Help fight gas prices - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Help fight gas prices

Hey, I just read this in a myspace bullitin and think it makes a lot of sense since gas prices are getting pretty retarded where I am. Check it out:
<br>
"Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a
gallon by the summer and it might go higher!!

Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE
SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that
was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue
to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an
inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,
whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can rreally work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking
gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.09 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost! of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY
gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the messagereaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and ! pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If
you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am ... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Kerry Lyle, Director, Research Coordinator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 03:47 AM

Re: Help fight gas prices

This campaign ain't gonna do jack because the US is dependent on the foreign oil and the prices on that oil are rising every day. I head an anal-yst (that's what I call them) say on TV that it's entirely possible that the US will pay close to $100 a barrel five years from now. Imagine that.

I suggest simply buying less gas. You know, taking a bicycle, a bus or a walk, or buying a hybrid car from Honda, Toyota or Ford or a diezel car from Volkswagen. That's what democrats meant when they said the US needs to reduce the dependence on foreign oil. If only they chose candidate that had a chance, we'd be all frikkin' riding strictly hybrids by now and getting ready for hydrogen. :-)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 05:41 AM

Reviews: 1

1 this is SPAM, I have gotten these notes for a couple years now and its a fine idea, except You can't just boycott and expect prices to drop, some of us HAVE to commute, and MOBILE prices themselves out of the market around here.

When it's costing me almost 40 dollars to fill up my tank, why would I go someplace to spend 45? My guess is this email spam thing is hype from Mobile to get them to buy their gas.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/saudigas.asp
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 AM

Like it or not, the United States still have some of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) gasoline in the Western world. In the U.K. and France, they're paying upwards of $6 per gallon.

Why is a litre of gasoline cheaper than a litre of bottled water in North America?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson

Why is a litre of gasoline cheaper than a litre of bottled water in North America?
Because Evian spelled backwards is Naive.

Seriously, I am on board with Bamm on this one; once my SE-R runs it's course, I'll probably be picking up a diesel from VW and a Ducati Monster for when it's not above 90 degrees.

The Monster gets like 40-50 mpg, and the diesel VeeDub does really well too. I am tired of spending nearly $80 a week on gas (I drive 48 miles to work now, each way) and while that'll hopefully change after I relocate, any money I can save simply by changing vehicles is a good thing.

Besides, the new 2 liter VW diesel is a powerful little engine; still should be pretty fun to drive.

EDIT Sorry, MicroDmitry mentioned the hybrids/diesels, not Bamm.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Reviews: 3

This is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

PS - Darren: A litre of gas is NOT cheaper than a litre of water in the US. I pay under $1.50/gallon for water and pay over $2.57/gallon for gas. That silly statement has no basis. The reason gas is so expensive in the UK is because they tax it like crazy. Not to mention I believe Europe imports 100% of their oil whereas we import like 60% of our oil. If you're the producer, you have more control on the prices.

Did I mention this is the dumbest thing I've read all week?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski
Not to mention I believe Europe imports 100% of their oil whereas we import like 60% of our oil. If you're the producer, you have more control on the prices.
Sorry to say you are not as informed about Europe as you might like to think. Norway has produced oil since '73. Not that long, but we could be selfserved, and still we got a much higher priced gasoline than any other nation. Close to $2 per litre. And the reason is the environment. More costly gasoline, the less you drive. This country are not meant for not driving though, long distances for most people - to get anywhere - but it's not a huge discussion. Yet.

One other thing. We only got diesel, 95 and 98 octane unleaded and 98 leaded. In order of cost. What do you use in the north america? Huge price difference?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 10:50 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

that is a foolish idea by Kerry Lyle. First of all it is pointless. Second of all our *current* government coud care less about oil prices... right now they & their cronies profit heavily from it and in 2 years when this becomes 4x a problem they can't be re-elected anyways. Third, our dependance on oil is cemented for the next decade AT LEAST. Or country has been convinced to be MORE dependant on oil. People commute longer distances than 1-2 decades ago, the population is shifting to undeveloped areas (with no jobs - hence long drives to work). The new homes require more heating/cooling which further drains people's economic resources (never mind people who earn reasonable salaries spend more time driving to work than awake in their new home!).

Finally it is not economically possible to use less oil until the above is reversed... glen
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 11:02 AM

The octane levels for gasoline sold at the pumps in the U.S. is 87 regular, 89 mid-grade and 92 or 93 for premium.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamJem7
The octane levels for gasoline sold at the pumps in the U.S. is 87 regular, 89 mid-grade and 92 or 93 for premium.
Thanks! That means your prices should be lower, you're driving on mud.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:09 PM

Maybe we could declare an unjustified war on a practically defenseless country in the middle east to help make the oil prices go down. yeah that'd work.

~K
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:15 PM

All these hackneyed plans are trash.

HERE's the freakin' plan: USE LESS FRIGGIN' OIL.

Too many people in this country drive SUVs because of "style" when they'd do just as well in a compact car. Too many have big cars, or sports cars, or drive an hour to work because they could get away with it due to the cheap gas. 50 years ago, a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, and a gallon of gas were the same price. Only now are they all coming back into parity after years of gas being cheaper. This will drive people to make life choices partly based on greater fuel costs. THEN we will, as a country, use less fuel.

My house is oil heated now, but when this furnace goes it may no longer be. I already have electric hot water. My next car may well be a Prius, since I'll be able to get one used (now I have a Nissan Sentra). I drive 4 miles to work. The solutions are never easy or without some sacrifice, but there ya go.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Maybe we could declare an unjustified war on a practically defenseless country in the middle east to help make the oil prices go down. yeah that'd work.

~K
You think there's a connection?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:31 PM

AHAAHAHAHA Gas is only $.86 in canada, and your dollars stronger AAAAHAHA!!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:42 PM

IbanezroadstarII: Don't forget our prices are for litres and theirs are for gallons.

$.86 * 3.8 litres per gallon = CAD$3.27 per gallon. Factor in the current exchange rate and we're paying the equivalent of USD$2.65 a gallon for our gas.

In the greater Toronto area, regular unleaded broke into the $.90+/litre range last week, (equivalent to USD$2.84/gallon), but it's down to the mid-70s again.

Our cities and suburbs have been designed with cars in mind, because fuel has been so cheap for so long. But the infrastructure is still crumbling, and public transportation is a joke in many cities (Toronto included). Now that gas is getting expensive again, the flaws we've been ignoring in our urban planning are coming back to haunt us. We drive more than we should have to.

Tags
darren wilson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode