a full 60fps.

If the TV has a very good de-interlacer chip (which will merge the lines into one image) then 1080i and 1080p will be quite difficult to tell the difference between.

1080i has been popular up until now because component cables dont have enough bandwidth to carry a full 60fps 1080p cable, but dvi is cable of it, and with every new TV now supporting HDMI, we should see a lot more 1080p compatible sets.

I guess this is the problem with adopting a new technology, it takes a while for the standards to be set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode